BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2012 10:53 am  #1

Chronology of John's life?

I know we're not given much, but if anyone has speculated on John's life enough to produce some kind of chronology (if he was born in 1971, like Martin Freeman, when would he have been at various places in his education? How long could he have possibly been in Afghanistan?) it would be much better than anything I am likely to come up with. I'll credit you in my fanfiction, you lucky devil, you.

October 2, 2012 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Chronology of John's life?

First off then:
Born 1971
If born before 31st August of that year would have started school at Easter 1976 ( most probably, assuming he went to a state school). This would be Infants school. If born after 31st August then would start September 1976. Let's assume he was born before 31st August. Reception, Year 1, Year 2.
September 1978 he would move up to Junior school. Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4.
September 1982- Secondary School. Year 1, Year 2, Year 3. Then start O level/ CSE exams. Year 4, Year 5 sit O level exams in June. So now it is 1986.
September 1986- continue into school's VIth (6th ) Form or go to 6th Form college. Lower 6th, starts studying for A Levels most likely he would do 3 possibly 4 of these. They would be sciences, certainly Chemistry and Biology, as he is going to carry on into studying medicine. Upper 6th, sits A Level exams in June 1988.
September/October 1988 he goes to University to start studying as a doctor. This will take 6 years.

Hope that helps with this part of his education. Our system here has changed a bit since then so what I've given you will be authentic and accurate for the time. I'm assuming he was educated in England as the system in Scotland is, and always has been, completely different.

If you want/ need any more detail on this part please ask.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 2, 2012 3:34 pm  #3

Not sure about England, but I think here in America, the armed services will pay your way with a scholarship through Med school as long as you give back by serving when the time comes.  3 years of scholarship = 3 years of service.  If they have that in England, maybe that's how John ended up in the Army - or maybe he just signed up later because he was patriotic and liked the excitement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 2, 2012 8:25 pm  #4

I get the impression John probably signed up later, maybe even at Uni when he was studying to be a Doctor, perhaps there was one of those careers stalls and he thought "ooh, well that's something interesting and exciting I can do with my medical degree..."

Anyway, this is my chronology. I've worked backwards, starting with when he meets Sherlock in 2010, so I don't think he could have been born in 1971, even if he took a year out between finishing college and starting Uni...it would mean there'd be a few years missing in his life. I'm still working on the basis that he is older than Sherlock though...and Sherlock can't have been born any earlier than 1976 because he was a teenager during the Carl Powers case (which if my memory serves me correctly was 1988):

1974 - Born
1985 - Start secondary school
1990 - Start college/sixth form
1993 - Finish A-Levels.
1994 - Year out
1995 - Start Uni
2001 - Finish Uni
2002 - Working as a Doctor
2004 - Sign up for Army
2005 - Deployed to Afghanistan
2009 - Return from Afghanistan
2010 - Meet Sherlock (Yay!)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 2, 2012 9:30 pm  #5

Wow thank you, all of you, very much! SO FAST!
And since CD himself was irresolute in his details, I think it is traditional to take the one you need and run with it. Thanks so much for the help!

Board footera