BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 10, 2012 12:10 pm  #1

Hi, and apologies for being a bit late with that!

I´m a member of this wonderful forum for quite a while, but only now did I find enough time for a proper introduction, thanks to the autumn holidays. And I´m pretty bad at creatively introducing myself, that´s probably the real reason I´ve been putting it off for so long.  But now I´ve decided to forget about "creatively" and just give it a try.

So, these are the facts:
I´m from Germany, living in the countryside, 35 years old (my God, when did that happen?), married without children, teacher, constantly overworked, trying hard to learn at least some Italian, Sherlock fan for about 5 month now, and a bit on the shy side when new somewhere. I prefer TV shows to movies, HBO to most other networks, and Sherlock is actually one of the very few pieces of European entertainment I like.

My husband likes watching Sherlock, too, which is nice. I started to fall for the show when we accidentally switched into Scandal. Before that, the whole "Sherlock Holmes"-thing never really attracted me. Being an English teacher, I guess I´ve read too many lousy adaptions of "The Hounds of Baskerville" in several English school books. 
But watching Scandal made me buying Season 1 and 2 the next day, downloading the entire ACD collection to my Kindle (I´m into re-reading certain stories already), starting to join my husband when he watches the Jeremy Bratt-version (which I completely refused to before). My biggest contribution to the fandom so far was showing Sherlock to my 8th graders after telling them only intelligent pupils would love it. Three of them bought the DVDs afterwards. Good teanagers!

I´m not sure how much I will contribute to the forum, but I love reading your posts, and I´m still very glad I stumbled into this fandom!

Yours,
Schmiezi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 10, 2012 12:13 pm  #2

Re: Hi, and apologies for being a bit late with that!

I should introduce you to my son!
He is a German speaker, going out with a  girl from Sud Tyrol...so he is also trying to learn Italian!
He was an assistant in a Dresden school, for a year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 10, 2012 12:36 pm  #3

Willkommen! Sounds like you have all the credentials for treading these boards. I'm trying to learn Italian too so am watching Inspector (Commissario) Montalbano, although I think I shall be speaking with a Sicillian lilt if I'm not careful and giving surnames before first names! Anyhow...once again welcome and don't let the schoolwork grind you down.

(I love the Sud Tyrol by the way).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 10, 2012 12:52 pm  #4

Nice to have you here, Schmiezi. It's great that you introduced your pupils to Sherlock, go on with your campaign. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 10, 2012 1:31 pm  #5

Hello Schmiezi, welcome to the forum!
Not everybody has to be terribly creative, you're introduction was very interesting 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

October 10, 2012 2:04 pm  #6

Hallöchen fellow German 

Schmiezi wrote:

....My husband likes watching Sherlock, too, which is nice. I started to fall for the show when we accidentally switched into Scandal. Before that, the whole "Sherlock Holmes"-thing never really attracted me. Before that, the whole "Sherlock Holmes"-thing never really attracted me.......

I also got hooked up on "Belgravia" when I accidentally switched in . It was the sheet-scene in Buckingham Palace, of course I had to continue watching it. I'm still not a Sherlock Holmes fan per se, I just love that series so much.

Schmiezi wrote:

...My biggest contribution to the fandom so far was showing Sherlock to my 8th graders after telling them only intelligent pupils would love it. Three of them bought the DVDs afterwards. Good teanagers!....

Well done!

By the way, you don't have to be creative to introduce yourself. We don't need a show! 

Last edited by Ivy (October 10, 2012 2:44 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 10, 2012 2:52 pm  #7

Welcome also from me!  Belgravia, yes, that was it 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 10, 2012 5:32 pm  #8

Hallo Schmiezi,
I like your introduction.
You're lucky in having someone at home who you can talk to about Sherlock.
We like you to post more - you needn't be shy. It's just us - your fellow Sherlockians...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 10, 2012 6:15 pm  #9

Welcome.No pressure to be "creative," but your intro was just fine, anyway. You'll find lots of your countrymen/women on this forum.

I'm an English language teacher, too, though not teaching at this time. (It's my native language.)

I'm glad your husband enjoys Sherlock, too. So does mine, but I can't say he's quite as obsessesed as I am.

See, you have lots in common with us.

October 10, 2012 6:19 pm  #10

I can't think of a creative way of saying "welcome", so just: Welcome!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 10, 2012 8:25 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

Willkommen! Sounds like you have all the credentials for treading these boards. I'm trying to learn Italian too so am watching Inspector (Commissario) Montalbano, although I think I shall be speaking with a Sicillian lilt if I'm not careful and giving surnames before first names! Anyhow...once again welcome and don't let the schoolwork grind you down.

(I love the Sud Tyrol by the way).

IMHO you really should avoid " Montalbano sugno" if you're trying to learn Italian. No kidding, I can't think of anything worse, sorry.

Last edited by tiharoa (October 10, 2012 8:26 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valentine:  Do you know the stars, Mr Tietjens?
Christopher:  I despise astronomy.

October 10, 2012 8:30 pm  #12

Thank you for your warm welcome! I´m really glad I´ve finally decided to write something. And I´m looking forward to writing more, I just don´t want to comment on everything, only to get a cool title... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 10, 2012 8:39 pm  #13

Schmiezi wrote:

Thank you for your warm welcome! I´m really glad I´ve finally decided to write something. And I´m looking forward to writing more, I just don´t want to comment on everything, only to get a cool title... 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "wrong"! IMO it's the coolest title here...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 10, 2012 9:08 pm  #14

Ivy wrote:

We don't need a show! 

Oh YES, we DO! 

A warm welcome also from me!
English teacher, hm? So I have to chose my words more carefully now... I mean, we have a kind of "bonus" from the native speakers here, but English teacher from Germany..... Oh oh... 
Now some memories are coming back: Good morning, boys and girls!  Good morning, Mr. Parker!  Sit down, please!

Just joking. Be sure you will have a lot of fun here! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 11, 2012 1:07 am  #15

Welcome Schmiezi! Glad you finally decided to post an intro I haven't popped into the Intro forum for a while so I thought I'd stick my head in and say hello.

We are picking up quite a lot of Germans on this forum! It's really rather nice how internationally Sherlock is renowned

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

October 11, 2012 5:46 am  #16

Hello and welcome, Schmiezi!

I grew up watching Basil Rathbone as Sherlock, but have recently started watching Jeremy Brett and find that I like his version as well.

I've introduced my oldest grandson (age 14) to Sherlock, and now he has added the Sherlock DVDs and the ACD stories to his wish list for Christmas. We have lots of fun discussions about Sherlock! 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

October 21, 2012 2:47 pm  #17

Great to have you on board Schmiezi...wow, I think I'm gonna have a hard time spelling that...might have to Anlgacise it and call you Shmizz. 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera