BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2012 5:56 am  #81

Re: Sherlock- Asperger's syndrome and sociopathy

Thank you for sharing, this is a fascinating discussion.
I remember even after series 1, vehemently defending Sherlock against the term ' freak'.
Plus as others have indicated, medical/psychological labels should only be used to help us understand.
There is nothing wrong with people who seem a bit different to the' norm'.
We should all by definition be unique personalities.
Anyway, who on Earth what's to be like everybody else?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 26, 2012 6:09 am  #82

besleybean wrote:

I remember even after series 1, vehemently defending Sherlock against the term ' freak'.
Plus as others have indicated, medical/psychological labels should only be used to help us understand.

And who IS "the norm"?
Agree.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 26, 2012 9:21 am  #83

Iwantthatcoat wrote:

I know this is being trite, but as a musician, I simply can not believe that anyone who plays violin at the level Shetlock does could be a sociopath. There is a depth of feeling there- and he plays alone, not just to impress others. That is a deep soul.
And no one who didn't care about people would rip off the blanket from a traumatized school marm (when the kids were kidnapped) and bother to explain why to her- after he got the information he needed. He wants to be seen as a sociopath so people will leave him alone. I used to think I was a sociopath because I valued privacy and despised small talk. I felt (feel) so out of place that I used to wonder what was wrong with my heart/feelings. Classic INTJ, as it turns out. In my case, also asexual, so that doesn't help matters with feeling disconnected and freakish.

I basically agree with you. I'm no psychologist and in fact know nothing about psychology except for what I learned watching the Oprah and Dr. Phil shows on TV. But my pet theory is that, insomuch as it pertains to his interpersonal relationships, he's a big fat phony. He has developed that brusk manner and sharp tongue as a self-defense mechanism-- keep everyone at bay, and then he won't have to deal with any of those idiots. People will let you down, big time; everyone knows that, after all.

Which would explain why he can still play violin so beautifully. And, I believe, why we find him so darned fascinating.

Last edited by ancientsgate (October 26, 2012 9:21 am)

October 26, 2012 3:47 pm  #84

I'm fascinated by him, because he says everything I would like to but daren't!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 26, 2012 4:11 pm  #85

Besleybean I completely agree. Does anyone find that watching and reading fanfic, etc starts to change the way you speak? I find my conversations with my brother have changed markedly, as has my language use in general. I want to follow Sherlock's lead.

October 26, 2012 5:56 pm  #86

Ancients Gate- I agree. I'm no real student of psychology either, but there was a criminally minded sociopath in my family and the guy was obscenely charming, not brusque. As far as true introverts, once you break through the wall I think you usually find an extremely sensitive person in desperate need of protection.

October 26, 2012 10:31 pm  #87

Which is what John is finding.

October 27, 2012 2:31 pm  #88

Iwantthatcoat wrote:

As an INTJ, ................

Why do you describe yourself this way? Consult?

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 27, 2012 3:10 pm  #89

Kazza, are you asking me why I consider myself INTJ? Not understanding the question.
Previous poster was discussing Meyers-Briggs and personality types.

Last edited by Iwantthatcoat (October 27, 2012 3:13 pm)

October 28, 2012 11:39 pm  #90

I'm no psychologist, but just for fun let's give Sherlock the PCL-R, just to look at his possible sociopathic traits. In the UK, a 30 or above can get you sent to Broadmoor. The average person not in prison allegedly scores about 5.

01. glib and superficial charm: 1
Although Sherlock is often immediately charming, he lets his act drop around people he knows and doesn't let the charade go on for long. Donovan and Anderson are fully aware of his true personality and he sees no need to con them into thinking he's a normal individual with ordinary feelings.

02. grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self: 2
Sherlock holds himself in very high regard and very rarely second-guesses himself, whether this could damage other people or not.

03. need for stimulation: 2
Clearly.

04. pathological lying: 1
Sherlock is for the most part a fairly honest individual, but one example where he lies about something important for his own ends is when he "drugs" John.

05. cunning and manipulativeness: 0
Sherlock displays very little malicious manipulation. In cases when he manipulates people, such as the wife of the disappeared banker in TGG, it's usually someone who deserves it/from whom he needs information for a good purpose.

