BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2012 7:01 am  #1

Continuity Errors/Slip Ups/Technical Mistakes

I just posted in another thread about how impressed I was with all of Sherlock. The script writing, the performances, cinematography, direction etc etc etc. All of is it just absolutely flawless.

Usually, shows and films have some glaring continuity errors in them though and I have to say, in all six episodes, I've only ever noticed one (and believe me, I notice). So I thought I'd start a thread and see if any of you have noticed any others.

And for the time being let's stick to things which are unequivocably continuity errors, not "maybe it's a TRF clue or maybe it's a production error" stuff.

The one I noticed is in Scandal, at the end when Sherlock works out the phone code. He's walking towards the door and Irene says "Do you want me to beg?" or similar. He says "Yes" and his right hand is in his right pocket. We then cut to Irene, who says her lines, and when we cut back to Benedict, his left hand is now in his left pocket.

EDIT: As of 31/01/12 this topic has been merged with a similar topic on technical errors. Thanks -SH

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (January 31, 2013 8:52 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 21, 2012 7:11 am  #2

Re: Continuity Errors/Slip Ups/Technical Mistakes

There's a thread somewhere else with possible errors, not sure where now, lol.

But with the hands in the pockets thing, it was mentioned on the commentary:

Steven: “Every time we cut back to Irene, Sherlock swaps what hand’s in what pocket.
Benedict: “Actually, not at all. My left hand’s out of the pocket; the right hand goes in the pocket, I think you’ll find.

So it wasn't a continuity error, Ben did it deliberately it seems.

Also listening to the commentary there are others, can't recall them now.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 21, 2012 7:14 am  #3

Hahaha that sounds like him covering his ass there ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 21, 2012 9:52 am  #4

One other error is in the swimming pool scene where the gun Benedict is holding swaps from one hand to the other.
Another has been flagged up in The Blind Banker where the cloth round Benedict's neck disappears and then reappears.

Any others?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 21, 2012 2:02 pm  #5

I'm pretty sure the first time I watched 'The Great Game' the bomb-vest which was thrown to the end of the pool moved between shots. I watched it again last night (Andrew Scott knew what he was doing!) and it apparently doesn't.

Perhaps I'm misremembering or they've cleaned it up since.

The end of 'The Reichenbach Fall' has something similar with the caged van and John being hit by the cyclist.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 21, 2012 3:42 pm  #6

Oh, there are a lot of continuity errors, for example the puddle of blood the cabbie lies in (it disappears when Sherlock shouts: "The name - NOW...!"),the guy in the yellow t-shirt who passes the taxi John gets out when he finds the letter with the breadcrumbs in front of 221b (the guy's vanished in an instant  as well as the two passers-by when John meets Irene's PA in front of Speedy's), the red cushion between Sherlock and John on the couch in Buck Palace - it's moving magically, the (already mentioned by me) wet footsteps on the tiles at the pool (they are appearing and re-appearing).
There are more, of course. I have to think...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 21, 2012 3:45 pm  #7

Wow, how many times have you watched each episode?!
I can't think of any! 

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 21, 2012 4:08 pm  #8

Molly Hooper wrote:

Wow, how many times have you watched each episode?!
I can't think of any! 

Well, Miss Hooper, it's a bit of a blur - I lost count!

I mentioned it already in some other thread here: Mrs Hudson's dress is referred to as "new" by Sherlock in HOUNDS, but she actually wore it before in Scandal. (Maybe it's because episode1 was shot after episode 2?)
We discussed it before, but I'm still confused about the fact that Sherlock and John entered the cab in Bakerstreet at day light (maybe kind of dusk) heading for Brixton in PINK, and after a 6-miles-taxi ride were arriving in complete darkness.

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

May 21, 2012 4:12 pm  #9

Now THAT's just showing off!

I'll have to watch all the episodes again now and look extra hard at everything (What a terrible ordeal!)

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 21, 2012 4:35 pm  #10

The clocks on the wall during the trial in TRF?    maybe I'm just missing the timing of the edits,  but it appears at
first to be about 11:20 (with Moriarty in front of shot) ,  then later waiting for jury to reach verdict,  it's more like 10:45  and 10:50..

May 21, 2012 4:48 pm  #11

I've just checked this.

"The defence rests" : 11:19
"You must find him guilty!": 11:41
"Coming back!":  11:51     John: "It's...six minutes"

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 20, 2012 4:29 pm  #12

I don't know if this is the right place to post, please feel free to adjust it to the right forum.

I'd like to open a thread on slip-ups as I've seen one in the first episode. I really like searching little mistakes in films and series and it's a good reason to watch Sherlock again and again and again and... (besides all the others )

In the laboratory, where Sherlock and John meet first, Sherlock tells John his name and address before he leaves the room. When Sherlock hastens away, the door is closing and you can see the reflection of the camera for a second in the door's window.

Anything else that caught your eyes?

October 20, 2012 4:47 pm  #13

Lots, but I hadn't caught that one...
I suspect we already have a thread like this, but the super staff will move us, if necessary!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 20, 2012 6:26 pm  #14

I don't think we do...how exciting!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 20, 2012 7:30 pm  #15

There're  two notorious ones in the pool scene. The "travelling coat" and Sherlock's hands holding the gun.

Last edited by tiharoa (October 20, 2012 7:31 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

October 20, 2012 7:33 pm  #16

Plus the boom in PINK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 20, 2012 7:34 pm  #17

...and a third one: The disappearing and re-appearing puddles and wet footsteps on the tiles.

Oh - so many more in the other episodes!

Last edited by tobeornot221b (October 20, 2012 7:34 pm)

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 20, 2012 7:46 pm  #18

Here's my favourite error from PINK:

"I want a name! - "No."

"The NAME! NOW!"

Where's the blood now? Soaked into the cabbie?

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 20, 2012 7:52 pm  #19

Very well observed, Tobe. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 20, 2012 7:52 pm  #20

Thanks, tobe! 
I'd be so grateful if the others could give more details here about the situations you are talking of.
It would it make easier to follow. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera