BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2012 7:43 am  #1

The Scapegoat

Andrew Scott is appearing in this drama (based on the story by Daphne du Marier) on ITV1 tonight (Sunday) at 9 p.m. He plays the husband of the woman with whom one of the two main characters is having an affair.

More detail and analysis including an interview with the director:

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9522581/The-Scapegoat-ITV1-Preview.html

Last edited by Davina (September 9, 2012 8:09 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 10, 2012 8:47 pm  #2

Re: The Scapegoat

I've just finished watching The Scapegoat on ITVplayer. I read this story many years ago and had, luckily, forgotten most of it. Absolutely excellent production. Fantastic cast of actors. Such a terrible sense of denouement towards the end; it was excruciating. If you get the chance to get to see this then I can heartily recommend you do so.

Andrew Scott was amazing, as usual. The character he played was so sweet and absolutely NOTHING like Jim Moriarty.

Without spoiling the story it revolves around doppelgängers.

Last edited by Davina (September 11, 2012 7:11 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 11, 2012 12:39 pm  #3

Davina wrote:

Andrew Scott was amazing, as usual. The character he played was so sweet and absolutely NOTHING like Jim Moriarty.

Of course he was. I'm looking forward to finishing it. And...so far his character seems like kind of an a$s...

P.S. I talked to my Irish (from Dublin) friend last night and was shocked to learn that she doesn't know who Andrew Scott is, and didn't recognize any of the shows or movies I mentioned him being in. Whaaatt? I know more about some Irish media than you do??

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 11, 2012 2:04 pm  #4

Alright, I just finished it. I don't know why, but in the beginning I thought his character was going to be more devious. Great movie.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 11, 2012 6:20 pm  #5

What I like about it also is that not only does he 'change' because he actually is not the same person but as a result so does everyone else. It shows how his doppelganger made everyone's lives so much worse by his presence.

September 11, 2012 8:03 pm  #6

Davina wrote:

What I like about it also is that not only does he 'change' because he actually is not the same person but as a result so does everyone else. It shows how his doppelganger made everyone's lives so much worse by his presence.

I mean AS's character (because I'd mentioned he seemed to me to be unlikable in the beginning). You know...there was much of it that I found kind of...slow? I don't know if that's the word. It was a great story, and well done for the most part. But I did feel like I was missing something. I know that's vague; maybe I should read the book.

September 11, 2012 8:30 pm  #7

I agree that it was slowly done. Personally I quite like that, like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The characters gradually unwind and i thought the shooting scene and when he races to save the wife's life was really exciting. The  original story is not a very long one. Yes, Andrew's character isn't very likeable to start with but then we realise why...it is all his brother's fault!

September 12, 2012 7:24 pm  #8

I've never seen Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy but I really want to.

To be completely fair to the actors and the story, I'd just come off of a night shift at the hospital when I decided to sit down and watch it (couldn't sleep). I was pretty brain-fried; I may have to watch it again when I'm mentally able to do more than merely take in pictures on the screen.

October 3, 2012 4:43 pm  #9

Just found this thread hiding here. I've seen it and I think it's great.
Interesting fact: My friend's Uncle plays George (the chauffeur)! I didn't know this until quite recently but I think it's pretty cool and is my current claim to fame!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

Board footera