BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2012 6:27 pm  #21

Re: Red Dwarf X

Just watched the next episode of Red Dwarf X...Lemons!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 22, 2012 6:37 pm  #22

hypergreenfrog wrote:

veecee wrote:

I just googled it, and it looks like you can download them on iTunes?  But I want to sit on my couch and see it on the TV.

In this case, I don't think you have many options, other than getting a TV that can play digital files from your computer. 

There is some way. I just need someone to tell me how. And how not to have to wait for Sherlock 3.

October 22, 2012 7:29 pm  #23

That we cannot help with!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 23, 2012 2:18 am  #24

Somebody can. Help!

October 23, 2012 6:03 am  #25

Well within a year, hopefully!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 23, 2012 2:37 pm  #26

veecee wrote:

Somebody can. Help!

Sorry, what is it exactly that you need to know? You can download the episodes in various places (some more legal than others, obviously), but as I understand that is not what you want.

How can anyone help you then?

In other matters, I thought "Lemons" was quite good last week, the twist was extremely predictable, but it was fun nonetheless 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

October 23, 2012 2:51 pm  #27

I think there is a cable you can get that can connect your laptop/computer directly to your TV screen which would probably then allow you to play the episodes on screen. Maybe ask at a computer store.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 23, 2012 6:32 pm  #28

Yes, I believe we have a laptop with the right connections. Where would I find the episodes online before they're here (US) on TV? Do they go up right away?

Thank you all. I know you understand my anxiety.

October 23, 2012 7:31 pm  #29

I noticed RED DWARF is on finnish Netflix. I'm in the middle of 20+ shows at the moment so before I start investing my precious time on new shows, I want to get information if the show is good or not. So here's an opportunity for you guys to describe and convince me of the show in one post. Is it similar to some other show that might help me knowing what the tone of it is?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 23, 2012 7:43 pm  #30

Did you ever watch the old Red Dwarf series oh precious time one?

October 23, 2012 11:18 pm  #31

If you listen to Cabin Pressure, imagine Martin C. stranded on a spaceship with one of the guys from Men Behaving Badly
Oh, yeah, and an uptight robot and a human cat.
And they're all helped by a benevolent Hal (from 2001 A Space Odyssey)..

October 24, 2012 6:06 am  #32

...who is a bit OCD with cleaning. His name is Kryton.

A good summary. The human cat is pretty cool; his name was originally Frankenstein. Rimmer is a hologram meant to keep Lister (the only human on board) sane. Lister has an outfit with only two curry stains and dreadlocks and mistakenly thinks he is a fantastic guitarist.

And they all live on the spaceship Red Dwarf.

Last edited by Davina (October 24, 2012 6:07 am)

October 25, 2012 1:27 am  #33

Hmm, does sound a bit insane when we describe it, doesn't it?

October 25, 2012 5:53 am  #34

It's mad but good.

October 25, 2012 11:26 am  #35

It's not actually as crazy as it sounds. The fact that it is set in space and Lister is the last human and Cat is, well, a cat, really is only the back drop for a hilarious comedy show. It's really about how the main characters interact, and their quirky personalities. The acting is extremely good as well, so no matter how weird the characters are, they are always believable and completely unique.

However, I tried to introduce my boyfriend to it a while ago (the original series), and he didn't like it, so it's obviously not for everyone.
If you have never watched it, please be aware of the following:
- The set and production are cheap by today's standards, remember that the early series are from the 80s. It's really just a room with two bunk beds and a table, a few pieces of corridor and some random bits of engine and storage rooms.
- The humor is not exactly subtle. If you are put off by jokes about curries, beer and disgusting socks, it's probably not for you.
- There are lots of running rags that get repeated ad nauseam. I personally am the type of person who can laugh at every one of Rimmers misquoted space corps directives, but you might get bored.
- Continuity is not a word to be used in the same context as Red Dwarf. Some changes are deliberate, but mainly it's just the writers changing things to suit their new ideas.

In short, if you are looking for a good old fashioned laugh, it is the perfect show. But don't put to much thought into it. It is not Sherlock.

And finally, my favorite ever bit from RD:

Rimmer's good-bye speech before joining the crew of the holoship:
"And I know that, given the choice, I probably wouldn't have chosen you as friends.
But, I just want to say... that over the years I have come to regard you as... people... I met."

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

Board footera