BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 4, 2012 10:52 pm  #101

Re: Elementary pilot review

Some of you are much more generous toward this show than I feel. I had to force myself to watch till the end, just to give it a fair chance -- and I was actually looking forward to it, hoping it would be good!

I could make a lot of points, but I think the thing that the show lacked most of all was a sense of humor.

October 5, 2012 1:47 pm  #102

I watched 2nd episode last night - even though I wasn't planning to.  I think I *might* have liked it just a bit better than the first episode because there was a little more background revealed and JLM does show a touch of vulnerability that, at times, is appealing.  The violin bit was kind of nice. I think the one thing I liked the best in that episode was that Joan Watson was actually allowed to show her competent doctor side in the hospital scene.  We don't see that quite so much with John. His role seems to be more of a detective side kick - even though we see glimpses of him as a doctor here and there - examining a corpse or two and patching up Mrs. Hudson's face.  He hasn't really been 'needed' by Sherlock to be a doctor much in the 6 episodes so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 5, 2012 4:24 pm  #103

I thought Joan Watson had been struck off? Or am I missing something here? I suspect John will have an opportunity to show his skills as a medic in the next series.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2012 5:13 pm  #104

Davina wrote:

I thought Joan Watson had been struck off? Or am I missing something here? I suspect John will have an opportunity to show his skills as a medic in the next series.

Not sure what you mean by "struck off".  Do you mean she is no longer practicing medicine?  Yes, that's still true, but she is with Sherlock when they go to see a potential suspect in the hospital.  Joan is able to use her medical skills to assess if the patient is really in a coma or not.  It becomes a valuable piece of the puzzle later.

October 5, 2012 6:52 pm  #105

Ah right! Yes it means no long registered and therefore not able to practice medicine. That's what comes of not having watched the pilot yet. just reading Swanpride's post above makes me question this as well.

Last edited by Davina (October 5, 2012 6:53 pm)

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2012 10:48 pm  #106

Did anyone watch the second episode?

I haven't watch either yet but I still like reading y'all's reviews. Thinking about giving them a try still.......

----------------------------------------------------------------
SH: "Brilliant, Anderson."
Anderson: "Really?"
SH: "Yes. Brilliant impression of an idiot."

October 5, 2012 11:58 pm  #107

Sam wrote:

Did anyone watch the second episode?

I haven't watch either yet but I still like reading y'all's reviews. Thinking about giving them a try still.......

I watched it. Is there a second thread for the second ep?
Much better than the pilot, IMO. Actually, as TV goes, it was pretty smart TV, all in all.
I actually LOL'd a couple of times, believe it or not. You know, if I'd never seen *our* Sherlock,
I wouldn't be near as hard on this one.

October 6, 2012 12:09 am  #108

Swanpride wrote:

Am I suppose to believe that the hospital, with all the equipment they have, can't tell if a patient is really in a coma, but Joan Watson can? (That's something which annoyed me about the first episode too, there was so much stuff Sherlock "deduced" which was so painfully obvious that I was wondering why the police didn't see it...making everyone else incompetent in order to let the main characters look good is not the right way to go).

I guess the point was that the docto/ boyfriend was able to put the woman in a 'medically induced coma' with drugs he had access to and the rest of the hospital personnel never questioned if it was medically induced or as the result of something else.  Joan knew how to test the patient's nuerological responses for coma and confirmed that the coma was real.  It wasn't until Sherlock deduced the doctor/patient relationship later in the show that he realized the coma was induced.  But a coma is a coma, whether induced or as a result of an injury or medical condition. You wouldn't be able to tell neurologically - and if the doctor wasn't ordering specific lab tests, no one would know anything.  I'm not trying to defend the show here- just though the writers showed Joan as a compent physician and thought it was an okay move.  Overall, I still give the show a thumbs down in overall appeal.

Board footera