BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 9, 2012 10:27 am  #1

Sherlock Mycroft

Anyone else notice that Mycroft might actually have the same abilities as sherlock.    In a scandal in belgravia they both figure out that the hikers death was an accident.   In the Great Game mycroft told sherlock that john didnt sleep on the lylo but the sofa, when sherlock guessed the lylo.

Would be great if we knew what mycroft does, especially if he is anything like sherlock and being in the government it would make for a good story.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Come On Jan already!

October 9, 2012 10:31 am  #2

Re: Sherlock Mycroft

I also noticed that. And developing this plane project also shows his capacities.
Never underestimate Mycroft 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 9, 2012 11:02 am  #3

It is in the original stories (the canon) that Mycroft is actually cleverer than his brother. In the canon he is too lazy to bother doing anything much with his talents but in our Sherlock he is a much more active character. The hints (big) in the series is that he is probably working for the intelligence services, MI5/MI6 or the like.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 9, 2012 11:06 am  #4

... and freelanced CIA, right? 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 9, 2012 11:09 am  #5

Isn't it a fact that Mycroft has the same or even more abilities as/than Sherlock. He just too lazy (to much legwork )

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 9, 2012 11:11 am  #6

Oh no! Not CIA! He might work in conjunction with them but he is part of the 'British Government' after all so he would not being working for them. CIA and MI5/6 are not always on the same side, believe it or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 9, 2012 11:28 am  #7

I was wondering exactly the same, but didn't they mention it somewhere?
I think it was ASiB

Last edited by Harriet (October 9, 2012 11:39 am)

October 9, 2012 12:03 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

Oh no! Not CIA! He might work in conjunction with them but he is part of the 'British Government' after all so he would not being working for them. CIA and MI5/6 are not always on the same side, believe it or not.

Of course not, two different countries with two different interests Some so called friends are worse than your enemies!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

October 9, 2012 7:18 pm  #9

Found it: Sherlock introducing Mycroft ASiP:

"He is the British Government - when he's not too busy being the Secret Service or the CIA on a freelance basis.
Good evening, Mycroft. Try not to start a war before I get home, you know what it does for the traffic."

Maybe said with irony, but now I know I remembered right. 

October 9, 2012 9:25 pm  #10

Well, there was the nasty American in Scandal who, in the end was working WITH Mycroft on the Coventry project.

Anyway, that's beside the point...

It's canon that Mycroft is more intelligent and with better deductive powers than his little brother. He is just lazy and doesn't like to put them to good use, but I like it in the series when they allude to it - for example, when Mycroft deduces correctly about John's sleeping arrangements, and Sherlock doesn't.

There's a really good scene in one of the canon stories where Mycroft and Sherlock are competing for deductions, trying to outdo each other. Can't remember which one now.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 9, 2012 10:31 pm  #11

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 9, 2012 10:33 pm  #12

Ahahaha, I like that. One of the family traits.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 21, 2012 4:07 am  #13

Apparently Mycroft has superior mental capabilities, but he doesn't pursue cases with the kind of energy that Sherlock does. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

January 7, 2013 8:54 pm  #14

I am have entertained the thought that Mycroft is Moriarty. Using Sherlock as a distraction for what ever scheme he has instore for the world or himself.

January 8, 2013 5:08 pm  #15

cthomaspowell wrote:

I am have entertained the thought that Mycroft is Moriarty. Using Sherlock as a distraction for what ever scheme he has instore for the world or himself.

Meeeeh, Sherlock would have found out. #BelieveInSherlock
Even if I'm not familiar with the novels I know that they are really two different characters. And the series stays close to Conan Doyles novels - just in a modern way.
But that reminds me of the scene in A Study in Pink, where you first see Mycroft but you get the impression it's Moriarty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera