BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2012 9:15 am  #1

English use of 'ie' .

This came up in another thread but I thought I would post about it here too.

It has been noted that the British have a tendency to add 'ie'  at the end of words, sometimes shortening the words in the process.

Examples are:

Biccies- instead of biscuits
Brekkie- instead of breakfast
Wellies- instead of Wellington boots
Walkies- instead of walk, especially when talking to dogs.

To which I will add another:
Doggie- instead of dog, especially when talking to children or doggies, funnily enough.

Can any other Brits out there come up with any more?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 16, 2012 9:58 am  #2

Re: English use of 'ie' .

I'm no Brit, but would "hankies" count among them?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 16, 2012 5:01 pm  #3

Indeed it would instead of handkerchief.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 16, 2012 10:15 pm  #4

We add an 'o'

Ambulance crew - ambo/ambos
Garbage truck driver - garbo

etc

August 17, 2012 2:26 am  #5

I don't know if it's "ie" or "y," but "telly" for television.

And "wellies" for wellingtons (rain boots)?

In that other thread, I was saying that my husband and I started making up British diminutives for things, and now we can't remember which ones are real and which ones we invented. Anyone want to invent some for Sherlock?

August 17, 2012 8:56 am  #6

Some more Aussie ones -
arvo - afternoon
avo - avocado
doco - documentary
journo - journalist
Salvos - Salvation Army
servo - service or petrol station
aggro - aggravation, aggression

Men's names -
Davo - David
Stevo - Stephen
Johnno - John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 17, 2012 11:24 am  #7

Skitty used one in another thread:
Dearie instead of dear.
We also use sweetie instead of sweet both for the things you can eat and for someone who is sweet.

August 18, 2012 5:25 am  #8

Hello, sweetie!!   I  love that phrase.  dearie is my  term of endearment.  what about bobbies,  for police?  duckie? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

August 18, 2012 10:47 am  #9

Ugh.
If I call you "Dearie " or "Sweetie" don't ever think I am smiling when I say it. Those words are laced with sarcasm from me.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

August 18, 2012 11:36 am  #10

Depends.....
When I call my tomcat sweetie, it's honest.
When I call my trainee sweetie while telling him he made the same mistake again, it's sarcasm. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 19, 2012 1:47 pm  #11

Thought of some more and am puzzled as to why sometimes 'ie' is used and sometimes 'y', doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

Sarnie- sandwich
Butty e.g. A bacon butty or chip butty, a sandwich with butter spread and bacon or chips (fries).
Cheesie- such as in cheesie-chips ( chips with grated cheese on them).
Bevvie-for a drink (beverage) but usually meaning beer.

Like the Aussies we also add O to the end of some names e.g. Robbo, Thommo this seems to usually be men's surnames.

We also add 'ie' or 'y' to some first names, again usually men's sometimes altering a lot of the original letters e.g.
Andy-Andrew
Bobby or Bobbie- Robert
Billy- William
Teddy- Edward
Sammy- Samuel
Charlie-Charles
Davy or Davie- David
Bertie- Albert
Freddie-Fred or Frederick
Georgie-George
Harry- Harold
Gerry- Gerald
Jimmy-James
Kenny-Kenneth
Larry- Laurence/ Lawrence
Micky or Mikey- Michael
Nicky- Nicholas
Ollie-Oliver
Paulie-Paul
Ronnie-Ronald
Stevie-Steven/Stephen
Timmy-Timothy
Tommy-Thomas
Vinnie-Vincent

Nowadays the shortened form will be used as the given name straight off. There's loads more. Also Y gets added to some surnames too e.g. Baynsey, Shorty, Cobby.

September 9, 2012 4:51 pm  #12

We do the same thing with names. Also, I've heard the word "bevvie" used among my age group a lot lately.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 9, 2012 5:27 pm  #13

Well, now my husband and I have gone overboard, making "British" diminutives of everything. We say we're going "walkies'" but decided that saying "runnies" didn't work, for what I think are obvious reasons.

Anyway, I haven't heard "bevvies" in this part of Michigan, but certainly the whole country has been using "veggies" for a long time.

Regarding names, I wonder where some of the nicknames came from: Chuck for Charles, Peggy for Margaret,... I should probably just google it.

October 22, 2012 12:32 pm  #14

Davina wrote:

Cheesie- such as in cheesie-chips ( chips with grated cheese on them).

I normally spell that with a 'y' - cheesy chips.

Anyway, I thought of a Sherlock related one - "cabbie"

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 23, 2012 3:14 am  #15

Do you say "ciggie"? It seems I've seen that somewhere.
We say cabbie, too, I think.

October 23, 2012 4:16 am  #16

I met a British woman once, and she was talking about wellies and I was thinking "What on earth are wellies?" Anyway, I figured it out eventually and I was able to use the word the other day when talking about an awesome pair of wellies that I saw with the British flag pattern on it...what an appropriate word.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 23, 2012 7:27 am  #17

British flag pattern would most usually be called 'The Union Jack'.

Board footera