BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 19, 2012 8:50 pm  #1

Book Club 19th Sept (REDH)

This time we'll be discussing the Red Headed League...the next story chronologically in the canon. I'll give people a while to read it before posting my thoughts, but it's definitely one of my favourites actually!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 19, 2012 8:56 pm  #2

Re: Book Club 19th Sept (REDH)

Mine too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 20, 2012 4:53 am  #3

I have reread it just recently! What a luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

September 20, 2012 11:19 am  #4

That's a great story, definitely looking forward to your thoughts 
If I find the time, I will go over it again on the weekend, before posting here.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

October 9, 2012 10:56 am  #5

Since nobody has attempted a review, I'll just start with my own opinion on the story...
As you know by now, I am not good at reviews, so I'll just write what I noticed, what I liked and disliked, and maybe we can start a small discussion.

First of all, I must say it is one of the most entertaining Sherlock Holmes stories I have read to date. The idea is just so original, and the solution so clear and "obvious" in hindsight. Brilliant writing!

I also like how it gives us as 21st Century readers an insight into working life at the time. The fake job offered by the League is to spend 6 days a week from 10-2 sitting in a room copying a book with your own stationary for 4 pounds a week. Although the main character is a pawn shop owner who employs two assistants, he considers this to be a good offer and is thrilled when he gets chosen for the job. I have always been amazed at how different society was structured back then (the whole servant culture, what people considered appropriate work etc.), so I thought this description was very interesting.

The photographic lab as a cover-up for criminal affairs is of course an absolute classic, and may even be a bit of a cliche today, but I presume it was still a very new and original concept back in ACD's time.

There really is only one small issue for me, and that is that if it had been me, I would have been more suspicious or at least curious. I am not suggesting he should have known what the League was planning, that was almost impossible. But if you compare his reaction to that of the girl in the Copper Beeches, it seems a little strange that he didn't try to find out anything about the League while he was there, but simply went about his work.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

October 9, 2012 11:28 am  #6

I agree with your review, particularly the last part. You know what they say: if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 15, 2012 1:31 am  #7

This story is one of the calmest stories of ACD about Sherlock adventures for me. I mean that the narration is slow and calm without any suspense or unexpected turns of the plot. While reading I was intrigued surely, but it wasn't that burning desire to read more and more till I get to know the outcome. So, it is quite relaxing reading before going to bed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

October 16, 2012 2:51 pm  #8

I love the part where they wait in the bank for the robbery to take place, because Holmes has already predicted they'll be there.

I was wondering though...if you were going to do something like that in a modern day version...wouldn't it be nearly impossible to dig up from underground into a bank? I presume there would be a lot more security against that kind of stuff these days...I mean...the floor would be completely solid surely...

There are a few cases of it happening in real life though:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2011/0104/Argentina-bank-heist-echoes-Woody-Allen-films-and-Sherlock-Holmes-tales

October 17, 2012 7:55 pm  #9

Paris in 2010, Argentina 2011, Baker Street London 1971, Los Angeles 1980s.

Apparently not!

October 18, 2012 9:45 pm  #10

It actually reminds me quite a bit of The Three Garridebs - the way the bad guy tries get another guy who is oblivious of all this out of his home/shop because it is important for his scheme.

The scene where Watson and Holmes go to the concert is great, I love how Watson describes Holmes' behaviour there!

October 19, 2012 10:09 am  #11

Sammy wrote:

It actually reminds me quite a bit of The Three Garridebs - the way the bad guy tries get another guy who is oblivious of all this out of his home/shop because it is important for his scheme.

The scene where Watson and Holmes go to the concert is great, I love how Watson describes Holmes' behaviour there!

I would love them to go to a concert in BBC Sherlock. Maybe to investigate a murder but it involves watching some of the show because the murderer is in the audience or a member of the orchestra.

October 23, 2012 2:40 pm  #12

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I would love them to go to a concert in BBC Sherlock. Maybe to investigate a murder but it involves watching some of the show because the murderer is in the audience or a member of the orchestra.

That would be so much fun to watch! Not the most original setting for a crime, mind you, but still fun to watch.
Although, to keep with the theme of the show, they should probably attend a modern concert... can you imagine Sherlock all out of his comfort zone, surrounded by screaming teenagers?

October 23, 2012 2:49 pm  #13

I was thinking just the same thing. I can just imagine him in a mosh pit.

October 30, 2012 7:25 pm  #14

Davina wrote:

I was thinking just the same thing. I can just imagine him in a mosh pit.

Oh my god :'D

October 30, 2012 7:36 pm  #15

The thought of it actually makes my toes curl! 

November 5, 2012 8:20 pm  #16

OMG that HAS to happen. That would be so amazing. Sherlock at a rock concert with a mosh pit. I can just imagine the disgusted look on his face, and John tapping his foot unable to stop himself getting a little bit into it, only to get a filthy look from Sherlock. 

Board footera