BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 23, 2012 9:19 pm  #1

John and the therapist

Well I've been thinking (oh no! Not again! I hear you cry). I think it is interesting to look at the way John's relationship with and attitude to his therapist changes. The impression in the first episode is that he is attending these sessions reluctantly and that, as the therapist notes, he has trust issues (referring to herself I assume). Sherlock deduces, quite correctly that, as John has a psychosomatic limp he has been given a therapist to see to tackle the underlying cause.

When we next see John at the therapists it is after Sherlock's 'suicide'. She is trying to help him come to terms with his friend's 'death'. Can we assume from what she she says about 'why now? After 18months?' That it is John himself that has made the appointment to see her. Does this mean that he accepts, this time, that he needs her professional help?

The impression in the first episode in series 1 is that he does not want to be there and probably regards,the whole thing as a waste of his time. Of course he has continued with her suggestion of keeping a blog,which has been a whole lot more exciting than he expected it to be since he met up with Sherlock. Does he now realise that actually she was right and that it has been helpful to him?

He is unable to tell the therapist what he is feeling, even though she tells him that he needs to let it out. Rather, it is at Sherlock's graveside, that he puts into words his feelings. Does the visit to the therapist encourage him to verbalise his thoughts and feelings?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 23, 2012 9:57 pm  #2

Re: John and the therapist

Mycroft had access to the therapists notes - this might have added an additional wedge to his reluctance to attend sessions. Now with Sherlock gone he is a man who was broken, and then repaired and now destroyed. Sherlock's death has given him that extra push into 'nothing to lose' land as oppose to cowardice to achieve.

That's my musings on it anyway

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 23, 2012 9:57 pm  #3

Yeah, I think in the first episode he definitely doesn't want to be there and it's a waste of time. And I'm pretty certain he probably stops attending altogether after Mycroft points about his shaking/not shaking hand.

But after Sherlock's "death" I think he's probably just desperate for someone to talk to, to try and make sense of it in someway, and yes, I think the inference is that it's John who's made the appointment himself. However, he still finds it difficult to open up. I don't think everyone will find it easy to talk to essentially a complete stranger about your innermost feelings. I know that's what you're supposed to do with a therapist but I can understand why someone might find it hard, there's no way I'd be able to do it. Much easier to open up with a close friend, which is why he was able to say what he really felt at Sherlock's graveside.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 24, 2012 3:58 am  #4

John knows that his confidential data is not safe with Ella. I wonder why he chooses to seek her help again and not the help of another therapist.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

April 24, 2012 5:00 am  #5

For someone with PTSD, the further trauma of seeing a suicide would easily push them to breaking point. Yes, he was in denial at first & no doubt HAD to attend the sessions to keep his war pension benefits. However after the suicide he would have been a shattered man & possibly hospitalised; or at least under medical supervision. He has friends around him who would have seen his fragility.
No doubt he was urged to go back to the therapist as part of his treatment. I'm not sure what the Armed Forces are like over there with past members but here, they would continue to monitor their veterans & would have stepped in to recommence treatment.

Remember, with Sherlock he was strong; he replaced John's 'crutch'. I'm surprised actually to not see John back using his cane.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 24, 2012 5:26 am  #6

Yes, I half expected him to be using his cane at the graveside. Maybe the writers thought that would be too corny. He does do that wonderful military about turn after his graveyard speech though. I was also wondering about why he went back to a therapist who he knew Mycroft would be monitoring in some way.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 24, 2012 5:29 am  #7

Mycroft was just finding out WHO this guy was that was living with his brother; I doubt that he continually got information on how the sessions were progressing, it wouldn't be of much interest to him as it would be a classic PTSD case. So in reality, I doubt that it would bother John that much.
Let's face it, Mycroft would find out any info if he needed to regardless of where John went.

And remember, he is NOT the enemy.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 24, 2012 7:05 am  #8

I love how the series 1 opening and the series 2 ending are bookended
nicely with those therapist scenes.   I do agree that John's
initial visits were probably required,  (veteran medical followup)
and then he probably drops off, when he moves in with Sherlock,
annoyed that Mycroft has seen the therapist notes.  But he does
make progress- actually keeps up on his blog.  Has the start of
a social life (though smaller scale than his Sherlock relationship)-
he dates women,  works briefly at the clinic, socializes with
Mike Stamford, actually knows that Lestrade's first name is Greg, etc.

