BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2012 6:43 am  #21

Re: Why am I here?

SusiGo wrote:

I'd never question your opinions as everyone has a right to his own opinion.

But would you not question it if you could not see how I came to such a conclusion? So many times I see posts that state something is a fact when I cannot see that at all. Usually what I CAN see is a preconception being applied to a situation or some kind of urban myth being used to strengthen an argument. Thoughts are posted on forums just as they are spoken out loud in real life. If I hear something that makes no sense to me, I will ask " How do you work that out?" or similar. I do the same here, ask for some kind of proof or justification. Oddly, people see that as a 'nasty' challenge. It's simply a challenge, no malice intended.
Basically I am saying ' ok, you have obviously worked that out somehow, but I can't, please tell me what you are thinking'

It's not the content I sometimes find hard to accept but the packaging. E.g. if someone is new to this forum and asks a question that has been discussed at an earlier point it's okay point this out and post a link to the thread in question. But I think you don't have to tell someone off who's just came from lurking in the shadows and is making his/her first steps in the forum. And it would be a daunting task to read everything in every thread before contributing yourself.

I believe I did do that, yes. I cannot recall the circumstances. I don't make a habit of it and if I did, the other staff or all you members reading would soon tell me off.

Of course the individual personality and style of the members are reflected in their posts and you seem to be a very different person from myself which is a normal and healthy thing. I try to live according to a very simple and important Buddhist motto: "Be kind." This doesn't mean that I don't speak out against things that bother me but I try to do it in a friendly way. And I appreciate the funny and friendly atmosphere in this forum.
I look forward every day to come here and I love communication with people from all over the world because we have one thing in common: our love for Sherlock.
Don't know if this fits the thread but I needed to say this. 

Oh I am quite sure we are different in many ways! Using a phrase from my previous post ' friendly' is also in the eye of the beholder.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 7, 2012 6:47 am  #22

Dramagod wrote:

I originally came here because of the show. Then I noticed majority of users here are females (and lovely ones may I add) and since the show is now on hiatus and I'm not reading any Sherlock books at the moment, I mostly come here for the day to day discussion with the ladies. There, I said it. Don't you judge me.

Dramagod wrote:

@kazza - if you ever call my ideas stupid, idiotic or insane, I'll pull your hair and steal your lunch on the schoolyard. I hope we understand each other.

My opinion of you has not changed sir. However you have forgotten, I do not bring lunch with me and my wig is firmly glued.
Therefore, your ideas on this matter are .... negated.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 7, 2012 6:49 am  #23

veecee wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

It can be either.

One thing I was remiss in saying however is this: My comments are made to posts. Those posts contain ideas and they are what I am criticising; not the people tapping the letters on a keyboard.
Until I say " you are a stupid idiot" all I am posting is that 'your idea is stupid/idiotic/inane.'

Thank you for that fine distinction, kazza!   

Most welcome.
I'm actually surprised the idea is so foreign to some. How on earth do people use the internets if they are so easily offended by words on a screen?

Oh, btw. thank you to those who left kind remarks or compliments.However please, that was not what I wanted. I actually think I am doing a crappy job at the moment as I cannot give the forum as much attention as I would like.
But I'll muddle through. Meantime Davina & the Boss have things under control.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 7, 2012 7:09 am  #24

Eek! No pressure!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 9:02 am  #25

kazza474 wrote:

Dramagod wrote:

I originally came here because of the show. Then I noticed majority of users here are females (and lovely ones may I add) and since the show is now on hiatus and I'm not reading any Sherlock books at the moment, I mostly come here for the day to day discussion with the ladies. There, I said it. Don't you judge me.

Dramagod wrote:

@kazza - if you ever call my ideas stupid, idiotic or insane, I'll pull your hair and steal your lunch on the schoolyard. I hope we understand each other.

My opinion of you has not changed sir. However you have forgotten, I do not bring lunch with me and my wig is firmly glued.
Therefore, your ideas on this matter are .... negated.

Oh it is on!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 7, 2012 9:11 am  #26

Dramagod wrote:

Oh it is on!

Oh my dear, I've never actually considered it to be 'off' between us.

Funnily enough, my original reason for this thread has gone a bit sideways but i will get around to a few points of concern eventually. ... Well maybe, I just thought someone would have brought it up by now
I'll get to it when I have more time.

