BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 5, 2012 12:54 am  #1

Roleplay Guidelines

I thought it might be helpful to lay out some of those unspoken 'rules' of role play such as we might find here on this forum, or Omegle etc. If you have anything to add, please do so.

1) Anyone can play any character from the Sherlock universe if it's not already spoken for, or create a brand new character.

2) Don't play someone else's character.

3) Do not presume to direct action or dialogue for a character you are not playing. Example: I say X,Y,Z and take action is okay.  I say X,Y,Z, you say A,B,C and I take action is not okay.

4) Go with the cues you have been given. RP stories are ever-evolving due to the ideas and actions of the characters - respond to what's happening and don't be offended or upset if the story doesn't go where you expected it to - that's part of the fun!

5) Make sure you are responding to the most recent developments in the story. Try not to go backwards in the storyline - make sure you're moving it forwards. This can sometimes be hard to do if it's moving very fast but generally is achievable.

That's all I can think of for now.

Edit: typos & way too many words

Last edited by Wholocked (April 5, 2012 1:00 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 5, 2012 1:04 am  #2

Re: Roleplay Guidelines

Oops!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 5, 2012 1:08 am  #3

All good, it's a practice after all. But a couple of people have been doing some of those things so I thought it might be an idea to have them written out somewhere.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 5, 2012 2:50 am  #4

It's fine guys...don't worry if you've got it wrong or whatever...not everyone has done it before so it's all part of the fun and hence why we had a "practice", although next time it'll be the real thing, lol.

I'm enjoying the practice run anyway though, it's nice to see lots of people getting involved. If you can think of any fun storylines that might be good to do then make a post about them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 5, 2012 2:18 pm  #5

Thanks for setting up the practice run! It's been fun.

I'm away for a little while so if someone wants to take over John's character--feel free!

Au revoir,

S

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

April 1, 2013 11:28 am  #6

Call me an idiot, but I still don't get what's the difference between role play and a round robbin because it reads like a multi-author fanfiction story.

Last edited by saturnR (April 1, 2013 11:28 am)

Board footera