BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 16, 2022 6:00 pm  #1

Speedy's

Can't remember if I messaged about this before, or where I put it, if I did.
I was all positive then:
cafe seemed to have changed hands, still some of the same staff and all of the Sherlock photos still there..
However, I have just had a return visit,
I was surprised to see Chris, the original manager/owner there.
So when he brought my coffee, I expressed this.
It was one of those, I almost wish I hadn't asked moments.
But I did feel sorry for him.
He absolutely poured his heart out:
is desperate to sell, cannot find a buyer and is losing money.
He is working extra hours, just to try and keep his head above water...
so it seemed  a bit insensitive to ask about the memorabilia, if he does sell!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 24, 2022 9:41 pm  #2

Re: Speedy's

That's too bad that he is going through a rough time, as so many are these days. I always thought it would be fun to see the place if I ever get to visit London, but if they have to sell I guess that's the way it is. And hopefully the memorabilia will have a home no matter what.

Clueing for looks.

October 25, 2022 6:49 am  #3

Oh that's a shame.  Maybe it's a reflection of the state of the country at the moment!  And maybe it's less of a tourist attraction than it was a few years ago.  It must be so demoralising to be putting so much work on and losing money. 

April 14, 2023 2:54 pm  #4

Here I am again, with my twice yearly report:
Speedy's still there, with its memorabilia.
Continues to both attract Sherlock tourists and serve yummy food. 
Chris, the owner, seemed quite chirpy.
I said I hoped to see him again on my next London trip, in 6 months time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 14, 2023 4:22 pm  #5

That's nice to know that they have been able to continue on after that rough period.

Clueing for looks.

April 14, 2023 4:26 pm  #6

Well I expect he is still trying to sell, but plodding on.
Fairly quiet today, but the staff assured me that was because of people clearing off for the weekend.
I should really post regarding my Sherlock related theatre trips...

April 14, 2023 8:13 pm  #7

Good to hear that it's still going, although I hope the owner does manage to sell if he wants to. And good that ti's still popular.

October 15, 2023 5:53 pm  #8

Just back from my latest London trip.
Sorry, I do have issues accessing this forum on my phone!
So I had only posted an update on my other Sherlock forum.
I was a bit down, actually...
I was a tad concerned about how the other Speedy's staff were treating Chris, the owner.
It seemed the way you would deal with somebody elderly, confused, ill...you know.
My daughter says I always make up these little scenarios...
but it did cross my mind that there may be some sort of link with Chris being so concerned about not being able to find a buyer and actually, why he wanted to sell in the first place.

October 17, 2023 7:37 pm  #9

Interesting observation, besley. Sorry to hear that the owner might be in decline. Hopefully things will be able to continue on in some form, at least for a while.

Clueing for looks.

October 17, 2023 7:51 pm  #10

Hopefully I can report back in Spring.

October 18, 2023 5:55 pm  #11

Oh, I'm sorry. That doesn't sound good.  Poor guy, if that's the case. I hope things are better at your next trip.

October 18, 2023 6:36 pm  #12

I just hope I have got it terribly wrong...
maybe he was just down?

October 18, 2023 8:31 pm  #13

Yes, that's also possible, and hopefully that's all it was.

Clueing for looks.

April 14, 2024 6:31 pm  #14

Preamble!
(Gosh, can never post when I am away with just my phone then lo and behold, now I am back, had horrendous lap top issues...but I am here now! 
But seriously, anyone any advice on how to post on my phone?
I have clicked and slid everything, but I just cannot get to anywhere where I can log on? 
Shall I just ask to stay logged on, via my lap top?
Anyhow, will be an issue when I retire soon, at my  parents more, making trips to York and possibly wanting to meet up with @Liberty!)
So: just back from London.
Speedy's, plus regular staff all still there and as pleasant as usual.
Chris still behind counter, seemed to be counting money.
I sat right near the Una pics, which was just a little sad...

April 14, 2024 9:39 pm  #15

If I'm on my phone, I have three bars on the top left and if I press them I get the option to log in. But it maybe depends what browser and what phone. I struggle to do most things on my phone! I hope we do get the chance to meet up if you have some free time on one of your trips!

Nice to hear that all is OK at Speedy's. I have never been. I really should go sometime. I was in London the other day for a flying visit but busy navigating train strikes and had no time for anything other than what I was there for!

April 15, 2024 5:28 am  #16

Would you adam and eve it?
Accessed my bank account via phone...I know it's cookies that are usually the issue, there.
I thought of pressing on the 'keep me logged in' button, via this laptop...
possibly if I can get my typing to show, so that I know I am typing the right thing!
Oh and I travelled to York from Kings X on Saturday...
I mean I am home, now!
What seemed to help with the bank site this morning was trying to go in via the official link, rather than just google..of course I have gone to my phone now and I am logged in here and everything came up fine.
But once again I may have actually been able to fine the correct forum link...
so I could hope that would work in future.

EDIT: got it sussed, just have to ask my phone to open the forum in my Chrome browser!

Last edited by besleybean (April 15, 2024 6:09 pm)

April 15, 2024 6:05 pm  #17

I had an issue abroad recently with trying to access a particular credit card provider when they wouldn't accept contactless payments. I tend to use apps more and more, rather than websites. Glad you got everything sorted!

April 15, 2024 6:10 pm  #18

I know, my youngest tells me Apps are the way forward...but I keep resisting.
Mind you, had to use my bank card on London transport...
seeing as I smartly left all of my Oyster cards here in Scotland!

April 15, 2024 6:15 pm  #19

I really struggle with all the passwords and logins and so on, and the apps I can usually set to biometric login and don't have to remember. I just used contactless payment on the bus when I was in London the other day.

Oh, just adding that it's many, many years since I've been on a London bus (I usually use the underground) and now they have a display showing which stop is coming up next: it's the best thing!

Last edited by Liberty (April 15, 2024 6:17 pm)

Board footera