BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2012 5:40 pm  #81

Re: Elementary pilot review

WASPs? 

Coming back to the educating- mission. I think I found some at Sherlock. In the first episode already. Anybody else found some? We could open an extra thread on that. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 30, 2012 6:49 pm  #82

SusiGo wrote:

First of all, I didn't watch Elementary yet so this has nothing to do with my opinion about this show. However, I stumbled upon this very positive review on tumblr from which I quote just one passage.

(...) Because Elementary is explicitly about their relationship it also feels like a much deeper show than Sherlock, in which the poorly-reformulated mysteries form the inarguable focus of the show and no tangible emotional or intellectual connection has ever been made between Sherlock and John. The fact is that a modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes needs to have a modern sensibility — to sex, to class, to race, and to storytelling; that’s why I feel comfortable saying at this point that Elementary is the true modern adaptation of Holmes and Watson from the way it is structured (and it is important that a woman of colour is given such a prominent and essential narrative role, particularly in the context of Sherlock‘s Orientalist racism) to the way it is executed. This is a show where Sherlock can be destroyed by a woman, and reconstructed by a woman.�
—   
-Mary O. (Elementary 1.01, “Pilot� )

Just two questions: 1. No connection between Sherlock and John? WTF have many of us been talking about for months? 2. Is this a TV show or a politically correct anti-discrimination programme? End of rant.  YES - this. All of it.

Not sure what "Sherlock" that reviewer thought he watched (and did he really watch it?) Good grief, what a bunch of hoo-ha! No emotional or intellectual connection between John and Sher? I do admit that Ben's Sherlock is not exactly forthcoming about his affections for anyone, but it's that way on purpose, John can see his connection with him, and so do the viewers, very clearly.

Elementary "deep"? What? It was not deep-- it was formulaic to the max. If they hadn't made John into Joan and transplanted the British Sherlock to NYC, it wouldn't even have rated a blip on anyone's radar. I thought the fact of Lucy Liu's being Asian was a complete non-event, had nothing to do with anything at all.... as far as I could see, she was there for her gender, not for her ethnicity.

September 30, 2012 6:53 pm  #83

Mattlocked wrote:

Interesting review....
Didn't you know that every show has to have an education mission?
Just entertaining?? Nooo, that's baaad.
Think I have to watch it soon....

Actually, in the US, every show has to have a man and a woman who are Interested In Each Other-- whether acted upon or not, it's a must that there is at least one female and one male in every episode of every show who only have eyes for each other (or other body bits for each other....depending on how far the show wants to take it).  Heterosexuality rules the day, and there must be at least one male/female storyline in every darned thing on TV, or it's a no go. And then there are the commercials (ads), which account for 20 minutes out of every hour of American prime time TV--- and sex sells; everyone knows that. Oh, excuse me, I meant to say,  heterosexual sex sells.

*rant over, sorry....*

September 30, 2012 6:56 pm  #84

Davina wrote:

Do the tongs not actually exist? Best make sure that ALL baddies are WASPs from now on then! Oh! I just realised that probably means that Jim Moriarty is all wrong too!

As an Irishman, Moriarty could very well have been a WASC, not a WASP.  ahem

September 30, 2012 8:32 pm  #85

That's exactly what I was getting at. Though he would not be Anglo-Saxon either. WIC then?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 30, 2012 8:38 pm  #86

Hello!! WASC, WASP, WIC ???
Help a stupid German, please.... 

September 30, 2012 9:34 pm  #87

Ok... the stupid Englishman's Googled it and I'm guessing....
WASP- White Anglo-Saxon Protestant
WASC- White Anglo-Saxon Catholic
WIC- White Irish Catholic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

October 1, 2012 3:38 am  #88

Molly Hooper wrote:

Ok... the stupid Englishman's Googled it and I'm guessing....
WASC- White Anglo-Saxon Catholic
WIC- White Irish Catholic

That's right, Molly, at least if we're going by the American interpretation of these terms (what else is left?)
I think people are getting too technical with this, though. WASP is usually just a term (often derogatory) for someone who belongs to no minorities. I think it's more common in the US, being a great melange of cultures, but I'm not positive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 1, 2012 8:42 am  #89

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

....at least if we're going by the American interpretation of these terms (what else is left?) ....WASP is usually just a term (often derogatory) for someone who belongs to no minorities. I think it's more common in the US, being a great melange of cultures, but I'm not positive.

It probably is a US term, yes. I first heard it ages ago, maybe at least 30+ years ago. I don't know if it's still used. It never was derogatory that I know of-- just descriptive, no more derogatory than when calling some Hispanic. That was my experience with the term anyway-- inoffensive.

October 1, 2012 3:44 pm  #90

Saw the Pilot last night.
It really has very little to do with "Sherlock" except the names of the main characters. Very different emotional undertones. Not much to do with Canon, either- will have to see if that changes.
I mildly enjoyed it, and will watch the next 2 or 3 episodes to see if it is worth watching- I watch very little TV, so it'll have to grab me. It has fewer emotional ups and downs than 'Sherlock"; it had no times when I squeeled- "Whoever wrote this is a genius"- like I did from Episode I of "Sherlock". It is less spectacular, more in sepia. Which might work very well, too. I like Lucy Liu, always have ( I always considered her a gloriously beautiful woman), and I like her understated delivery here. But again, to me, the show bears no resemblance to the one on BBC. The fact that it seems humorless might be a deal- breaker; straightforward sincerity might get tedious. But I'll give it a go.

October 1, 2012 4:10 pm  #91

Anyone know when it'll be on again?  My DVR's TV Guide didn't have any future episodes listed for the next two weeks.  I'll go to the CBS website and see if it says.

October 1, 2012 8:49 pm  #92

Sorry... I just have to...

October 1, 2012 8:51 pm  #93

LOL! Love that.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 1, 2012 9:26 pm  #94

Mattlocked wrote:

Sorry... I just have to...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  OMG, that's is PERFECT. I love it.

October 1, 2012 11:23 pm  #95

Pretty much sums it up and says it all, Mattlocked.  Brilliant!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

October 2, 2012 5:46 am  #96

Hilarious! Poor John/Joan!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 2, 2012 11:10 am  #97

Thanks Mattlocked for sharing this pic.. hehehehe.. awesome!! loved John's expression in the last frame
I too watched Elementary's first episode last night...Just out of curiosity...To be very honest, I found it quite boring. What i didn't like about the episode was that everything about this show was just 'average'. Everything includes, acting, direction, Background music, cinematography, dialogues etc. The dialogues weren't that witty, Joan's acting was ok, but Miller didn't look natural..I think there must've been a lot of pressure for him to perform well and that seems to have taken a toll on him...In my opinion, he was trying just toooo hard to be a Sherlock..trying to be  over-clever.
Sherlock's connection with a hooker was a big turn off. They didn't leave anything for the viewers to guess about his sexuality plus, that was totally a non-Sherlockian behaviour. I just couldn't believe they showed this in the first few minutes of the episode.
Another thing that disappointed me was the non-explanation of some of his deductions. The last scene where he described the outcome of a baseball match was hilarious. Heights of exaggeration plus i don't think anyone can ever do that logically..not even Our Sherlock!!  :D And then, even the first scene where he met Joan for the first time at his flat, he blurted out the exact lines of that TV show...What was that about? Nobody can guess something like that. Or was he just trying to show-off how good his memory is (coz it seemed to me that he had already watched the show a lot of times and mugged up those lines)...But whatever it was..it wasn't impressive for sure...funny, yes..
I realy wished there was something nice about the show to look forward to its upcoming episode, just for my time-pass.. but sadly, i cudn't find any. The police inspector's voice was good, but i ddin't like the pace of his speech. Too slow ..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at those cheekbones, I could cut myself slapping that face… would you like me to try?

October 2, 2012 2:24 pm  #98

monitaa wrote:

I too watched Elementary's first episode last night...Just out of curiosity...To be very honest, I found it quite boring. What i didn't like about the episode was that everything about this show was just 'average'.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, monitaa. I agree with a lot of what you said.

I see you live in India, so I don't know how familiar you are with US TV, our policies about prime time fare, etc. For them to lead off with that stoooopid hooker thing in the beginning (who gets dressed in the window, I ask you? in broad daylight yet? even hookers in the US don't do that!), and him having that S&M set-up with the handcuffs in his living room, all of that was just a blatant ploy for ratings. As if..... as if anyone in heck who cares about canonical Sherlock would be grabbed by that crap.... *shakes head* Stooooooopid, I tell you!

I'm convinced that they told Sherlock's actor to do something about his British accent--  first of all, he barely had one. Sometimes I had to strain to even hear it! Almost no Britishisms at all-- he called someone a prat once, and one other time there was some kind of word Americans don't used (might have been chuffed, I can't remember), but that was it. OTOH, *our* Sherlock often sends me to my dictionary, once I've used the subtitles to even hear/tell what they're talking about-- *our*Sherlock and John are British through and through, as far as I can tell-- accents, vocabulary, type of humor, all laced with reserve.

I hope they do something about this Sherlock looking so darned ugly. Too skinny, unshaven, tattoos all hanging out, dark sunken half-in-the-bag eyes stuck in his head. He just was not attractive. He doesn't look as though he brushes his teeth. Yucko.

And lastly, they MUST stop having him do irrational stuff, like taking Joan's car and deliberately ramming the bad guy's car. Stooooopid as well. What was even more stoooooopid was her complete and total lack of emotion about it. He took her keys, ran over to her car while she just stood there like a dummy, and then she watched him total her car with no reaction to that, either. ????  What?

Weird show. I will watch again this week. Glutton for punishment here, apparently.

October 3, 2012 3:22 am  #99

ancientsgate wrote:

Smoggy_London_Air wrote:

....at least if we're going by the American interpretation of these terms (what else is left?) ....WASP is usually just a term (often derogatory) for someone who belongs to no minorities. I think it's more common in the US, being a great melange of cultures, but I'm not positive.

It probably is a US term, yes. I first heard it ages ago, maybe at least 30+ years ago. I don't know if it's still used. It never was derogatory that I know of-- just descriptive, no more derogatory than when calling some Hispanic. That was my experience with the term anyway-- inoffensive.

You've been around longer, so I'm sure you know more about the term. I'm sure it's just a regional thing (you're in an entirely different part of the country), because where I live I've heard it used only derogatorily. I've heard people say that there's dialect variation within England, but they have nothing on us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

October 3, 2012 4:43 am  #100

HAHA I love that pic Mattlocked, although this one is my fav:

I read the reviews too (LOVED the denofgeek one) and one thing has jumped to my immediate attention. This show is forgettable. I watched it ages ago (whenever I posted about it on about page 2 of this thread). Reading the reviews I had no idea what they were talking about because very little of the episode was memorable. Unlike Sherlock, where we watch each episode (including TBB) 14 million times and still find new stuff each time.

Ah well, I think the one major thing Sherlock has against it in an American setting is that they only make 3 episodes. And then only every 18 months to two years. Americans are, it seems, not very patient - particularly with their tv shows. If they were more patient, things like Firefly, Dollhouse, Dark Angel and Stargate Universe might not have been canned before they had a chance to get really going.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

Board footera