BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 18, 2012 8:03 pm  #21

Re: Kitty Riley

Interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2012 10:14 pm  #22

aWorldlyPhilosopher wrote:

kazza474 wrote:

Kitty was shown to be one eyed by one very simple fact that she overlooked.

While this might be a plot hole, there is a curious possible explanation: SH didn't get JM to play a role....JM got Kitty to do so.

Look at the courtroom scene at ~19:00 when we learn that JM will not offer any evidence. He turns and looks up into the pews at an in-focus JW, but Kitty is sitting right in front of him. Could that glance have been directed at her?

Sherlock described Kitty as hungry and desperate...just the traits of a reporter who would consider contacting a consulting criminal for a story?

Now do you mean Moriarty hired Kitty for his scheme or Kitty hired Moriarty to get a good story?

October 19, 2012 2:23 am  #23

kazza474 wrote:

Kitty was shown to be one eyed by one very simple fact that she overlooked.

Moriarty had just been on trial in a widely publicised court case.
If he had in fact been an actor, Rich Brook in a popular medical soapie or as a children's show host, wouldn't there have been someone who recognised that fact?
Wouldn't there have been a "I Believe in Rich Brook" movement going on?
Wouldn't his employers at least have come forward?
With only printed matter and a website that anyone could make, she apparently believed his whole story?

OR (and I believe this to be the actual importance of her character)

More to the point, was she representative of Moftiss's feelings for the British Press in general?
"Be damned with researching anything that may de-sensationalise the story we've whipped up here and just add layers and layers of nonsense so that these layers can be rehashed time and time again to save us from doing any REAL journalism."

I think Moftiss did a brilliant job at slapping the media right across the face with this one.
You will never see the above paragraph in any review in any British media, the truth hurts too much.

Oh, you're great! *applause* It had never occurred to me that there was no recognition of Moriarty as Rich Brook.
And I like this supposition regarding Moftiss's allusion to the British press !   

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

October 19, 2012 6:27 am  #24

I like much of what you say.
But can we please give Stephen Thompson his deserved credit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 24, 2012 4:25 pm  #25

I was wondering what all 'true' details about Sherlock's life had Kitty mentioned in that article that John was talking about when he said.. that these are the details that only someone very close to Sherlock can know... 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 24, 2012 4:27 pm  #26

Well most personal details about anybody, I'm guessing.

Last edited by besleybean (October 24, 2012 4:27 pm)

October 24, 2012 4:28 pm  #27

monitaa wrote:

I was wondering what all 'true' details about Sherlock's life had Kitty mentioned in that article that John was talking about when he said.. that these are the details that only someone very close to Sherlock can know... 

My thoughts exactly. I'd been wondering about this for quite a while.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 24, 2012 4:29 pm  #28

@beasley..yes..but it would've been really nice if they had revealed them to the viewers as well ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 25, 2012 1:22 am  #29

I just about stretched my eyeballs out of my head trying to pick something up from the articles, but you know, the Sherlock crew are too clever to let us see anything. All we know is that he was at "uni" and at one time he wanted to be a pirate. Don't know if that's in the articles.

October 25, 2012 8:19 am  #30

veecee wrote:

All we know is that he was at "uni" and at one time he wanted to be a pirate. Don't know if that's in the articles.

hehe...I didnt even know this.. Thanks for posting

October 25, 2012 8:22 am  #31

veecee wrote:

I just about stretched my eyeballs out of my head trying to pick something up from the articles, but you know, the Sherlock crew are too clever to let us see anything. All we know is that he was at "uni" and at one time he wanted to be a pirate. Don't know if that's in the articles.

But this wouldn't be something JM could use. There must be other things - which we don't get to see and can only speculate about. As always. So we don't get bored during the hiatus. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 25, 2012 10:06 am  #32

SusiGo wrote:

But this wouldn't be something JM could use. There must be other things - which we don't get to see and can only speculate about. As always. So we don't get bored during the hiatus. 

yeah..like, whether Sherlock ever had a gf or not

October 26, 2012 6:16 pm  #33

SusiGo wrote:

veecee wrote:

But what might he have gotten up to at uni besides annoying the other students? 

October 26, 2012 10:27 pm  #34

Studying?

October 27, 2012 7:02 am  #35

Well, it doesn't have to be just his doings at "uni". If we assume that Kitty got her information from Jim who got it from Mycroft it could be everything: about his childhood and youth, years at school, family situation, possible use of drugs, whatever. I don't know if we well ever find out but to me John's reaction proves that the information must have been in some way harmful to Sherlock. After all she uses it to destroy his reputation.

October 27, 2012 7:33 am  #36

I didn't actually take it that way.
I thought this was just general biography stuff.  It was The Truth part, which lulls the Public in to a false sense of security, before they are hit with the big (Lie)story of Sherlock being a Fake.

October 27, 2012 2:32 pm  #37

That's what I thought, too.

January 23, 2013 12:47 am  #38

KeepersPrice wrote:

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but I caught a 'Doc Martin' episode last night and there was 'Kitty' as his secretary. I haven't watched the show enough to realize she was in it. It was kind of like seeing an old friend - even though I hate her . I'll take anything Sherlock related is good during the hiatus.

Yeah, I was watching Doc Martin and I'm like, 'hey, that looks like Kitty!', and then I did some research (looked her up on wikipedia) and of course it was Kitty. Anyway, come to think of it, my reaction to seeing Kitty in Doc Martic would've, or should've been more or less, the same reaction to seeing 'Rich Brook' on trial, people should've recognised him from the TV show that he was in. It seems like no-one knows anything about Moriaty, yet we know tons of things about Rich Brook, it's weird. And I just would like to point out that even if Rich Brook was an actor that Sherlock hired, he would still go to jail, he let innocent people die(the old lady and the people in the flats in the area, the people the cab driver killed, etc, also Carl Powers), just so he could get some money. Why would Rich Brook put a fake TV show role thing on his CV, wouldn't he have realised how easy it is to check up on these things? why wouldn't he just say that he was in a few plays or something?

I've been wondering if we got it the wrong way around...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

January 23, 2013 12:51 am  #39

And I'm a bit confused about this Mycroft blabbing Sherlock's life sotry business. There was no proof that such a code even existed, and even if there was, why wouldn't he just lie? make it up

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

January 23, 2013 7:03 am  #40

Maybe I'm missing soemthing here!
We don't know if Mycroft knows the keycode thing was fake.
He's just trying to carch Moriarty and Sherlock is bait...willingly or not!

Board footera