BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2012 9:18 pm  #1

The name Cumberbatch

Everything you could ever want to know, and more,  about the name Cumberbatch is to be found on the following website. It needs a bit of updating as Benedict is only 30 on it (as it were), but there is an interesting interview with him and loads more information.

www.one-name.org/profiles/Cumberbatch.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 6, 2012 6:36 am  #2

Re: The name Cumberbatch

Well that was fun to read.  Thanks Davina!  nice to hear there are eccentric Cumberbatches out there like "Alice Beatrice Martha Cumberbatch".

During that funny Benedict Cumberbatch interview 1/2011 with French and Saunders (and his mother - "someone and their mum…") - they talk/joke about the origin of the name.     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH5QW_qF76Q

July 6, 2012 8:05 pm  #3

This is a little off topic, but I'll bring it back. I'd like the Brits to weigh in on how they pronounce the surname "Featherstone." I understand that some pronounce it "Fanshaw." Since learning that, my husband and I make up "British" pronunciations for other names. So, what would "Cumberbatch" be? I'm sure we could get some good suggestions from this crew (keep it clean, kids).

July 6, 2012 9:21 pm  #4

If Featherstone is the place where there is a racetrack - some sort of motor racing I think (?) then I have only ever heard it pronounced 'Featherstun' rather than Feather Stone. We had a lot of fun with my daughter who was in total disbelief a few years ago over the pronunciation of place names such as Cholmondely and Belvoir. I'd be interested in your alternative pronunciations of British place names veecee 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 6, 2012 11:24 pm  #5

Oh, they're completely silly. Next time we come up with one, I'll try to remember to share it. How do you all pronounce Worcestershire? I assume it is a place, but here it is the brand name of a steak sauce. I think most Americans just slur over the pronunciation -- something like Woostesher. I think this clip illustrates it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQHhdy_gpcw.

So how do you pronounce those two names you mention?

Now, back to the challenge -- give me some pronunciations for Cumberbatch.

July 7, 2012 11:08 am  #6

Oh funny  . We say Woostersher too unless in a hurry when it just becomes Wuster sauce or simply 'the Lea and Perrins' (other brands are available  ). Worcester (pronounced Wuster) is the (very beautiful) city and Worcestershire (pronounced Wustershir) is the county (Although it is now officially Hereford and Worcester, most Brits still prefer their traditional county names).

There were several place names my daughter pronounced as they were written when she was younger. We can't remember the original one that got the ball rolling, but Belvoir is pronounced Beever (yes she didn't believe it either) and Cholmondeley is actually pronounced Chumley and is in Cheshire, not a million miles away from Comberbatch from which it has been suggested that BC's name is derived.

Love this stuff 

Last edited by JaneCo (July 7, 2012 12:53 pm)

July 7, 2012 6:59 pm  #7

We might have come up with Chumley, but Beever is hilarious. Thank you.

Still waiting for someone to do something with Cumberbatch.

October 7, 2012 4:29 pm  #8

Ahem, my nichkname is Beaver!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 5:45 pm  #9

On, dear! I won't ask why.

October 7, 2012 5:50 pm  #10

Ha!
Don't worry, it's all very innocent.
It was only really used when I was a kid.
It stems from a playground game.
We were a family living in Canada and I played the part of a pet Beaver.
It's only since I told my colleagues the story, that  a few of them occasionally refer to me as:  Beverley Beaver!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 19, 2012 10:51 am  #11

The funny part is that not even his co-star in the Frankenstein play can pronounce his surname properly. They went up to receive an award together & the guy said "Benedict..." looks at Benedict who had to complete his own name. Then awkward silence in the room. Then both exit stage area. lol.

October 19, 2012 4:09 pm  #12

I didn't know about that, how awful!

October 19, 2012 7:18 pm  #13

besleybean wrote:

Ha!
Don't worry, it's all very innocent.
It was only really used when I was a kid.
It stems from a playground game.
We were a family living in Canada and I played the part of a pet Beaver.
It's only since I told my colleagues the story, that  a few of them occasionally refer to me as:  Beverley Beaver!

Do you know about the old, old American sitcom called "Leave It to Beaver?"

October 19, 2012 7:21 pm  #14

saturnR wrote:

The funny part is that not even his co-star in the Frankenstein play can pronounce his surname properly. They went up to receive an award together & the guy said "Benedict..." looks at Benedict who had to complete his own name. Then awkward silence in the room. Then both exit stage area. lol.

That happened to a friend of mine when she was receiving her high school diploma, poor thing.

Cumberbatch is reall pronounced just how it looks, no? But perhaps the presenter thought "Cumberbatch" had one of those odd British pronunciations like "Fanshaw" for "Featherstone." Maybe "Cunbaw."

October 20, 2012 10:57 am  #15

This might've been mentioned before but I've heard that Cumberbatch himself said that his name sounds like one farting in a bathtub. Too funny.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My blog: 3sidestoeverystory.tumblr.com

October 20, 2012 11:28 am  #16

Dramagod wrote:

This might've been mentioned before but I've heard that Cumberbatch himself said that his name sounds like one farting in a bathtub. Too funny.

Yes he did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3twjoxiwikw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

Board footera