BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2012 7:31 am  #1

Reichenbach and M.C.Escher

I've been thinking about this for quite while.
To me, the whole Reichenbach scenery breathes the spirit of Dutch graphic artist M.C. Escher (1898-1972).
You know: Impossible realities, perspective-related impossibilities, optical illusions.

Years ago, I was absolutely fascinated by Escher's work (alongside with René Magritte's) and I've so often I tried to figure out (without a satisfactory result!) how on earth he created this very real impression simultaneously with real life's impossibilities.
A trick – just a magic trick?

Nearly the same thoughts I still have about Sherlock's fake death.

With reference to one of Escher's famous graphics (where birds morph into fish):
If I knew how to do it I'd create a picture where blue rubber balls (or laundry trucks ) morph into a shoal of red herrings…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 16, 2012 11:26 am  #2

Re: Reichenbach and M.C.Escher

...and hang up posters of it all over town, captioned 'I Believe in Sherlock'. 
Seriously though, I see your point. We have been treated to an optical illusion, a trick of perspective, that is in the spirit of Escher. I wonder what Moftiss would make of the comparison (I think they'd be flattered).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do 'real' people have, then, in their 'real' lives?

So we go round the sun; if we went round the moon, or round and round the garden like a teddy bear, it wouldn't make any difference.

The consolation of imaginary things is not imaginary consolation. -- Roger Scruton

October 16, 2012 6:36 pm  #3

I like Escher, too. The one with the people on the stairs. You follow them with your eyes and see it doesn't work but you don't know how he managed to draw such impossible realities.   

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 16, 2012 6:41 pm  #4

Clever art!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 16, 2012 6:47 pm  #5

Here! Another Escher fan!
The cascade where the water seems to flow upwards. No... it  actually flows upwards, which is not possible ?
However - we can discuss Escher in two weeks. 

Hmm... maybe Sherlock seemed to fall down but actually flew up?   

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 16, 2012 6:51 pm  #6

Mattlocked wrote:

Here! Another Escher fan!
The cascade where the water seems to flow upwards. No... it  actually flows upwards, which is not possible ?
However - we can discuss Escher in two weeks. 

Hmm... maybe Sherlock seemed to fall down but actually flew up?   

I can bring my Escher book. And Magritte. And Otto Dix which is totally different but has proved very inspiring to me. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 16, 2012 6:58 pm  #7

We should check which books we have, so we won't bring the same. 

October 16, 2012 7:03 pm  #8

Remind me to have a look when I'm at home.

October 16, 2012 7:06 pm  #9

I can contribute one of each.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 16, 2012 7:22 pm  #10

Die Magie des M.C. Escher is not really the perfect size/weight to take it on a train ride....
But the Year Planner 1996 would do. 

October 16, 2012 7:49 pm  #11

I think I've got Escher and Magritte from Taschen Verlag. Just tell me what else you want me to bring as I come by car.

October 16, 2012 7:56 pm  #12

Oh, can I place an order? Hm... let me think.... 

October 16, 2012 8:16 pm  #13

I can offer a nice DVD collection. 

October 17, 2012 2:09 pm  #14

Flipping through my Escher book, I might have discovered the rooftop scene.
We will have to discuss this, girls!

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 17, 2012 9:22 pm  #15

Looking forward to it! 

Board footera