BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2012 4:57 pm  #41

Re: The first scene with Sherlock craving for a smoke/a case.

I have to repeat myself: I still don't think this reaction is OTT. Because it's not only for a smoke but also for a case because he is terribly bored. And this IS Sherlock. Being bored is the worst thing which can happen to him.
B.O.R.E.D.     
But I didn't notice the begging twice thing so far.  Liar! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 6, 2012 6:17 pm  #42

It is hyperactive Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 6, 2012 7:23 pm  #43

Mattlocked wrote:

I have to repeat myself: I still don't think this reaction is OTT. Because it's not only for a smoke but also for a case because he is terribly bored. And this IS Sherlock. Being bored is the worst thing which can happen to him.
B.O.R.E.D.     
But I didn't notice the begging twice thing so far.  Liar! 

It really is there, kazza quotes it at the beginning of this thread. He says 'please' twice in an agonized-addict sort of voice, the one I'd use if someone hid my ciggies. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

September 27, 2012 8:23 pm  #44

Interesting how other people perceived this.
When I watched that scene for the first time, my funny little brain immediately made up a huge backstory. In my opinion, when Sherlock said, "I need some! Get me some!" he was referring to drugs. I assumed he must have had a relapse into his drug problem sometime between SiB and Hounds and John helped him out of it. That must also be the reason why he takes stupid cases like the one with the pig harpooning, because boredom would surely make the problem much worse.
As drugs are not available, he starts to look for his secret supply of cigarettes so at least he can smoke to relieve his withdrawal symptoms. He doesn't find them and that is when he gets really nervous. But of course his work is still most important and when Henry finally appears with his "hound", Sherlock is happy and proves to John that he doesn't even need cigarettes anymore, indicating that the "hound"  must be a very interesting case.
That was my interpretation. It's probably wrong, but that way all the fidgeting and twitching makes more sense.

Last edited by QuiteExtraordinary (September 27, 2012 8:25 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 4, 2012 9:47 pm  #45

I believe we were supposed to think it was drugs (other than nicotine) at first, given the common knowledge that in the canon Holmes has an addiction. It's the same clever and funny little thing as they did with the patches in Pink. (I love the scene where we see Sherlock on the couch with his arm bent up.)

Of course, from the raid scene in Pink and the "sock index" scene in Scandal, we know -- or at least suspect -- that there is some other addiction problem lurking somewhere.

October 6, 2012 7:23 pm  #46

Yum.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2012 7:24 pm  #47

Davina wrote:

It is hyperactive Sherlock.

I agree with this, and also that he is jonesing for both a smoke and a case.

I think it is Ben purposely overacting because Sherlock does often act like a brat. It's his version of a tantrum. As for the begging, he wasn't actually begging. He was just trying to manipulate John. "It was worth a try," just as he says about the offer of the winning lottery number.

October 18, 2012 7:39 pm  #48

Tho I think they're  sharing a little joke, in the case of the lottery numbers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2012 7:41 pm  #49

besleybean wrote:

Tho I think they're  sharing a little joke, in the case of the lottery numbers!

Yes, I''m sure I've done something similar with my siblings.

Last edited by veecee (October 18, 2012 10:12 pm)

October 18, 2012 8:39 pm  #50

That was extremely funny, I think; Sherlock knows a lot others (idiots) don't know so one could fall for the trick for a second..   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

March 1, 2013 4:27 pm  #51

I also think that this scene is a bit over the top, but I love it. There are IOM interersting things we can see about Sherlock and his character and relationship with John:
The obvious: bored, no case and he wants to smoke. Or does he?
I think he is a bit play-acting here to get what he wants: To make John fetch the cigarettes for him. 
He is aware of his approaches (worth a try). Therefore not totally on his knees inspite his begging, twice.
He tries to offer something John has to work hard for: money/lottery. He tries to bribe John into telling him.
Next step: flattering (Sherlock-kind of flattering which is a bit insulting): I envie you so much.
Finally finding John's pressure point: Blackmailing him with the prospect of going to Baskerville on his own. Being alone is something John wants to avoid at all costs.  Which means that Sherlock is quite aware what John has to go through after his "death".
On the one hand Sherlock is a bit playfull with John here, tries to distract himself and lets his guard down with John seeing it. But not totally. He is still manipulative to make the doctor do something he doesn't want to do. 
It reminds me of the roof scene in TRF when Sherlock is play-acting with Moriarty: Begging, playing ordinary Sherlock, offering something that doesn't exist (can't tell the key code; can't tell the lottery numbers)  and finally finding the pressure point eye to eye with Moriarty and make him do something at last.

April 1, 2013 9:08 pm  #52

I like this scene because it harks back to canon, this great detective who actually spends a lot of time faffing around his flat without a case.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sherlock Holmes "The question is, has she been working on something deadlier than a rabbit?"
John Watson : "To be fair, that is quite a wide field"

The Hounds of Baskerville

August 10, 2014 2:00 pm  #53

Be wrote:

Finally finding John's pressure point: Blackmailing him with the prospect of going to Baskerville on his own. Being alone is something John wants to avoid at all costs. 

I am reallly enjoying the deconstruction of this scene. This is one of those scenes that makes Sherlock amazing, asf it shows Ben's comic chops.  And the ideas you all have come up make it even more interesting.

One point, though, quoted above:  I don't think it was the prospect of John being alone that was the point here.  I think it was a Sherlock power play. John knew that if Sherlock were left to his own devices, he would find the stash or buy more cigarettes, so he just says, OK, fine - here they are.

Also, it is a nod to canon. In the original story, Holmes sends Dr. Watson on this case without him, and shows up himself much later in the story.  So I think this was, in large part, Moftiss easter-egging.

Board footera