BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2024 7:54 pm  #21

Re: Two exciting Andrew Scott productions to anticipate.

I can understand being overly self-critical when watching yourself on video! Very relateable! It's a shame he doesn't appreciate himself though.

August 28, 2024 2:29 pm  #22

I know what you mean. But even though I'm not an actor I agree that becoming too aware of every little thing you do or say can be unnerving. And in general, most people feel weird watching themselves. I guess it's worse if you're an actor, especially someone as well-known as Andrew, because there are recordings and images of you everywhere. At least because he avoids watching himself too much, hopefully he won't become too self-conscious of things that aren't even a problem. Unfortunately I think a lot of people become overly critical of things they deem as flaws but aren't actually something that's wrong with them.

Last edited by Yitzock (August 28, 2024 2:30 pm)

Clueing for looks.

August 29, 2024 7:37 pm  #23

Yes, I hadn't really thought about what that must be like: to have your image everywhere! Especially if you're a more famous actor. And work-wise, I suppose it also means looking back at work you might have done years ago but moved on from.

September 6, 2024 1:24 pm  #24

Yeah, those of us who don't have every bit of work recorded for posterity probably have an easier time putting certain things behind us. But I suppose on the other hand, it is nice to have a record of how you have developed over time. While I'm not a widely published writer by any means, I'm basically a nobody, I do find that when I revisit things I wrote in the past that I can have a similar cringing reaction to certain things. But I guess that's normal. Lots of people feel that way about old photos of themselves, too.

Clueing for looks.

September 6, 2024 8:45 pm  #25

Yes, that's true about old photos, although funnily enough I think I'm kinder to my younger self as I've got older and I look fondly at photos in which I thought I looked awful!  I did try to re-read my dissertation from years ago recently though, and I was cringing!

September 19, 2024 10:48 pm  #26

I have heard of that happening, too. I'm not at that stage, though, I must admit. When I look at old pictures of myself, I sometimes feel like I'm looking at someone I don't recognize. Or if it's photos I took of myself from my university days, so a bit more recent, I'll remember how I didn't like the hairstyle I had at the time. I prefer how I look now.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera