BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2012 8:12 pm  #1

Moby Dick

I suppose I will have to read the damn book now

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/David-Attenborough-Stephen-Fry-Benedict/story-16820411-detail/story.html

Last edited by hepzibah (September 4, 2012 8:16 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 4, 2012 8:22 pm  #2

Re: Moby Dick

Oh, no, I tried it once and gave up very quickly. Unconditional surrender due to insurmountable problems of understanding. But I'd give it a go if Benedict read it to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 4, 2012 8:36 pm  #3

A View to a Krill? Krill Bill?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 4, 2012 8:40 pm  #4

I had avoided it for long because "Men hunting fish" /whale sounded too much like Hemingway to me  .
It turned out to be a wonderful eccentric book. I read it three times already.
One could in quite some ways also compare the friendship Ishmael/Queequeg to Sherlock/John.

Last edited by Harriet (September 4, 2012 8:42 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 4, 2012 8:49 pm  #5

Harriet wrote:

One could in quite some ways also compare the friendship Ishmael/Queequeg to Sherlock/John.

Now that I come to think about it, I wonder if the harpoon scene is actually a hint to Moby Dick.
I thought of it right away but never realised.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 5, 2012 6:37 am  #6

I think it's from the canon but the association is nice anyway. Maybe I should give the book another try. And your address - I realised only now, that's a great one. 

Davina, what about "Dressed to Krill" or "To Krill a Mockingbird"?

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 5, 2012 7:08 am  #7

The Krilling and Born to Krill. Enough of the Krill now! Can a whale EVER have enough krill?

The harpoon thingy is from the canon The Adventure of Black Peter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 5, 2012 10:11 am  #8

Spermwhales like Moby Dick don't eat Krill. They have teeth unlike baleen whales, and eat squid.
Do your research! Read the book and you will know everything

Thanks for the hint to canon! 

Last edited by Harriet (September 5, 2012 10:31 am)

September 5, 2012 10:24 am  #9

SusiGo wrote:

And your address - I realised only now, that's a great one. 

Well, yes, I guess my furniture there will not get mistaken for rubbish, and I do have more than a housekeeper

Last edited by Harriet (September 5, 2012 10:34 am)

September 5, 2012 11:09 am  #10

But apparently krill is what Benedict is talking about. I'm not so knowledgeable about whales.

September 5, 2012 11:29 am  #11

His voice can make even krill a fascinating subject, I suppose. 

Harriet: I guess it might the second most famous address in crime fiction. And over there nobody would mistake your first editions for rubbish or give them to Oxfam. 

September 5, 2012 11:49 am  #12

Davina wrote:

But apparently krill is what Benedict is talking about. I'm not so knowledgeable about whales.

Oh, I missed that 
However, the krill chapter (#58) describes baleen whales eating krill.
And I have to admit, Melville's knowledge about whales is enormous but outdated
and it is not the best source to learn about them.

But Melville is so funny:

“Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can."

"Be it said, that though I had felt such a strong repugnance to his smoking in the bed
the night before, yet see how elastic our stiff prejudices grow when love once comes to bend them. 
For now I liked nothing better than to have Queequeg smoking by me, even in bed,
because he seemed to be full of such serene household joy then. 
I no more felt unduly concerned for the landlord's policy of insurance."

Last edited by Harriet (September 5, 2012 2:12 pm)

September 5, 2012 11:57 am  #13

SusiGo wrote:

Harriet: I guess it might the second most famous address in crime fiction. And over there nobody would mistake your first editions for rubbish or give them to Oxfam. 

LOL no!    My "housekeeper" would be even more unsettled by this thought than I'd be.

September 6, 2012 9:25 pm  #14

I saw this on Pinterest and had to post it here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

September 6, 2012 10:06 pm  #15

I had to look up the address. I've never heard of those stories.

The moby dick project is a brilliant idea. I have never really been able to do the audio book thing. I tune out lol. Might listen to the krill chapter though. And Fry's chapter too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 26, 2012 6:49 am  #16

In this RT article you'll find a clip with Benedict reading from "Moby Dick":

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-09-25/exclusive-hear-benedict-cumberbatch-read-aloud-from-moby-dick

Board footera