BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 2, 2012 3:30 pm  #1

Secret Handshake Protocol

Hi! I just thought I would make a separate post to explain what I meant by "secret handshake" in the Richard Brook thread. As Kazza offered in the other thread, "a secret handshake is just passing messages through hand signals."

Here's a few more details to try to explain why I think Moriarty as Richard Brook is at risk of being shot.

Okay, to put things in context,  a few definitions...

Modern cryptography--in order to make "secrecy" more difficult to decode--now uses two keys to encrypt/decrypt coded messages: A private key code and a public key code. (If you're really interested; see my website here for a more detailed--but still oversimplified--explanation of how this works and how it pertains to the Reichenbach episode.)

The exchange of the public key is anonymous and some sort of system is needed to identify the "interested parties". A secret handshake is used for those purposes. In other words, a secret handshake is used for mutually anonymous authentication among untrusted parties. (We see this in spy movies all the time but we never really dissect what it all means, right?)

But, look closely at the interaction between Sherlock and the first guy who saves his life. I think when Sherlock touches his chest/jacket he is in fact initiating/opening the secret handshake protocol. Once they have established authentication, they shake hands...

However, it seems that Moriarty (or even Mycroft) has put a killing order on anyone who tries to code with Sherlock. And since the entire thing is anonymous, a fellow named Richard Brook is in danger (but not Moriarty who holds the private key code).

So, to go back to Kitty Riley's flat, I think Sherlock sends Moriarty a challenge (look at the expression on his face!) when he tries to open the handshake protocol. Something along the lines of, "Oh, so you want to be Richard Brook, eh? You've got all the proof? Well, let's see where that gets you."

And when Sherlock moves towards "Richard" (and to me it doesn't look like he wants to punch him) Morichard yells "Don't you touch me! Don't you dare lay a finger on me!" so he doesn't get shot.

So that's what I think happened... OR I might be trying to make links where there are none! :D

Last edited by Shenanigans (April 2, 2012 3:55 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Moriarty: "How hard do you find it? Having to say 'I don't know' ?"
Sherlock: "I don't know."
Moriarty: "Oh that's clever, that's very clever, awfully clever."

April 2, 2012 4:15 pm  #2

Re: Secret Handshake Protocol

shenanigans, that's very interesting.
I have not thought it through completely, but I've noticed this: When Sherlock shakes the hand of the assassin, who pulled him away from the car, and says 'Thank you', the assassin gets shot. If you watch this sequence again, you might notice, that the way it plays out and the way it is filmed, is almost identical to the hand shake scene on the roof top. The handshake is filmed up close, Sherlock says 'thank you', the guy, who shook hands with Sherlock dies by shotgun, Sherlock  almost flies away backwards from him,pulls up his arms and scans the surrounding area for snipers. The rooftop scene plays out almost like a deja vue, including the 'thank you', only this time it doesn't come from Sherlock,but from Jim, who says 'Thank you -- Sherlock Holmes' . Sherlock's reactions and gestures are almost identical to his behaviour in the street scene, including the scanning of the surrounding area. Also, before Jim shakes his hand, Sherlock made this cryptic remark about him being willing to shake hands in hell with Jim.
Since I still entertain this little theory, that Rich Brook and Jim Moriarty might not be the same person, I always interpreted Rich's frantic moves  away from Sherlock as an attempt to prevent Sherlock from getting too close to him, but him frequently saying 'Don't touch me' and then running away like a rabbit is definitely prudent, because there seems to be indeed a certain risk to end up dead, when one gets touched by Sherlock, at least for some persons.

Last edited by sherlocked (April 2, 2012 4:18 pm)

April 2, 2012 4:22 pm  #3

I think you might be onto something. I too noticed the similarity in handshakes and the fact that shaking hands seems to feature a lot in this episode. The first time I watched it, I honestly thought Jim was going to get shot to pieces when he shook Sherlock's hand, and that Sherlock KNEW that, which was why he offered to shake hands in the first place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 2, 2012 4:26 pm  #4

And shaking hands is not something, Sherlock does out of a polite routine all the time.
Like you, when Jim grabs Sherlock's hand, I thought 'You're dead, man!'

Last edited by sherlocked (April 2, 2012 4:27 pm)

April 2, 2012 6:05 pm  #5

*loves*

Oh, excellent theories! :D In my mind Richard and Moriarty were one and the same (based on the little sneaky look Richard gives Sherlock at one point) but, yeah, that doesn't necessarily mean our dear Richard couldn't be Jim's brother playing with Sherlock too and giving him sneaky looks! Might even explain the secret handshake better.

*ponders*

Hmm, I'm going to let this possibility percolate in my mind.

Thanks for sharing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 2, 2012 6:57 pm  #6

shenanigans, this little theory of mine about Rich Brook and Jim Moriarty could be quite wrong, but your observations about the  handshake thing has independant merit and should be explored.

April 2, 2012 7:56 pm  #7

*grins* Well, I think cryptography might help to explain what is going on during the starring contest on top of the rooftop. ;D

Still thinking about Richard. :D

April 2, 2012 10:43 pm  #8

I personally think that Moriarty and Brook are the same person, but I have always felt that there was a greater significance to the roof top conversation that appeared on it's surface. I'm not sure I'm convinced by the idea of secret handshakes - that's not something that's been introduced in the series at all (so how does Sherlock know it??) and I haven't read of it in the canon at all. But that doesn't mean I'm closed to the idea. I'll have to go have another look (oh no! I'll have to watch RF again! However will I cope?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 2, 2012 10:59 pm  #9

I tried to find something about secret handshakes or signs in the canon, and couldn't find anything. However, ACD used a lot of coded signals and languages as plot devices. I found a book for kids about codes and signs, and there is a whole 'Sherlock Holmes' chapter in it.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/69771804/PR-Secret-Codes
(chapter 7 is the relevant one)
Also, Steve Thompson also wrote the much maligned 'Blind Banker', where codes and secret signs feature prominently. So, it's not out of the question.
wholocked, I feel with you! Watching RF again and again feels a bit like Ground Hog Day, lol! But like in the movie, each time I watch a scene again, it seems to be a little different and I discover something new.

April 2, 2012 11:17 pm  #10

Oh yes, exactly. I was being sarcastic - love a good excuse to rewatch them, especially when there's something new to look out for!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 3, 2012 1:00 am  #11

1. How can being in an open street & being assassinated from a sniper on a rooftop be similar to being in a random flat and sending the supposed same message to snipers who have miraculously set up with the flat in view?

2. The Sherlock Holmes stories are detective based, not spy based. If they are made spy based we shall soon see James Bond style weaponry etc in play and THAT is completely out of line.

3. Again be reminded, all things needed to get the solution are on the screen in front of you.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

April 3, 2012 1:24 am  #12

Mmmm good points all. I have to say I don't believe they have gone the secret handshake route, but there is something fun about the idea.

April 3, 2012 3:07 pm  #13

*grins* Thanks for your responses, I enjoyed reading them!

I just wanted to clarify that "The Secret Handshake" protocol is not a 'theory' per se--it's just a method of communicating secret information. I'm afraid that I might've made it sound more complicated than it is. ;D

Also, 'Secret Handshakes" are not rooted in espionage at all! It is part of the science of cryptology (de-coding hidden messages). If you look on "The Science of Deduction" website, you will see examples of cryptology (simple, one key messages to decrypt.)

Modern day cryptography is obviously more complicated. Interestingly enough, the founders of modern day cryptography were a group of British scientists who were teasingly called "The Boffins".

Okay this is me going on a tangent! ;D

One of the earliest de-coding machine was invented by Alan Turing, a Boffin. I found it very interesting to read that Turing committed suicide and died in disgrace of cyanide poisoning (while apparently re-anacting Snow White Fairy Tale). The British Government has finally issued a formal apology to Turing (who was wrongly accused) and have declared 2012 "The Year of Alan Turing". If you're interested, you can read the entire thing  here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

Going back to the secret handshake as it pertains to Reichenbach Falls...
The majority of the episode revolves around cryptology and obtaining a secret key code (that's what Moriarty has told all of his clients! Note: I'm not saying there is one... I'm saying interested parties are looking for one) so it would make sense that they would know the basics of how to exchange secret information. :D

As far as the Richard Brook being potentially scared of shaking hands with Sherlock--who knows! I initially thought of it to give an example of "spring boarding" ideas off each other and it kinda grew from there (LOL!) But, as Kazza said, it's hard to imagine that there would be a snipper positioned with a good view of Sherlock and Richard!

That being said, I'm not quite ready to dismiss the idea. I think a lot of the cryptology communication can be done via technology! Actually, you might be interested to know that a certain R. Grimm is one of the forerunners in integrating the use of cryptography messages into modern day technology such as a smart phone.
(But perhaps that's just a coincidence, I realize that!)

