BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2012 12:59 am  #1

St. Barts Hospital

Whilst researching for the archived cases I did stumble across a fact about St. Barts Hospital that I was unaware of and have not seen mentioned or posted anywhere else. This hospital does NOT have an Accident and Emergency Department. It does have a minor injuries unit, which is for precisely that and people bring themselves in for treatment rather than arriving by emergency ambulance. The series is very, very specific about it being St. Barts and not just any old hospital.

If it has no A&E department then there would not be ANY paramedics on standby for serious events like Sherlock plummeting from the roof.

Could this be important? I know this is not a medical drama, but Moftiss et al are so careful with their details and accuracy I cannot believe that this is just a slip-up on their part.

What do you think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 7, 2012 3:40 am  #2

Re: St. Barts Hospital

There is an Ambulance parking area near where John was standing. The small building in front of him is the Ambulance Garage so even though there may be no A&E, ambulances still go there & are parked there. And with ambulances, we get paramedics.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 7, 2012 5:42 am  #3

Here we have non-emergency ambulances at hospitals like these for routine treatment etc. not emergency call out and they aren't manned by paramedics. Paramedics only work emergency ambulances. There would still be ambulance but not for emergency use.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 7, 2012 6:44 am  #4

I'm pretty sure (but could be wrong because BBC-Sherlock and canon-Sherlock are getting mixed up in my head now) that St Barts is referenced in the canon and would therefore be why they use it in the show; regardless of it's A&E status.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 7, 2012 8:45 am  #5

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Barts is canon as where Dr Watson trained, like in BBC, but they've just featured it more in the series because of Molly's role.

It was probably chosen before they'd worked out the finer details, twists and turns of the fall...plus, we all know the "medics" are just Homeless Network anyway right? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 7, 2012 2:42 pm  #6

St. Barts is canon so it would be used, if at all possible, in the series. Just thought the lack of A&E and therefore paramedics was interesting.

January 24, 2013 5:23 am  #7

I'm pretty sure those medics were not real medics, which only makes sense if Sherlock had some kind of device to break his fall. They did things that real medics would never do

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

February 19, 2013 7:47 pm  #8

'What do you think?'

Artistic licence?

Last edited by RedJohnsButler (February 20, 2013 5:59 pm)

Board footera