An underlying theme is the humanity that John brings to
Sherlock's character, a big part of Sherlock's evolving "goodness".
Also inspiring and poignant is to watch John's character always forcing
himself to move on- always trying to do right by himself and others.
It makes sense to me that he returns to the therapist at the
end.   He knows he needs to continue to make forward changes-
the graveside speech is just the next step.  He's distraught,
but determined to keep going forward without Sherlock.  I'm sure
we'll see John's character continue to evolve, as Sherlock's will,
in series 3.  Can't wait to see him give Sherlock a piece of his
mind when they meet again.  Can't wait to meet the future Mrs. Watson.

April 24, 2012 8:19 am  #9

You think they'll have John get married like in canon? He can't move out of Baker St though, it just wouldn't work.

Anyway, his military about turn at the graveside makes me smile and cry at the same time! It's like he's honoruing Sherlock as a fallen soldier.

April 24, 2012 10:31 am  #10

You co I'd well be right about the moving out of Baker Street not working. I don't think it works very well in the original stories either.

April 24, 2012 5:29 pm  #11

I think it will happen.  Agreed, I hope it doesn't happen soon,  because their dynamic works too well right now for John to move out.  Maybe in a future series.    But I could see us being introduced to whoever she'll be.   Who knows,  maybe at some point (years from now!)  the writers will have John and the future Mrs. staying in the 221C flat,  while their own place is being renovated.   Ha. 

April 24, 2012 5:48 pm  #12

But 221c is damp that's why Mrs. Hudson can't rent it out. They can't stay there it would be unhealthy! Lol

October 5, 2012 6:31 pm  #13

It'll be interesting to see how broken John is and how much therapy he'll need.
I'm wondering if his therapist will try and get him to accept Sherlock is dead and move on...will John easily be able to do this?
Getting married may cure him...partly!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 5, 2012 8:06 pm  #14

Davina wrote:

But 221c is damp that's why Mrs. Hudson can't rent it out. They can't stay there it would be unhealthy! Lol

Interesting about them possibly staying in 221c. They could renovate it, Davina

I don't think they'll marry John for a while (at least I really hope not). They are still in their younger days.The dynamic of them living together is too good.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 5, 2012 9:49 pm  #15

John may get married, but nobody is gonna stay in that damp flat, except possibly Sherlock in hiding!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 9, 2012 9:27 pm  #16

One part of me actually wants John to get married, just to watch the reaction of the fandom.

Does that make me an evil troll like Moffat? 

And even if he does get married, we all know it won't last for long (poor Mary), and before you know it he'll be back at Baker Street with SH where he belongs.

October 9, 2012 9:29 pm  #17

Poor Steven getting called a troll...

I love him!   

October 9, 2012 9:31 pm  #18

Aww, I love him too! Probably a lot more than I should. I bought this T-shirt recently:

[img]http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.12090720.0173/fig,black,mens,ffffff.jpg[/img]

October 9, 2012 9:34 pm  #19

January 13, 2013 10:26 pm  #20

Just a note on John and his therapist (and Mrs. Hudson, for that matter):

I'm toying with the idea that John has read between the lines of his last conversation with Sherlock ("It's a trick.  It's just a magic trick") as well as the peculiar events surrounding the suicide.  I mean, John knows about Moriarty, and knows they're in a dreadful, dangerous game with him.  And then, from out of the blue, Sherlock lies and says he's a fake and jumps from Bart's.  It doesn't make any logical sense.

I believe that John believes Sherlock is dead - but John would see through the "fake" thing and link this to Moriarty - and likely would suspect something bigger at work.  Sherlock told him to "tell anyone who will listen" that he was a fake and a fraud.  So, perhaps John (knowing Sherlock would have good purpose if he killed himself) is complying with Sherlock's wishes.  

When the therapist asks John to tell her what happened, and again to say the "stuff" he wanted to say, she may be asking John to violate Sherlock's last wish.  He can't tell her what really happened, because Sherlock asked him to tell a lie.  Likewise, at the cemetery, John waits until Mrs. Hudson is out of earshot before he tells Sherlock "no one will ever convince me that you told me a lie."  He can't speak the truth if anyone will hear.  

I'm thinking John is primed for a second act here - whether he knows it or not.

Fillyjonk

Check my Tumblr for a musical tribute to Sherlock's devotion during series 3.
http://imtooticky.tumblr.com

Board footera