Do carry on, and Mr Drama ... I'm watching you!
(Note : perfect time for use of exclamation mark)

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 7, 2012 9:25 am  #27

To be perfectly honest I read the opening post of this thread and wasn't 100% sure what this thread is about so I just thought people should post the reason why they're here. Which I guess doesn't make sense since this is a Sherlock board, why else would they be here if not for Sherlock. Except me, who's here for the women of course.

I consider us being in the on/off -situation considering I haven't seen you once and you haven't brought me breakfast in bed for like, ages.

I won't derail your topic anymore I'll just say that if it comes to that, I will destroy you kaz. Without hesitation.

Oh yeah, and I'm watching you too! Like a hawk on a sunny cloudless day with a pair of state-of-the-art hi-tech binoculars after a good night's sleep.

Last edited by Dramagod (October 7, 2012 9:26 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 11, 2012 2:09 am  #28

This is an interesting thread. It's funny actually, Kazza, you are a lot like my brother (or appear to be, based on what I've seen here). You are very ready to criticise another person's opinion, but seem to take it quite hard when others criticise yours. I note you comment earlier that "the posts here have validated what you expected" or words to that effect and I couldn't help but think about the circular notion of "you reap what you sow". You seem to enjoy the conflict and confusion you create; and that's fine. What's not fine is pretending that it is anything else. And I have seen occasions where someone has posted a question or opinion which to those who've been in the fandom for a while and have gone over and over and over (ad nauseum) some of these questions seems inane, banal, pointless or re-hashing and you've responded in a very derogatory fashion. It would seem more appropriate to point out to the newcomer that their quesiton or opinion has been discussed elsewhere and perhaps they'd like to check out (that) thread.

Anyway, I know that you are only going to ask me for examples and I honestly don't have them because I can't be bothered looking for them right now. What I'm trying to say is that I think you know exactly how your posts are going to be taken and that you are looking for that reaction. You could, if you chose, post in a more moderate fashion but you choose to be confrontational and personally, I don't think it's necessary. It makes me wonder what you get out of it.

Having said that I, like many others on the forum, enjoy some of the discussions you prompt. I do believe those discussions could still be prompted without being deliberately obtuse or offensive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 27, 2012 1:02 pm  #29

I do apologise for not replying here for sometime.
Real life took priority for a while & I only ever checked in & looked for any moderating problems etc for quite a few weeks there.
During that time, I reflected quite a lot while trying to take my mind off other things.

In short, Wholocked, that statement is an overused one that means very little really.

You are very ready to criticise another person's opinion, but seem to take it quite hard when others criticise yours.

That would be true of someone who said "no no no"; however I am saying " please explain". So I am NOT taking it quite hard, I am simply saying ' I acknowledge your criticism, please back it up with some facts or observations'. Now if someone is willing to criticise what someone else says, it should not be that hard to explain their reasonings should it? That is all I am asking; back up what you have said; persuade me  to see things your way. It's not negating what is said, it is asking for a reason to change my way of thinking. And that is NOT the way someone who refuses to change their opinion would act is it?

On the subject posted earlier about me being 'rude' to people & saying their opinions/ideas are silly etc; I noted several days later one of my detractors doing exactly the same thing! I gather the only difference is that they are NOT a moderator and therefore they aren't 'gagged' as you wish I was was in my role.
There are numerous other examples of 'rudeness' dished out by members., quite a few at me actually. 'Backhanders' again from the same group that have banded together in this thread. But they have either been deleted or ignored, buried for those who chose to dig to find them. They really are water off a duck's back.Nothing made them stick.

I shall make 2 more posts in this thread, separate to make replying to either easier. They will outline my original intent for this thread; to air the reasons I have to object to certain issues here.

But finally to reiterate what I originally posted: I joined this site to discuss BBC Sherlock, it's storylines & adaptation of the ACD canon.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 27, 2012 1:21 pm  #30

What shall I say? Some here tried their best to explain, with honesty and good intentions.
It doesn't make any difference, though, it just makes you once more run down your board fellows here.
I'm not interested in discussing this issue with you any longer.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 27, 2012 1:40 pm  #31

My #1 objection to the antics of the Sherlock fan base is this:

The insistence of a Gay relationship between Sherlock & John.
This is widespread across the online sites & has NO basis really. A few throw away jokes in the script? For heaven's sakes, these were orchestrated by Gatiss, poking fun at the heterosexual world's insistence of "we accept gays".
It's a good laugh, a funny jab at those who deserve it but in now way does it have any basis.

