BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2012 9:19 pm  #141

Re: Doctor Who

The Power of Three on I-player was good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 24, 2012 2:08 am  #142

I liked The Power of Three, even though it was a little bit all-over-the-place. I liked A Town Called Mercy more

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 24, 2012 7:22 am  #143

Agreed. A Town Called Mercy had a better constructed storyline. Some parts of The Power of Three made me laugh though. I also thought the scene with Amy and The Doctor on the Embankment of the Thames at night was well done. Phew! The Doctor having two hearts came in handy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 24, 2012 7:34 pm  #144

I didn't really get why the Shakri thing was resolved so quickly..?

I love Brian! He should stay instead of the Ponds. 
How are the (grand)parents of the companions always the greatest characters? hehe

September 24, 2012 10:48 pm  #145

Power of Three was my favourite of the whole series. It actually reminded me more of the old Russell T Davies episodes, and I enjoyed all the references to previous eps - UNIT, fish fingers & custard, psychic paper.

I also feel like they're making some of the new characters resemble old favourites. Like the new head of UNIT reminded me of Harriet Jones and Brian is blatantly the new Wilfred Mott, and I love it when they set episodes on Earth.

The way they integrated real celebrity appearances was really very clever and quite funny. Top marks!

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 24, 2012 11:35 pm  #146

Ah, the Doctor is back! This episode finally had the Doctor Who-feel about it that I had missed very badly before.

The end was very rushed similar to some of the best RTD episodes though I can live with it.

*revels in Doctor-ness*

September 25, 2012 4:27 am  #147

I enjoyed it as well. I think I enjoyed A Town Called Mercy more, but that's probably because Power of Three was very rushed. I think they probably could have stretched it over 2 episodes. But it's still a great ep!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 25, 2012 6:38 am  #148

I liked "the power of three", especially the little references to DW history. Yet,IMO the story was let down massively by the "solution" at the end. I loved the build up (the boxes remaining dormant for months, people taking them home and using them as paper weights), but the ending just didn't do it justice.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 25, 2012 10:34 am  #149

The ending definitely had the feeling of being a bit rushed. I did like the part with Steven Berkoff though. Those piercing blue eyes of his which were instantly recognisable even through all that makeup. As you might guess I am a BIG fan of Mr. Berkoff.

September 25, 2012 10:53 am  #150

Actually I can't even remember the ending now! How did it end? I remember the boxes came to life and they were being controlled by some alien or other on a spaceship but how did the Doctor and co figure out how to stop them?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 25, 2012 12:11 pm  #151

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They went through the wormhole to the space-ship, worked out where the control panel was, and then re-programmed them to give defibrilation shocks to all the humans they'd just given cardiac arrest to.

Anti-climactic? Just a touch.

Last edited by Wholocked (September 25, 2012 12:12 pm)

September 25, 2012 5:48 pm  #152

You know what the Boss said about not actually remembering the ending now, well...I also could not remember clearly how it ended either. That's clearly not a strong ending then!

Last edited by Davina (September 25, 2012 5:49 pm)

September 25, 2012 10:20 pm  #153

Davina wrote:

You know what the Boss said about not actually remembering the ending now, well...I also could not remember clearly how it ended either. That's clearly not a strong ending then!

Same

I agree that Power of Three (does anyone else think the title could've been better?) should have been two episodes. I would have loved more scenes of the Doctor trying to live with Rory and Amy. It could've been so funny. But, of course, they didn't have enough time

September 26, 2012 3:17 am  #154

The Doctor (oops, THE Doctor) re-programmed the cubes to act as Defibrillator.

Don't even get me started on the statistical likelihood of surviving without brain damage.. arg..

"Time Interval and Defibrillation Success

Since the AHA Guidelines 2000 we have been taught that for every minute that passes between collapse and defibrillation, survival rates from witnessed VF sudden cardiac arrest decrease 7% to 10%. When bystander CPR is provided, the decrease in survival rates is more gradual and averages 3% to 4 % per minute." blabla

Still, this is so very much the real Doctor Who - setting the scene spectacularly but somewhat simplistic in forcing the (re-)solution.

September 28, 2012 5:06 am  #155

i think,  without knowing,  that the dr went back in time,  to  set the cubes to defib  right as after the ppl had been  in cardiac arrest.  He did it with his screwdriver.   I  LOVED  the part where The dr  tried living with Amy and Rory.  Painting those fences--  doing the soccer ball tricks  (Matt used to be a soccer/footballer before he started acting) Sitting on the couch...that was amazing.  you're right it should have been a two parter.   But  I  read somewhere that this 7th series was all about one parters.  Not too good of the stories so far--  Town Called Mercy  is still my fav ep  of the season.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 28, 2012 10:53 am  #156

The Doctor wrote:

Still, this is so very much the real Doctor Who - setting the scene spectacularly but somewhat simplistic in forcing the (re-)solution.

Beautifully put, Doctor. My thoughts exactly.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 30, 2012 10:24 am  #157

Who watched the Angels in Manhatten episode then?

September 30, 2012 8:18 pm  #158

Watched it this morning. It was amazing First time I've been scared in a Doctor Who episode since I don't know when. And...Rory and Amy...

September 30, 2012 8:41 pm  #159

I found it really scary too, again for the first time in years. Ponds!

September 30, 2012 9:29 pm  #160

I watched it with my friend last night and we screamed no end! Moffat certainly likes roofs, doesn't he?
Oh, that was so sad, especially that bit when you thought it was OK and then it wasn't and then it was and everyone was happy but then that thing happened and it was all awful!   I've only watched 5 episodes but I think this one's probably my favourite.

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

Board footera