BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 5, 2012 6:16 pm  #1

BBC Sherlock manga adaptation

Kadokawa's Young Ace magazine is adapting BBC Sherlock A Study in Pink in its October issue (out October 4th).

www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/news/a403872/sherlock-gets-manga-adaptation.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 8, 2012 11:44 pm  #2

Re: BBC Sherlock manga adaptation

This will be either awesome or terrible.

September 9, 2012 12:34 am  #3

I am on the side of awesome.. judging from what's already out there in Fan Art..

Star Wars had a manga in the the late 1990s and they were brilliant!

September 9, 2012 12:48 am  #4

Sammy wrote:

This will be either awesome or terrible.

Yup, haha. I am also leaning on awesome. I'm a manga fan (not huge but I really like the artistry) so I'm looking forward to this. I like that picture shown...we'll see!

The Doctor wrote:

I am on the side of awesome.. judging from what's already out there in Fan Art..

Star Wars had a manga in the the late 1990s and they were brilliant!

Really?? First I've heard! I'll have to look into that.

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

September 10, 2012 7:24 pm  #5

That sounds interesting.
I like manga, so I hope this will be rather awesome than terrible. ^^

--------------------------------------------------
Crime in Progress. Please Disturb.

September 11, 2012 12:06 am  #6

A great review of teh Star Wars manga on AMazon:

"I wasn't sure what to expect with the Star Wars: Manga series. I wasn't sure if it would just be a tired retread of familiar material done with big eyes, or if it would be the first really quality adaptation of the Star Wars films. Because lets face it, most Star Wars comics suck. The art is lacklustre, with artists often trying to make their character look too much like Harrison Ford or Mark Hamill. The dialogue is flimsy, with characters either spouting catchphrases from the movies or just dropping awkward speech balloons all over the place. No, Dark Horse has not done much with the coveted Star Wars franchise to crow about. Until now.
I'm not one of those fans that preaches the unfailing superiority of Japanese manga. Nor do I decry the often exaggerated facial expressions and unfamiliar art style. I simply appreciate good comics, and this is good comics. This is the best graphic novel adaptation of Star Wars: A New Hope that anyone could ever ask for. The well-known script is adapted directly from George Lucas' original script, and so it includes the new scenes of the Special Edition releases from a few years back (Though Han does seem the shoot first in a highly satisfyingly violent scene). This is not merely a storyboard adaptation, but a true utilisation of what comics do best. Hisao Tamaki, who adapts and draws this story, uses plenty of panels just to establish mood and setting, most noticeable in the Mos Eisley Cantina scene. The characters, thankfully, are not modelled on their silver screen counter-parts, but rather have a life of their own. Action scenes are a beauty to behold, and Tamaki's kinetic style is really showcased. The lightsaber duel between Vader and Obi-Wan is infused with a distinctly Japanese aesthetic, giving the samurai-esque Kenobi a mobility that the honourable Sir Alec Guiness could simply never achieve. The destruction of Alderaan is handled far more dramatically than in the film, flashing panels of the people of that doomed world with the Death Star as it charges its cannon. The blast is one of those truly impressive sights that make your eyes widen in an attempt to take it all in.
Perhaps the most appealing part of this series is the way Tamaki exploits the lighter moments to brilliant effect. The Jawa's incessant jabbering, the mugging of Luke and Han, and especially the frantic chases through the Death Star in the third volume all illicit great little moments. Once one becomes accustomed to Tamaki's visual language, including little teardrops and pulsing forehead veins, it's easy to follow the laughs.
If there are any drawbacks to this story, they involve the inevitable problems in translating a Japanese work for an English market. Virtually all panels are mirrored to accommodate our left-to-right reading style. It seems that some action scenes devoid of dialogue were left in their original format, making the transition a bit jarring if your eye's sharp enough to spot the gaffes. I've read other reviews that disapproved of the sound effect lettering, arguing that it distracted from the art in certain scenes. I agree that the sound effects are occasionally overwhelming, but they are clearly an important part of the art style, and are used so effectively in certain scenes that I'm willing to forgive this minor sin.
For any fans of the Star Wars films or comics series, this set is a valuable and highly entertaining addition that lets you appreciate the classic tale in a new medium. I look forward to reading the following Star Wars: Manga adaptations. "

September 11, 2012 12:37 am  #7

WOW they drew the characters pefectlyy! Awww I love Sherlock and John soo muchh<3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Look, I'm in shock, I have a blanket."
-- Sherlock

October 4, 2012 9:58 pm  #8

The first issue came out today. Apparently it will be a monthly thing. The first one covers the first part of ASiP.

Here are the best pics I could find so far.

http://kitsune-no-ame.livejournal.com/pics/catalog/1503/a0/p0

The person uploaded them in reverse so go to page two then click back to read/look in order.

They follow the show so closely, I thought they were going to do more their own thing. Great artwork I think

October 8, 2012 7:44 pm  #9

I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet?

I'll say again, I like how the characters where drawn. They even drew Ben's mouth.

I've got better scans and a partial translation.

Here are the better scans (just keep clicking "next" to see the rest)

Here someone is translating it, not finished yet though.

Some samples:

Last edited by Sam (October 8, 2012 8:34 pm)

October 8, 2012 7:47 pm  #10

My daughter is very happy about this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 8, 2012 7:58 pm  #11

I'll admit, I was able to find it for a really good price on the internet...it's on its way! LOL.

Still not sure if I'll buy all of them because though it's relatively inexpensive for the fact it's being shipped from Japan, it will be a lot of money in the end. I had the idea of pulling the Sherlock pages out and making them all one book in the end. Argh, not sure yet.

October 9, 2012 11:13 am  #12

We had this childrens show on TV, called "Heidi". I found it "okayyyy", but since then every manga reminds me of "Heidi".... 
So, no sir, nothing for me. 

http://www.tv-nostalgie.de/Sound/Heidi.htm

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 9, 2012 10:14 pm  #13

^ Ah, I see.

I grew up with anime and manga so it's always been an interest of mine. I'm not obsessed like a lot of people but I enjoy specific ones. I'm an artist and I really appreciate the art mostly!

October 9, 2012 11:05 pm  #14

Wow, that looks amazing! SO well drawn...I can't understand it though so, I dunno, not much point in buying it I guess! Really great though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 10, 2012 12:37 am  #15

^ I gave a link for a person who is posting the translations So far, they are pretty much straight quotes from the show anyway.

October 13, 2012 9:26 pm  #16

This looks pretty good, very well drawn. I'm interested about the copyright. It seems like an infringement...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 14, 2012 8:37 pm  #17

Hmm, yeah I wonder about the copyright. I wonder if they got permission or if the creative license is on their side.

October 24, 2012 8:04 am  #18

Wow, in spite of anything it's not that bad...

November 7, 2012 4:58 pm  #19

Grr, the stupid school computer won't let me view any of the images. I'll have to wait 'til I get home to check this manga thing out. Sounds interesting though, I think I heard about it somewhere earlier.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You're so nice
You're not good, you're not bad
You're just nice

I'm not good, I'm not nice
I'm just right
I'm the witch
You're the world" - The Witch, Into the Woods

November 8, 2012 5:01 am  #20

Issue 2 is now out