BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2012 7:44 pm  #121

Re: Doctor Who

I have just watched the episode (bravely avoided reading your posts up until now), and I really liked it 
I must say I was not a huge fan of the last season, I didn't like the Silence nor the River background story. But this year looks promising, loved the "Eggs" jokes.

Just one thing I wondered... what's the story with the human Dalek clones? I thought they stopped the experiments after the disaster in New York, but now suddenly Dalek clones appear and the Doctor is not surprised in the least? Have I missed something?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

Finally, I have made it to Cipher Expert :-))))) (8.8.2012)

September 7, 2012 11:38 pm  #122

They're nanobots that convert any human--living or dead--to dalek. I think it was a security measure, or something. As to the experiments stopping, well, it's Doctor Who. Timelines almost never match up.

Last edited by Arya (September 7, 2012 11:39 pm)

September 8, 2012 12:41 am  #123

Arya wrote:

I look forward to seeing how the Ponds leave. It's Moffat's first time to write off companions, and my hope is that it'll be amazing

He said there will be tears :D (I mean... from the viewers)
So very emotional!

September 9, 2012 10:32 am  #124

Arya wrote:

They're nanobots that convert any human--living or dead--to dalek. I think it was a security measure, or something. As to the experiments stopping, well, it's Doctor Who. Timelines almost never match up.

Yes, I understand what they are. I would have just liked the Doctor to be a little more surprised at their existence, considering how fascinated he was back in New York about the concept of Daleks even having names. But I guess you are right, we don't get to see everything the Doctor sees and does, so he might have had several encounters in the meantime.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"There is no such word as 'impossible' in my dictionary. In fact, everything between 'herring' and 'marmalade' seems to be missing." Dirk Gently

September 9, 2012 6:38 pm  #125

So... what about the new episode? Hm? 
I thought Mark Williams as Rory's father was hilarious! And the robots were fantastic, hehe.
Apart from that this seemed to be one of the more... bonkers episodes. Dinosaurs.. on a spaceship! 

September 9, 2012 8:20 pm  #126

Rupert Graves was awesome!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 10, 2012 1:22 am  #127

Rupert Graves was definitely awesome. Amy being able to put some of the information she's gathered over the years to use, also awesome.

The rest of the episode had so many holes in it (both to itself, but also to the established mythos of the Doctor Who universe) as to look like Swiss Cheese which didn't have much cheese left. One of the more terrible episodes to have come about since Doctor Who re-started.

I love Moffat's Sherlock...his Doctor Who is somewhat lacking.

ETA: I know Moffat didn't write this episode, but he's the one providing the guidelines. It was written by the same guy that wrote the first Matt Smith/Ponds Silurian pair of episodes...

Last edited by Wholocked (September 10, 2012 1:22 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 10, 2012 5:33 am  #128

hypergreenfrog wrote:

I .

Just one thing I wondered... what's the story with the human Dalek clones? I thought they stopped the experiments after the disaster in New York, but now suddenly Dalek clones appear and the Doctor is not surprised in the least? Have I missed something?

Nanogenes are the things that make the icky faces inside the daleks.   What everyone has said thus far is correct--The cult of Skaro  (the dalek planet)  had a secret society  where the daleks had names. and then they made those faces, via the nanogenes and using  the humans they killed.    And remember--  the daleks always escaped, when they were confronted by the doctor.  Yeah,  and the dr always met them at different times,  NEVER  in  first-to last order.  Timey  wimey!! 

But those big BOTS  on  what's his name's ship--the one that was merged with the dinosaur ship--ohh  those looked like giant transformer  thingies---Not my fav kind of bots,  I'll say.   

Did Mark Williams look like Rory's dad?   I  don't know,  but he was great in this episode.  So was Rupert!!  I can see him guest starring again  in dr who--  I hope he does.   I  loved it when Amy  stepped in, to help him  put the dinosaurs to sleep,  after he  told the dr  it was a 2 man problem.   2 man problem?   sound familiar?   2 pipe problem?  Oh,  go to sleep already!! 

Ok,  maybe this ep wasn't a OMG type episode,  but it was nice.   Amy and Rory back together. 

If you've seen the latest YOU tube video,  (I saw it last night,  but I cannot recall the title of it sorry)  you'll see a snippet  of a scene where the doctor parks his Tardis Outside the Pond's house, but he cannot find them.  You see,  sometimes the Tardis does something that it's not supposed to do,  EVER,   and....SPOILERS!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 13, 2012 8:37 am  #129

My doctor is and will forever be David Tennant!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 13, 2012 6:23 pm  #130

Ivy wrote:

My doctor is and will forever be David Tennant!

Mine, too,  Ivy,  but give Matt Smith a chance.   He  has an attitude that is a little bit different than David's,  and....a little bit darker, too.  More of a thriller, if you get my drift.

I've been downloading dr who David Tennant books onto my cell phone.  They're from Kindle editions.  The books I have now are called  quick reads.  Print is very  easy  to read.   I've figured out how to make the comics  print  bigger, too.   squeeeee!!!  I  wish my library had them!!

Last edited by sherlockskitty (September 13, 2012 6:26 pm)

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 13, 2012 7:15 pm  #131

David Tennant will also be my Doctor forever ♥

Yes, right, forgot to mention Rupert Graves! He was great. His face when he almost fell over the T-Rex 

Wholocked wrote:

I love Moffat's Sherlock...his Doctor Who is somewhat lacking.

