BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2012 7:26 pm  #21

Re: Questions about the Episode

Of course.
Tho he could have used a happy coincidence!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2012 7:40 pm  #22

I'm a little confused about Henry's return "home." Had been away since the incident, so that a caretaker, perhaps was in charge of the house for 20 years? Who took care of him as a child? Didn't he say he had come back on the advice of his therapist? If so, where is she from? Did she follow him back? And was she giving him sessions in his own house? I guess he was rich enough to pay for that.

For a rich guy, Henry sure looked disheveled in his first scene (not to generalize about rich people vs poorer ones). Was it just because of the mental issues, the lack of a cigarette, or the early rise? I mean, he hadn't even wiped the ketchup (catsup) off his face!  And how do you get nicotine-stained hands these days -- by smoking non-filtered cigarettes?

Why did Sherlock at first say he wasn't going to tend to the case himself? I get the nod to the canon, where Sherlock doesn't go with Watson and Sir Henry, but I didn't quite get the reason for Sherlock at first refusing. Was he just busting John to see if he would give in?

Sorry, these aren't particulary well organized questions. I'm just kind of thinking out loud (well, on the screen).

On a lighter note, did anyone else think of "our Rose" from "Keeping Up Appearances" when John discovers the couple in the car that were making the headlights blink?

October 18, 2012 7:44 pm  #23

No, but as Steven says, it's the best updating so far!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2012 10:14 pm  #24

besleybean wrote:

No, but as Steven says, it's the best updating so far!

Which question is the "no" to?

October 19, 2012 6:29 am  #25

I didn't think of Keeping Up Appearances.

October 19, 2012 7:28 pm  #26

But you know what I was referring to, don't you?

October 19, 2012 7:30 pm  #27

Oh yes, entirely.

October 19, 2012 8:00 pm  #28

veecee wrote:

For a rich guy, Henry sure looked disheveled in his first scene (not to generalize about rich people vs poorer ones). Was it just because of the mental issues, the lack of a cigarette, or the early rise? I mean, he hadn't even wiped the ketchup (catsup) off his face!  And how do you get nicotine-stained hands these days -- by smoking non-filtered cigarettes?

The writers take every opportunity to have Sherlock make his deductions.
I think the ketchup/nicotine stains just serve this purpose; they are the starting points for the "show off" deduction.
Sherlock could have easily identified Henry as being a smoker by smelling his clothes, but the TV audience of course isn't able to ascertain that. Visible nicotine stains enable us to reconstruct Sherlock's thoughts on this matter.
As far as I know ACD had to put up with the reproach of being unfair to his readers because they allegedly weren't able to find the solutions by themselves - until tada! Sherlock Holmes appeared with his brilliant mind. That's why ACD put all the clues and hints in the story - then it wasn't HIS fault that the readers couldn't put two and two together.
This, of course, reminds me of the Sherlock writers who claim that even someone who has watched TRF just once could tell how Sherlock faked his death - if that person would only be as clever as Sherlock...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 19, 2012 8:03 pm  #29

I can't read what you wrote, because I am distracted by your signature image!

October 19, 2012 8:03 pm  #30

Or them!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 25, 2012 7:26 pm  #31

Just re-watching.
Can you all picture the scene when Sherlock and John 1st take Henry back to the hollow?
John gets separated, so it's just Sherlock and Henry toddling along chatting.
Sherlock starts asking Henry about Frankland.
I've always liked the thoughtful, quiet presence of Sherlock at the end of the exchange.
But it's only just dawned on me.  Is Sherlock actually finding it difficult to comprehend that best friends(Henry's Dad and Frankland) could never talk about work?

October 25, 2012 7:53 pm  #32

Yes, he is probably wondering what else they could possibly talk about.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 26, 2012 6:29 pm  #33

Good point.

November 12, 2012 9:18 pm  #34

I'm watching it again...something else just dawned on me!(Heck, quite how dim am I?)
I always assumed(I don't know why!)that Frankland just turned up at the Hollow...
I've only just realised that Sherlock did actually phone and ask him to meet them there.
I mean I know Sherlock had his phone out and said he was going to phone, in the lab, when the therapist phones John and then Sherlock phones Lestrade. But I've only just worked out that he obviously phoned Frankland too.

November 14, 2012 8:53 am  #35

Hi all
Another question about this episode.. I am not sure if it has been answered before though.. If it is let me know the thread plz
My question is how did you guys deduce that the two restaurant guys were a gay couple?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

November 14, 2012 9:47 am  #36

For me, mostly by the word "yours" which implies here a "mine".
Then we have indicators for a couple: The use of the word "we" and that Billy says they sleep together,
and then their intimate sweet little quarrel - like a cliche of a long married couple.
Just indicators, as they don't say it explicitly.

BILLY: What with the monster and that ruddy prison, I don’t know how we sleep nights. Do you, Gary?
(Gary stops and puts a hand on his shoulder and looks at him affectionately.)
GARY: Like a baby.
BILLY: That’s not true. (He looks at John.) He’s a snorer.
GARY (embarrassed, trying to shut him up): Hey, wheesht!
BILLY (to John): Is yours a snorer?
JOHN: ... Got any crisps?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 14, 2012 10:36 am  #37

Exactly, Harriet. All this and the fact that Billy mentions such an intimate detail at all. I suppose a heterosexual man wouldn't ask this question in the first place.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 14, 2012 10:44 am  #38

Thanks Harriet
I think i watched this scene without paying much attention to the subtitles... ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

November 14, 2012 2:27 pm  #39

That's alright, you will not believe all the stuff I do miss when I watch the films and maybe notice after the 5th or 6th time and then forget again 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 20, 2012 11:16 pm  #40

Ha. I love that little interchange, and John's "got any crisps?" He doesn't even bother with the whole "we're not a couple" speech anymore. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera