BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2012 3:51 am  #1

Which actors best match their characters?

I have a feeling this might not be in the right place, so feel free to move this post into another forum if that's the case. Also, if this topic has already been covered, please feel free to delte or lock this thread.

I get the feeling that Benedict & Martin are playing each other on the shows, they are so different in real life. On the show, Sherlock is the outspoken/funny one & John is the more mild-mannered/serious one. In interviews, they are the complete opposite. Martin is absolutely hilarious & Benedict is more caring - he keeps giving complements to everyone else in the room like he's afraid of offending someone

So my question is, which actors (leading or supporting) best match the characters that they play (major or minor) in terms of personality or quirks (dress/speech/etc...) in real life?

September 7, 2012 1:21 pm  #2

Re: Which actors best match their characters?

It's so difficult to say without actually knowing them in real life!

Well, I guess I could offer a little something because I've had the pleasure of meeting Andrew Scott and Mark Gatiss. I must say that Andrew is such a sweet guy and more like Richard Brook or Jim from IT than the evil psychopathic Moriarty. Although it could be just a front of course. We all know Moriarty is a great actor!

And Mark was a very friendly, sweet and quite talkative guy, not really like Mycroft very much except in the way he spoke and held himself. I'm pretty sure Mycroft must be his favourite character though, as he did say his favourite canon story was the Bruce Partington Plans!

I know it's been said about Benedict in the past that he can't keep a steady girlfriend because he can't meet anyone with the same high intelligence level, which makes him sound quite Sherlocky. And I'm pretty sure I read somewhere his sister saying that he reminded her of Sherlock. There was also an interview where he said that since he'd took on the role he'd started trying to deduce people wherever he went, and then there's that really cool video on YouTube where they give him items and get him to make deductions about them to test his Sherlock Holmes skills.

So I think in many ways he is pretty similar to his character. Also from a fairly middle class family and well educated, good background, well spoken etc.

Now we come to Martin, who to me seems very much like a down to earth friendly normal sort of bloke - which is exactly what John is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 7, 2012 1:24 pm  #3

And Benedict can't keep his mouth shut in interviews and sometimes speaks very fast. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 7, 2012 1:58 pm  #4

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Well, I guess I could offer a little something because I've had the pleasure of meeting Andrew Scott and Mark Gatiss. I must say that Andrew is such a sweet guy and more like Richard Brook or Jim from IT than the evil psychopathic Moriarty. Although it could be just a front of course. We all know Moriarty is a great actor!

A) I'm incredibly jealous about this! 

B) Have you ever seen My Life in Film? A totally different side of Andrew Scott. Acting-wise, of course.

***********************************************************************************************************************
In a world of locked rooms, the man with the key is king. And honey...you should see me in a crown...

September 12, 2012 7:51 am  #5

Banbha wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

B) Have you ever seen My Life in Film? A totally different side of Andrew Scott. Acting-wise, of course.

I haven't seen it actually. When you say, a different side...does that mean he doesn't play a psychopathic consulting criminal? 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 24, 2012 1:34 am  #6

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Banbha wrote:

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

I haven't seen it actually. When you say, a different side...does that mean he doesn't play a psychopathic consulting criminal? 

I watched him in Garrow's Law. It was the first non-Sherlock role I'd seen him in so I was expecting him to be really evil.
He wasn't.

I feel as if Benedict doesn't match his role very well, not to say that he doesn't play it well. Watching him in interviews I get the impression that he's the kind of guy you'd like as your neighbor. You know the type, he takes out the trash when you're on vacation, tells you when your garage door is open, isn't creepy or overbearing. Sherlock is...not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initials SH and proud owner of a viola named Watson.

Potential flatmates should know the worst about each other.

It's a three patch problem.

I didn't know; I saw.

September 26, 2012 1:44 am  #7

Somewhere on this forum is a link to a cringe-worthy interview with Ben and couple of what look like daytime TV hosts. They pull out a bag from the Sherlock Holmes Museum and proceed to present Ben with a pipe and a deerstalker. He is so gracious about it and yet manages not to put the pipe in his mouth or the hat on his head, or telling them how truly tack they whole thing is.

Compare that to Sherlock receiving the tributes -- including the deerstalker -- at the beginning of TRF.

Board footera