BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 29, 2012 2:47 am  #1

"My Elementary Review:"

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you there. It's loading right now from iTunes (a free episode?! iTunes, you shouldn't have!) which I wouldn't have done had it not conveniently offered me the pilot of any new series that I wanted.

As soon as it finishes I'll watch it and tell you lot what I think. Anyone who saw it last night, feel free to chime in, hence the quotation marks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

September 29, 2012 6:53 pm  #2

Re: "My Elementary Review:"

Elementary. Until Thursday night it was, to those of us who didn't catch the leaked pilot, something of a wild card. Would it be terrible? Would it be alright? Would it be an insult to the name Sherlock Holmes?

Well, the moment has passed and we can all breathe a sigh of relief knowing that at least the latter is not true. I don't watch cop shows and I never have. People tell me that I should watch NCIS or CSI or those kinds of shows, and I watched a few episodes of The Mentalist a while back, but I find them incredibly formulaic and somewhat boring. Unfortunately, Elementary was no different. I agree with Lyndsay Faye when she says that Joan Watson bears almost no resemblance to the John Watson of canon.

The role of John Watson as a handler was introduced in Sherlock and only amplified in Elementary, something that works between these two sets of actors/characters but actually has no basis in canon. I believe this is because directors and writers hate characters that are doing nothing, and with the introduction of this concept, Sherlock managed to avoid the Nigel Bruce bumbling Watson stereotype but failed to capture the true relationship between the two that we seen in the canon and the Granada series. Elementary only furthers Watson's role as Holmes's babysitter, which creates rapport between the two but makes it drift further from canon.

Holmes's sexuality was another sore spot for me. As far as we know, in canon he is asexual, and in Sherlock he is something like sapiosexual if he feels sexual attraction at all. This works, at least for me, although a real purist would condemn Sherlock for the inaccuracy of the Adler-Holmes relationship. The idea of Sherlock hiring out prostitutes is, I suppose, just another interpretation of how the very gentlemanly Victorian Holmes would change in the modern day, but, (hold your breath, please)  like the way Sherlock does it better.

It did have good points, as SH pointed out. The beekeeping, mania, constant boredom, etc. all worked very well for a characterization of Holmes, and I believe that while Jonny Lee Miller leaves something to be desired, Lucy Liu does an excellent performance with the lines she is given.

It wasn't terrible although it did feel dumbed down (it takes me at least half a dozen times watching Sherlock to catch everything, while I think that another go at this pilot would do it) I don't believe that's the fault of the creators, it's simply the format and the director, because Paul McGuigan is frankly a genius and Eros Lyn is very good as well. They both add in lots of easter egg details.

7.5/10.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know; I saw.

September 29, 2012 10:43 pm  #3

Nice review,  Smoggy.   As I said elsewhere,  the one thing that bugged me was JLM wearing that scarf.  Otherwise,  this show was NOTHING  like the canon,     and almost NOTHING  like  BBC Sherlock.   Yeah,  they could have called him by another name,  but then that wouldn't get us viewers to watch it,  would it? 

I'd  rate it  7  out  of ten,  but I'm  gonna keep watching to see how it unfolds.   AND  to see if he gets rid of that scarf.   Lucky  he's not wearing a long coat!!  And maybe he'll have trouble with his cell phone,  like I do with mine.  See,  I  could write for this show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 30, 2012 11:07 pm  #4

I liked your review, nice! And agree with most of it too.

I actually really wanted to HATE this show, but I can't quite bring myself to do that. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 4, 2012 2:15 am  #5

Swanpride wrote:

I hope it's okay to add my two cents here instead of opening another threat about the topic....

Perfectly fine, that's what this thread is for!

As far as your review goes, I agree for the most part, but I believe that as a simple procedural is was actually above the curve. Granted, I don't watch too many procedurals, but I thought that without the Sherlock Holmes connection it might have been alright.

And what a sad fictitious world that is!

I didn't know; I saw.

October 5, 2012 6:43 pm  #6

I will give it  a fair view, when it airs here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 6, 2012 1:40 pm  #7

I watched the pilot of "Elementary" last week, and I went to sleep in the middle of it, so I gave it another try on Thursday.  I agree with previous posters in that it isn't canon in any way, shape or form. I kept getting the feeling that I was missing something.  While watching BBC Sherlock, I'd sometimes be amazed that people were so polite with Sherlock; I think some of the things he said, especially to Donovan and Anderson, would have earned him a smack in the face here in the US!  He's pretty eccentric, rude, and snotty; on his good days. Putting Sherlock in NY in "Elementary" is a very interesting angle, to me, and  I think the actors are doing a good job with what they have to work with.    Lots of room for improvement here, once they figure out where they want to go with it.

October 7, 2012 12:32 am  #8

I read the recap of the new episode. It's good that they added in the violin but as a self-hardened Elementary hater (I'm sorry to say) all I can think was that I'd expected it already, so no points for Elementary.

I really need to get out of this mindset.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 7, 2012 1:35 am  #9

I'm watching the pilot right now. If I didn't know this was a Sherlock Holmes adaptation, the only way I would know would be because of the random cliche Sherlock Holmes stuff like when Johnny Lee Miller says "It's elementary" or talks about bees and stuff like that. The characters don't bug me as much as I thought they would, but I found myself bored with them and feeling like I was watching CSI: Baker Street. It wasn't horrible in my opinion, but nothing special. I think what's special about ACD and Sherlock Holmes is the characters... so while BBC Sherlock seems to be Character then Plot, Elementry goes opposite with Plot then Character. I think this kind of took away from the whole idea of a modern Sherlock Holmes in New York. Also, in comparison, BBC Sherlock is just so much more artistically done than Elementary. I know I shouldn't compare the two but it was hard not to notice the massive difference in this aspect in scenes where Johnny Lee Miller recited lines that were almost word for word identical to lines from BBC Sherlock. So, in conclusion, I don't think Elementary is awful but I don't think it will last.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn!" - Jack Kerouac

October 7, 2012 6:10 am  #10

Ok, I have just finished watching the first 2 episodes.

From the first moment I had an inkling as to what was going on with this one. Let's look at this as an updated version of the ACD canon that would be appealing to the 'masses', which is what their intent was. It wasn't their intent to copy BBC Sherlock so we must wipe that one to the side for now.
I hate to inform you all, but they have done exactly what they set out to do.

Society today has this overwhelming urge to analyse everything and everyone. It also has this obsession with 'excess'.
The makers of this show have taken the little character quirks of the canon Holmes and used them to excess in the extreme.
- Canon Holmes had hints of 'a habit'; so Elementary Holmes is a full blown recovering addict.
- Canon Holmes would make a few 'brilliant deductions' during each case; so Elementary Holmes seems to 'run off at the mouth' with deductions almost non-stop.
- Canon Holmes would use odd methods to deduce facts; so Elementary Holmes uses nothing BUT odd methods, some completely unnecessary at times.
- Canon Holmes kept bees later in life, after he retired; so Elementary Holmes skips through time somewhat & lands him with that hobby straight away (why waste time introducing every possible trait, let's get it over & done with)
- Canon Holmes played a violin; so Elementary Holmes makes a spectacle of burning one in some kind of 'tantrum' only to settled down later & simply play it (one MUST have drama before we can settle down to 'normal' mustn't we?)

The list of 'excess' goes on, but you get the gist. In just 2 episodes, they have covered a vast majority of Holmes' traits. At this pace they are going to end up rehashing a lot of stuff quite soon.

What they have failed to do is keep the one element that made ACD's canon truly wonderful and truly believable.
For the most part, all the cases solved were 'elementary'. They were based on normal, everyday events. The clues were ordinary, possibly mundane facts. But once strung together & woven into the riddle, these small observations, produced answers that when we looked back we would say ' well that was so obvious and yet we all missed it'.
They have lost the simplistic beauty of 'the everyday' things being important.

Now, adding BBC Sherlock into the equation, they too have 'updated' things. Yes, some simplistic things have become a little more complicated (as have our lives), but for the most part the creators HAVE tried to keep the premise of 'the simplest' of explanations being the answer. that premise is something that 'old Sherlockians' hold close to their heart. The beauty in the 'simple solution' makes you pause and admire the writings of ACD. How clever of him to take the 'average' , add a few 'normal' twists & turns, produce complete bewilderment and then unravel the 'normal' for all to see and leave us thinking 'that WAS very elementary'.

I think I shall nickname this series " My Ale Entry" because they have lost the meaning of Elementary completely.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 7, 2012 7:23 am  #11

And the relationship?  The friendship is the most important part of the stories, for me.
But anyway, Benedict is still very positive about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 7, 2012 11:26 am  #12

Well, that's friendship for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 11:32 am  #13

I meant, does it work with Jonny and Lucy?

October 7, 2012 11:40 am  #14

I know. I was just referring to Benedict being supportive to his mate.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 7, 2012 11:41 am  #15

Sorry, I realised that and should have said so, funny you should mention that...

October 7, 2012 11:24 pm  #16

Thanks for the in-depth review, Kazza. Props.

Continuing with the focus on canon, I read one review that talks about how Elementary obeys the "spirit of the books" much better than Sherlock does. In my opinion, this is completely and utter delusion. I read every story and every novel, and in my opinion the "spirit" of the books is something mostly along the lines of:

Watson, old buddy, some poor bloke has gotten himself framed/robbed/killed/involved in some other unfortunate mishap and has requested my help. I've been really, really, really bored lately and have decided to take the case instead of sinking back into my cocaine/morphine-induced stupor (did I mention I've been really bored lately?). Since you happen to have come back to Baker Street at precisely the right time would you do me the honor of coming along and writing another one of your romanticized case files for me/do some other favor that might or might not (read: probably) jeopardize your life and contribute to the case?

Elementary follows this formula to the letter.
...not. But there might just be another show out there that does.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 8, 2012 11:06 am  #17

Swanpride wrote:

The spirit of the book is fairly boring...basically Sherlock and Watson are sitting around in Baker Street, some sort of client turns up and tells a story in the most complicated manner possible, and the rest is about Sherlock deducing and Watson being in awe of his abilities. There are only a few stories in which Watson's abilities with a gun actually come in handy or there is actually a sense a of danger. Considering that I though Elementary was very boring to, the assessment might not be that much off the mark...

Well I guess if you are looking for action & adventure, the canon is not for you. What a horrifying description of these wonderful tales!
This is the problem today, with so much emphasis on action, blood & guts, shooting etc people want that in every detective story. But that is NOT what a detective story is about. And certainly NOT what ACD's canon is about.
The stories are more about the mental processes used to unravel mysteries, not all of which were murders or violence in any way. Becoming 'involved' in the canon is more a cerebral activity than one seeking adventure.
And that activity these days can be seen as you have described, as boring. Yet diehard ACD fans will tell you that is far from the truth.
It's an acquired taste and not one that can be achieved from one quick perusal of the works. I guess that is the downfall; there is no instant way to canon appreciation in this case.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

October 8, 2012 6:20 pm  #18

Swanpride wrote:

on or another (I think the worst is the one with the ape human). But this is the basic concept for it. I doubt though that this concept really fits into what the american networks consider a good show. I think Columbo was the last one who really operated this way, with no action scenes thrown in every other episdoe. Nowadays it seems to be all about the drama and about action.

The Creeping Man was so incredibly bizarre I didn't know what to think. I just thought "Well, okay then..." and moved on. Where did ACD get the idea for that one? Jeez. One thing I like about Sherlock much, much more than Elementary is that 90 minutes gives it ample time to focus on every aspect of reaching a solution. The problem with any of these plotlines is that Sherlock Holmes isn't a real person and therefore it's impossible to write him as if he was. ACD made mistakes, Steven Moffat makes mistakes, Rob Doherty makes mistakes. I think everyone's preference depends somewhat on which mistakes they're more willing to overlook.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 8, 2012 10:55 pm  #19

kazza474 wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

The spirit of the book is fairly boring...basically Sherlock and Watson are sitting around in Baker Street, some sort of client turns up and tells a story in the most complicated manner possible, and the rest is about Sherlock deducing and Watson being in awe of his abilities. There are only a few stories in which Watson's abilities with a gun actually come in handy or there is actually a sense a of danger. Considering that I though Elementary was very boring to, the assessment might not be that much off the mark...

Well I guess if you are looking for action & adventure, the canon is not for you. What a horrifying description of these wonderful tales!
This is the problem today, with so much emphasis on action, blood & guts, shooting etc people want that in every detective story. But that is NOT what a detective story is about. And certainly NOT what ACD's canon is about.
The stories are more about the mental processes used to unravel mysteries, not all of which were murders or violence in any way. Becoming 'involved' in the canon is more a cerebral activity than one seeking adventure.
And that activity these days can be seen as you have described, as boring. Yet diehard ACD fans will tell you that is far from the truth.
It's an acquired taste and not one that can be achieved from one quick perusal of the works. I guess that is the downfall; there is no instant way to canon appreciation in this case.

I blame Guy Ritchie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 26, 2012 3:20 am  #20

One issue I have with this show after viewing a larger body of work is Sherlock's attainability as a genius. Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock has more personality traits in common with me than any other adaptation I've seen. I actually find it kind of obnoxious.

Particularly his reaction when he sees Peter Talbott dead of an overdose. His reaction was really quite emotional. ("NO, I'M FINE, I'M WORKING ON A CASE")

I didn't know; I saw.

Board footera