06. lack of remorse or guilt: 1
In THoB he shows little remorse for locking John in the lab, but after his deduction about Molly's "new boyfriend" he shows somewhat genuine remorse.

07. shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness): 0
He doesn't show emotions, period, which shows honesty and not deception.

08. callousness and lack of empathy: 1
"Will caring about them help save them?" However, as stated above, he does reassure the housemistress in TRF and in the pool scene he expresses regret that people have died in Moriarty's game.

09. parasitic lifestyle: 1
He preys on Molly for things that he needs, but otherwise there is no evidence of this trait.

10. poor behavioral controls: 0
In my (not professional) opinion, Sherlock has a good leash on himself behaviourally. Everything he does is quite calculated and intended.

11. sexual promiscuity: 0
Erm...no.

12. early behavior problems: 0
We don't hear about any, so we can't assume.

13. lack of realistic long-term goals: 0
On the contrary, his life goal of continuing his career for the rest of his life seems quite realistic, at least for him.

14. impulsivity: 2
Leaving the house with no pants on just to annoy his brother, shooting the wall in the flat, beating bodies with a riding crop, heading to a pool where a known criminal mastermind is located with no backup of any kind, and breaking into a government base knowing that there's a possibility of getting caught? Yes, I would say he's impulsive.

15. irresponsibility: 1
See above. He does behave in a responsible manner when the situation calls for it, like offering to get the groceries (even if he didn't really intend to)

16. failure to accept responsibility for own actions: 1
Again, when he gives John the coffee laced with sugar.

17. many short-term marital relationships: 0
No.

18. juvenile delinquency: 0
See item 12.

19. revocation of conditional release: 0
Despite the fanfic, we have no evidence that Sherlock has ever been in jail or rehab, let alone violated terms of his parole.

20. criminal versatility: 0
We haven't seen Charles Augustus Milverton yet.

Total: 12, but I was being quite reluctant to score him with '2's on some things. Does anyone disagree with my rating?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 29, 2012 12:43 am  #91

I would up parasitic lifestyle as he requires John to do simple things for him such as bring him phone and pen.

October 29, 2012 1:35 am  #92

Aurora wrote:

Hi Davina,

Temple Grandin is a brilliant woman. I saw a documentary on her life a couple of years ago. Well worth seeing if you get the chance. She has amazing insight into how both animals and people work - I learnt a lot from it. 

There was also an HBO dramatization of her life. I think Clare Danes played her. I haven't seen it.
I did hear TG speak here in Ann Arbor a couple of years ago, though.

Last edited by veecee (October 29, 2012 1:35 am)

October 29, 2012 1:38 am  #93

Mattlocked wrote:

besleybean wrote:

And who IS "the norm"?
Agree.

When I was studying speech pathology and audiology a long time ago, we learned that average and normal are not the same thing. Normal can cover a wide range,

October 29, 2012 6:59 am  #94

I don't think either the no pants or the riding crop are impulsive...they were both planned for specific purposes.
We don't know how he got involved with the police,.  However it was, it seems to have set Sally permanently against him and Lestrade is obviously aware of drug issues.
Oh and he does escape custody in Reichenbach!

October 29, 2012 12:59 pm  #95

Iwantthatcoat wrote:

I would up parasitic lifestyle as he requires John to do simple things for him such as bring him phone and pen.

Well, he does have a certain adroitness 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 29, 2012 4:44 pm  #96

To be fair, both boys are parasites on Mrs Hudson.

October 29, 2012 4:55 pm  #97

To a certain extent, yes. I was a little shocked how quick John demanded not only tea but also cookies at their first encounter 
But Sherlock is way worse 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 29, 2012 5:06 pm  #98

That's boys for you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 29, 2012 5:44 pm  #99

besleybean wrote:

To be fair, both boys are parasites on Mrs Hudson.

Parasites?  Wow, that's a strong word. Presumably, rent is being paid, after all.  She loves Sherlock because of what he did for her, taking care of her husband. And then beyond that, she allows him a certain amount of leeway about his behavior, as one might a quirky adult son. I don't think they're parasitic. I think they're family.

October 29, 2012 5:45 pm  #100

Oh sorry, I was only referring to a previous post!

No, I don't think they are really parasites...it wasn't my word, honest!

Board footera