BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 14, 2012 8:36 pm  #41

Re: Which pill was the poisonous one??

The one thing that disappointed me in this episode is that we didn't find out if Sherlock was right. And he seemed to just take a guess. I wanted to hear a deduction on why the pill he chose was the right one.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 16, 2012 4:28 am  #42

Sam wrote:

The one thing that disappointed me in this episode is that we didn't find out if Sherlock was right.

I bet that was rather the point - driving us and Sherlock mad!

October 16, 2012 5:51 am  #43

The Doctor wrote:

Sam wrote:

The one thing that disappointed me in this episode is that we didn't find out if Sherlock was right.

Too true!

October 19, 2012 10:58 am  #44

The Doctor wrote:

Sam wrote:

I highly doubt that either pill was safe to eat. It's just more fun when you can believe that you had a fifty fifty chance. I think both pills were poisonous to begin with. It's all in the theatrics. You're so busy watching the pills that you don't look at the cabbie - like a magician's trick.

Cabbie: I'm gonna eat this one now.
Show's audience: Yeah right. You made a slight of mouth & expect us to believe you.
Cabbie: Sherlock believed me.
Audience: He's as much a drama queen as you are. Actually he's better at the theatrics part than you.
Cabbie's ghost after John has shot him: I'll have my revenge...

Last edited by saturnR (October 19, 2012 10:58 am)

October 19, 2012 11:06 am  #45

Classic crime plots would in that case suggest an antidote the cabbie had taken earlier ...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 23, 2012 12:58 am  #46

saturnR wrote:

The Doctor wrote:

Sam wrote:

I highly doubt that either pill was safe to eat. It's just more fun when you can believe that you had a fifty fifty chance. I think both pills were poisonous to begin with. It's all in the theatrics. You're so busy watching the pills that you don't look at the cabbie - like a magician's trick.

Aaaah, truuuue...........

October 23, 2012 2:30 am  #47

Or maybe the cabbie was ready to go, believing that Moriary would make a big payout to his kids if he killed Sherlock. I don't really think that's it. It's just an idea.

October 29, 2012 8:39 pm  #48

I am disappointed Sherlock didn't pocket the pill and analyze it chemically to see if he was right. Of course, I use the Princess Bride theory also ( that they were both poisoned)

October 29, 2012 9:26 pm  #49

I think the whole pill business is overrated and just one example of how Sherlock "ticks". It's not relevant whether the pill he chose was "good" or "bad". The fact that he exposes himself for (unnecessary) danger just shows how urgently he needs someone by his side, someone like John, who will be saving him from himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 29, 2012 9:33 pm  #50

The pills are an integral part of A Study in Scarlet which is the basis for A Study in Pink.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 29, 2012 9:33 pm  #51

You've got a point there. Which reminds me of something I saw on tumblr today which is a bit off topic but just a bit: The last thing John says to Sherlock face to face is: "Friends protect you." Which is just what he doesn't manage to do.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 29, 2012 9:34 pm  #52

But Sherlock does. Oops TRF topic really.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 29, 2012 9:51 pm  #53

Davina wrote:

The pills are an integral part of A Study in Scarlet which is the basis for A Study in Pink.

Of course I know this, Davina. Though - there's more to the pills than just being part of that canon story. It's like as if Sherlock is captioned with the statement: "Takes every unforseeable risk if not prevented from doing so."

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 29, 2012 11:49 pm  #54

Iwantthatcoat wrote:

I am disappointed Sherlock didn't pocket the pill and analyze it chemically to see if he was right.

So am I! I thought it was Sherlock's nature to get to know the truth, especially taking into account his willingness to prove his being wiser than the others, so I was highly disappointed that he ignored the pills analyzing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

October 30, 2012 7:22 am  #55

Wouldn't the police have insisted on taking the pills away to have them analysed to ensure they contained the same poison as that which had been used for the 'suicides'?

October 30, 2012 11:32 am  #56

You're right, but Sherlock could have thought of some way out... perhaps, taking some of the pill's inside stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

October 30, 2012 11:37 am  #57

Or Lestrade would tell him the result if only Sherlock would ask politely? 

Last edited by Harriet (October 30, 2012 11:39 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 30, 2012 6:28 pm  #58

Politely. Ha, ha!

October 30, 2012 6:35 pm  #59

And I don't think he would tell it to Sherlock if he was right. That would just magnify his oversized ego and that is the least thing Lestrade wants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books, lately?" -Q-

October 30, 2012 8:49 pm  #60

221B Baker Street wrote:

Iwantthatcoat wrote:

I am disappointed Sherlock didn't pocket the pill and analyze it chemically to see if he was right.

So am I! I thought it was Sherlock's nature to get to know the truth, especially taking into account his willingness to prove his being wiser than the others, so I was highly disappointed that he ignored the pills analyzing.

Perhaps he was so convinced to have chosen the right one that he didn't even bother to analyse them anymore? He is sure, he doesn't care what people think, the cabbie is dead, so there is no need to prove anything. Everybody else is not sure at all, of course. John thinks Sherlock is completely mad and a danger to himself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

Board footera