1) Grimm and Cryptography: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/fakmn/uploads/media/Crypto_ProfGrimm.pdf

2) Grimm and Tech: https://www.uni-koblenz.de/~aggrimm/teaching/2011ss/SMA/SM3_Mobile_Tech_part1.pdf

Anyway, I do believe I have used what's in front of me, but thanks for the reminder! (you know I'm just teasing,  dear Kazza!)

Cheers!
S

Last edited by Shenanigans (April 3, 2012 3:10 pm)

April 3, 2012 3:34 pm  #14

Whilst we're bouncing around ideas I'm surprised no-one has brought this up yet.

Masonic lodge members often use handshakes which to the untrained eye are simply handshakes. To the knowledgeable observer though rank, lodge and affiliation are all prominent in the grasp. Being one of the oldest 'secret clubs' which has guided mankind through the ages does have it on the same level as British Intelligence and global warfare and could hint towards something more sinister.

Of course conspiracy, espionage and cryptography are core features of many of the original stories - summing them up into a contemporary piece which gives a reasonable nod to the canon could be tricky.

And of course when the writers meander across the non-canon minefield too presents marvellous possibilities.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 3, 2012 4:10 pm  #15

Ah, Grimm's fairytales...every fairytale needs a good old fashioned villain...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

April 3, 2012 4:47 pm  #16

Good point m0r1arty!

You know, the masonic handshake crossed my mind a while back as well. It could somehow be related to the rooftop scene during the odd staring contest between Moriarty and Sherlock. I think Masons use light/sun shining in the eyes as a form of communication too and they are often associated with angels and demons. Also,  depending on which side of the fence you sit, some believe it's a satanic cult of sorts. 

This articles explains the "all seeing eye" used by Masons. http://www.cuttingedge.org/free19.htm

I don't know.

Perhaps it's a link worth exploring. :D

I've put this on the back burner myself because I was able to tie-in more clues with my "theory in progress"... (which uses secret handshakes--but is not the theory in itself!)

This is fun. Thanks for sharing!

April 3, 2012 4:50 pm  #17

The Professor Grimm, shenanigans has pointed out, teaches IT technology and computer science at the University of Koblenz, which, just by chance is my home town (though I don't live there anymore), and he listens to the good oldfashioned German name Rüdiger.
I think, everybody should take a look especially at the second link, shenanigans posted. If you look at the first picture, there's a symbol on the upper left side, which looks awfully familiar: I'm talking about the winged letter with the binary code digits....
I think, it's a very interesting find of shenanigans.

Last edited by sherlocked (April 3, 2012 4:52 pm)

April 3, 2012 5:10 pm  #18

Dunno about Masonic handshakes... ACD was a mason (Phoenix Lodge) , but I can't see a viable angle here. Also, the handshakes, we see here, are certainly not masonic but quite ordinary. Masonic handshakes look different.
But since we are dealing with a Sherlock for the 21rst century, I like the IT angle, Prof. Grimm from Germany might represent, especially since Moriarty was introduced to us as 'Jim from IT', before we learned, that he is the super villain of the first two seasons. If Jim worked in the IT department, he must be somewhat knowledgeable in that area.

April 3, 2012 5:37 pm  #19

I think we'd best be careful of approaching real life people with our musings. It's an unwritten rule of Alternate Reality Games not to pester people who, through coincidence, have a relation to our puzzle solving. If this Grimm were an online character with no direct roots in reality then perhaps, but it seems he has 4 children and likes to cycle in the Carpathians and so unless the Beeb have managed to get permission from him, and his university, to be involved with a psychopathic criminal I'd say we are looking in the wrong direction.

I do think though that cryptography, and it's modern applications, may hold some of the answers. Just think Vigenère cipher rather than AES, the BBC aren't trying to breed hackers. His clip-art of wings is just another coincidence.

-m0r

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

April 3, 2012 6:09 pm  #20

That's a very fair point, mOr1arty! Nobody would want to be as a clue in a tv show against his will. But I personally find the winged letter pretty suggestive, especially because of the inlaid binary code. IF there's anything in this, the makers needed Grimm's permission, and who says, that's about involvement with a  (nonexistent) criminal? This could be about showing ideas on mobile IT safety, which can be compromised by (existent) criminals. I know many university teachers, who would be thrilled to be an integral part of a high profile tv show like that.

Last edited by sherlocked (April 3, 2012 8:26 pm)

Board footera