In reality the 'reasons' given for "they must be gay" are the same reasons young people kill themselves in alarming numbers each year.

It is NOT a laughing matter; its not a subject that should be 'pushed' online.

People bit my head off on this very forum for calling 'grammatically correct' people " Grammar nazis", because it somehow evoked feelings of glorifying a past political group in Germany. I politely pointed out , the word had no capital & therefore was NOT relating anything to that part whatsoever & IS an acceptable term in modern society. Also, the percentage of people directly affected by that word would be very small, we don't have many members of that age here.

So why, in the same instance are people not more aware & sensitive of 'pushing' the " they must be gay because they get on so well together" line??? People are dying TODAY because of this very real stigma that society and its warped perceptions of homosexuality and sexuality in general are creating.
Over 70% of those who 'say' they accept homosexuality in fact do NOT. Homosexuals are seen as today's "stray dog". "Awww aren't they cute; iI'll take one in to my circle of friends". But the reality is very different.
The number ONE difference is that you even acknowledge them as 'my gay friends'.
I won't explain it further (as it becomes quite clinical) except to say please .... love people for what they show you; love people for the image they give you. If they want to give more or less, that is their choice but do not ever make assumptions on who they are. Does it really matter? Do you really need other people's lives to fantasise about? That makes your own quite boring doesn't it?

When I logged in here I read a thread discussing how Christians are to blame for not accepting Homosexuality. That is one hell of a cop out; let's lay the blame at the feet of a religious group!
Let's forget the deep seated emotion of human beings to 'shun' or be wary of those who are 'different'. Let's forget that most of us unknowingly accept the teachings of our early years unless challenged.
It is NOT a bad thing for humans to shun what they do not understand or have not experienced. It is also considered 'normal'.

Example: many do not understand the symbolism of wearing a burqa. There are many 'wives tales' regarding this. And yet to those with whom it DOES relate, the meanings are deep set, often religious and usually cultural; whether they be good or bad. But for those that it does not relate to, commenting on it is really irrelevant, small minded and often detrimental to any cause.

Yes, that is an extreme example but it shows the depth of misunderstanding in either topic and how damaging supposedly 'lighthearted' comments can be damaging.

In closing & back to this topic, the focus on sexuality and the insistence on sexual related matters here disgusts me. I deal daily with people trying to handle society's views on these matters. I don't need to come online & read more archaic views on what 'is sexy'.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 27, 2012 1:42 pm  #32

Harriet wrote:

What shall I say? Some here tried their best to explain, with honesty and good intentions.
It doesn't make any difference, though, it just makes you once more run down your board fellows here.
I'm not interested in discussing this issue with you any longer.

Really? Please for once say what you mean or at least make a point because you havent thus far.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 27, 2012 1:53 pm  #33

My 2nd main issue here:

Honestly, I have typed it out 4 times & still it reads like a novel.

In short, I joined to discuss the story, the plot & the thinking behind it all.
I didn't want a fangirl site yet that is what we have now.

I'm actually well known in several sites for saying " If we ever get a 'counting' thread.. shoot me" ... aim well.

**Staff - Mind Palace**

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

October 27, 2012 5:20 pm  #34

kazza,

I haven't posted much lately, so maybe it isn't fair for me to join the fray (it shouldn't really be a fray at all, actually, but we're imperfect people, so I guess that's sort of what it is), but may I offer just a tidbit or two?

-"grammar nazis"--I consider myself one, and don't mind the term at all. That someone would take offense at the term is, well, more revealing about the offended person than anything else. Nonetheless, I feel proper grammar is important, so I tend to be irritated when it isn't utilized more.

-"homosexuality"--I agree with your statement that the focus here on sexual matters is disgusting. Since I believe strongly that homosexuality is an aberrant form of sexual expression, I also am aware that our reasons for being tired of all the references are founded on quite different premises. I particularly find the thread entitled something like, "So you still think homosexuality is sinful", to be quite in poor taste and unecessary on this sort of forum. I would like to offer a rebuttal to some of the ideas there, however, at some point, as I think there are major logical flaws in the argument, and I do believe the discusion of logical flaws is germaine to our purpose here.