I kind of agree. I prefered the RTD* era. But even though it's still a great show, still better than... well, almost anything, haha.
(*=accidentally typed RDJ there, hehe)

Btw. I've also found this on tumblr, quite funny:

September 14, 2012 3:12 am  #132

oh.   so many similarities between sherlock and doctor who.  LOVE  it!!   good job on the text  in the gif files...I  still don't know how to do that.

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 14, 2012 3:45 am  #133

If the new Sherlock is written at the level of the new Doctor I will personally pay Moffat and Gatiss to see Sherlock killed.

And only Whovians will understand how much it hurts to write this.

September 14, 2012 7:08 pm  #134

The Doctor wrote:

If the new Sherlock is written at the level of the new Doctor I will personally pay Moffat and Gatiss to see Sherlock killed.

And only Whovians will understand how much it hurts to write this.

But, you know, it hasn't been like this... No matter how sceptical one can be with their Doctor who, they always did awesome on Sherlock, don't you agree?

I still have high hopes for this season, though. Old companions leaving, new companion joining the Doctor, hopefully not much of River Song...
and maybe we have not seen the last of Rupert Graves?
I loved how Ten always had his "Earth Team" (which grew with the seasons). Eleven should get himself one.

September 17, 2012 7:57 pm  #135

I've just watched dinosaurs on a spaceship and I actually quite enjoyed it. Mark Williams was great and speaking in his 'real' accent. Rupert too was quite hilarious. Entertaining fun.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 18, 2012 12:03 am  #136

Oh I really didn't like that episode. It was so full of holes. There were some good moments in it though.

I actually really enjoyed A Town Called Mercy. For the first time since Matt Smith / Steven Moffat took over, we saw the darker side of the Doctor. I like that, as it gives him depth of character. And I like that it has come up again as it shows that he's a new man but not entirely new. It felt much more like a Doctor Who episode!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 18, 2012 7:35 am  #137

Just finished watching A Town Called Mercy. I also thought this was really good. A darker Doctor and a darker plot with more challenging themes. It had better dramatic contrasts and the acting was very good throughout. Using the Western genre was a great idea, especially as so many of those films were very black and white in their good guys/bad guys and this was the opposite with shades of grey (not 50!).

The dinosaur one was silly but I tried to adopt the mind of a kid watching it and on that level it was great fun.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 18, 2012 11:44 am  #138

I agree with you both, I really enjoyed A Town Called Mercy.
As I am a huge Farscape fan (but not a SG fan at all) it was a wonderful treat to see Ben Browder again in a decent role

The story was very Toby Withhouse, wasn't it? Reminded me of Being Human a lot, especially Amy's line "we have to be better than them" was almost identical to Nina's conversation with Mitchell at the end of S2 (which, I should clarify, at least for me, was one of the best ever episode of BH).
To me, that is what makes good TV watchable... that not everything is black and white, that there is a moral dilemma that is not easily solved by "doing the right thing". Too often, TV and films show us simple, happy-ending-for-the-good-guys solutions, and justify it as "for the kids". Dr. Who has sometimes done that in the past as well, but IMO this episode got the balance right.

September 18, 2012 4:27 pm  #139

I've always loved westerns...gene autry, roy rogers,  that sort of thing.   So  it was a great idea to turn a DW  episode into one.  they filmed this ep in Spain, somewhere.  it was GREAT!!   and the Doctor chewing on that toothpick.....FUNNY!!   I  too loved this episode--  it's the best one so far in my opinion.  I  loved seeing the rage in the dr  when he found out what Jex had done. And then Amy  with that gun...now that was unexpected.  I  loved her line  "we have to be better than him"  (She was reminding the doctor of his own policy when dealing with aliens and humans).   And I loved how Jex  redeemed himself in the end, by blowing himself up.   Then  I  liked how the doctor convinced the cyborg to stay and protect the town,  because he and amy and rory had other things to do. This is one ep I'd watch over and over. 

Next episode is gonna be strange...The doctor goes to live with the Ponds  for a bit...The Ponds?  Rory's last name is Williams  ......but the doctor calls them The Ponds anyway.  And it's funny  how sometimes the doctor asks Rory  for permission to hug  Amy.   hehehehe  I  love that.  Chivalry  is NOT dead!! 

Which reminds me--  I  would LOVE  to see them going back to Queen Elizabeth the first's   time period--  then we could know what the dr did,  to make her so angry at him.   Yeah,   I've seen  all the reboot episodes!!  Here's wishing for many more  seasons!!

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

September 18, 2012 10:39 pm  #140

I loved A Town Called Mercy, even though I generally dislike westerns. I enjoyed the ethical aspects of it, and how there didn't seem to be a clean cut villain. And I may be the only person who thinks this...but I actually enjoyed how they didn't make the Doctor a complete pacifist. I thought it was a realistic way that the Doctor would hadle guns, and I always enjoy deep, complex characters.

sherlockskitty wrote:

Which reminds me--  I  would LOVE  to see them going back to Queen Elizabeth the first's   time period--  then we could know what the dr did,  to make her so angry at him.

That would be AMAZING

Board footera