-criticisms you have received--seem to be, at least in part, justified, if not well-stated. Several years ago, my best friend told me, quite bluntly, that I was an arrogant ass and that I constantly offended people with my bad attitude. He quite "rocked my world", as the young people say (or used to, I guess). I was mad, angry, and furious for some time. I knew in my heart that I never meant to be anything like that, and didn't view myself that way. I finally decided that I could stay angry, or start some really deep soul-searching to see if there was any truth to what he had said (I mean, we had not argued, so why would he simply make up such a horrid thing to say to a friend?). To my shock (and dismay) I eventually came to realize that he had been absolutely spot-on. To condense the story, that day (when he told me those things) was a turning point in my life, and I am eternally thankful for his directness and tough love. We all need it from time to time.

Well, that's that. Thanks for listening...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

October 27, 2012 5:24 pm  #35

I take exception to some of the views being expressed here, tho fervently uphold the right to free speech.
So it's up to the staff.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 27, 2012 7:00 pm  #36

Why am I here?   To  not be BORED.   To  speak, of my opinion,  and perchance, to dream.    Dream Of Sherlock and John in other situations...To play,  yea,,  to be amused.   Simple,  really.   To be here,  or not to be here,  that's the question.   

Ok  I'm  on a shakespeare run.    Bye!!  have a great  day  all!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

October 28, 2012 3:49 am  #37

Well... I haven't been here for a long time, but I really, strongly and violently disagree to some things said there. I won't say anything and think about free speech, so I'll shut up because otherwise they'll be blood (I bite).

Tantalus wrote:

I agree with your statement that the focus here on sexual matters is disgusting.

But really? What are you talking about? Maybe I don't see it or it changed a lot, but the way you put it, it's like the forum is not really about Sherlock. I don't know, maybe we don't check the same threads.
And to go with the thread, I have no idea why I am here. I like Sherlock, saw a link to a forum, was bored, so I signed up and here I am.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wanted! Schrödinger's cat. Dead and alive."

October 28, 2012 8:23 am  #38

Yes, I was so cross and didn't want to get OT- so I forgot to answer the thread title.
I'm here because I met the lovely Boss and she told me about her forum, which I had never heard of!
I am still with my old forum, as I have been for nearly 2 years now.  But sadly that one is very underused.
This place is vibrant .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 28, 2012 9:35 pm  #39

People can read what someone has written any way they like in their head. They can read it with a rude tone even if it's not intended. You could say the same thing to someone in person and they may not be offended then. Maybe taking this into consideration when you post something that is questioning someone's thoughts? To possibly simply re-word something when it is about another member's opinions? I get the impression you don't want to cater to anyone or change but it's just a thought. I don't think this is about changing per se, just at least adding some smileys or something? I dunno :/ And I would suggest to stay away from threads that annoy you but you can't really when you're a mod, right? You could split up sections of the forum between mods?

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 30, 2012 10:11 am  #40

Topic Closed:

Kazza put this up because she needed to get a few things off her chest, which she has now done. A few have you have responded and the discussion has been somewhat lively. I now feel that everything has been said that needs to be said and if the topic is left open any longer it's in danger of descending into arguments and falling out...not something I want to see on here.

This forum is for discussing BBC Sherlock, the actors and production team, and anything related to Sherlock Holmes in general. Anyone from the very wide world of Holmes is welcome - old and young, new fans and seasoned pros. All views are welcome, although that's not to say all views will be agreed upon by all members.

The only thing I ask is that you don't say anything racist or homophoboic (or any other kind of thing that might fall into that bracket). Be polite and civil to one another. Respect each other's opinions and views, and don't be offended if someone doesn't agree with you.

If you have been hurt, upset, confused or offended (or any other related emotion), by anything anyone has said on this board, I advise you to contact me and give me details about what was said. I'll then look at the situation and offer you some advice about how you can mediate. I'm not going to ban anyone unless they spam, troll, overtly advertise or directly cyber bully another member.

Like I said, any concerns, just PM me.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera