BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 14, 2018 5:32 pm  #1201

Re: Doctor Who

So what did you think of the latest series?  Mixed feelings here.  I like Jodie, but there's something missing, and I think that is to do with her scripts rather than her acting.   She feels very "light" after Peter, if you know what I mean, and I feel we've lost some aspects of the Doctor that made her a deeper, more nuanced character.  But then, I don't think Peter's first series was so good as the later ones either.  And I do think Jodie had some great moments.   I hate to say it, but if feels a bit dumbed down too.   I do feel Steven Moffat gave the audiences a bit more credit - I know it's kind of a children's series, but that doesn't mean everything has to be spelled out and simplified.  But I do think there were some really good episodes - sadly, not the Chris Chibnall written ones, but it may be he is fine as showrunner, if he steps back a little from the writing.  My favourite episode was "It Takes You Away".  "Witchfinders" and "Kerblam" were also very good. 

I love Graham as a companion.  The other two haven't really grabbed me.  There have been some great guest stars, but I feel underused, especially Art Malik.  However, Alan Cumming was fantastic, and I would love if King James I&VI could pop up in later episodes!  I think the episodes have looked fantastic - I don't know anything about cinematography, but they do look great! 

I was really disappointed about the series being broadcast later in the year, then changed to Sundays, and then the change from Christmas to New Year, and then finally the revelation that there won't be a series next year at all!  It's one of the very few TV programmes that I regularly watch, and I'm sad that it's being treated like this.

Last edited by Liberty (December 14, 2018 5:34 pm)

December 14, 2018 5:34 pm  #1202

I have to say, I was very surprised...
I really enjoyed it.
I did miss Steven, though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 14, 2018 6:02 pm  #1203

Definitely!  Although the consolation for me is that there were some good guest writers.  I'm delighted to see that Ed Hime has Series 12 listed on his professional page! https://www.unitedagents.co.uk/ed-hime  I'd be happy if the others come back too.  And yes, I did enjoy most of the episodes, even a couple of the not so good ones!

January 29, 2020 7:40 pm  #1204

How are we enjoying Jodie's second series?  I have watched out of order, and have still to see the Tesla one, but the most recent one was fantastic!  I absolutely loved

the alternate Doctor! 

.  I did not see that coming!  I'm also excited about the

return of the Master!

.  Great casting choices for both of those. 

This series feels a bit more Moffaty.  Maybe it's the hint of an overarching storyline. 

January 29, 2020 7:42 pm  #1205

I got the Moffat vibe, too...
I also loved the reappearance of somebody else.
The Tesla one is very like The Current War, but I loved it.
Yes, Dr Who is great!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 22, 2021 9:33 pm  #1206

Is anybody else watching the new series?   For some reason, I had quite low expectations of it, but it turns out it's fantastic!   We have a series with cliffhangers now, instead of standalone episodes and I'm finding it quite gripping. I suppose I'd forgotten how exciting is it waiting for another episode to continue the story!  Yesterday's was such good fun!  And quite scary!   I do think Jodie is being given some better lines now, and making the most of it.  It also looks amazing - I don't know if they've upped the budget on special effects?

November 22, 2021 9:50 pm  #1207

Trailer, very slightly spoilery if you don't want to know anything at all before watching!  It shows some returning monsters!

November 23, 2021 6:31 am  #1208

Yes, I always watch and indeed enjoy.
I am a bit of a fake Whovian to be honest.
I have watched the show for all of my life.
But I don't always get it!

November 23, 2021 7:30 pm  #1209

Me too, Besleybean! I think particularly the Moffat storylines got very complicated at times.  And I always forget what happens week to week, never mind season to season!  I would love to get involved in all the discussion and speculation on other forums but it's beyond me!  So I'm being a bit more challenged by having on six episode series rather than one-off, ha ha! However, as light entertainment to enjoy without thinking too much, this is really coming up trumps. 

I'm really intrigued to know what is actually going on. 

Just a shame it's only six episodes!  I was looking back at the earlier runs because I was sure I remembered we used to have storylines with cliffhangers like this, and yes, we did, but we had several a year!  We used to have it weekly for half the year - now it looks like just 6 episodes and a Christmas special.  We didn't know we had it so good!

November 23, 2021 7:32 pm  #1210

I have to say that the Moffat/Matt Smith days have the happiest memories...just cos of the Sherlock associations, with Mark often being involved too.
And Whovians have always had so much more than we ever got with Sherlock!

Last edited by besleybean (November 23, 2021 7:34 pm)

May 8, 2022 2:09 pm  #1211

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/08/doctor-who-ncuti-gatwa-to-replace-jodie-whittaker-bbc-announces
New Doctor Who announced!  And it's yet another Scot!  I was slightly hoping for an older Doctor but Ncuti is great: will be interesting now it's Russell T Davies' show again! 

May 8, 2022 2:11 pm  #1212

I know nothng about the guy, but good to hear that he is another Scot!

May 8, 2022 2:41 pm  #1213

I've seen him in Sex Education and everybody in that is really good to be honest: I think Asa Butterfield was suggested for the Doctor at one point. 

So funny, Matt Smith must be the only Southerner since Peter Davison in the early 80s!  I think all the rest are Scottish or Northern (had to check a couple I wasn't sure about - and I suppose John Hurt is a bit of a mix, and I haven't counted Jo Martin)!

December 3, 2023 1:32 pm  #1214

I'm really loving these special episodes!  Just fantastic! Exciting, funny and a bit scary!

December 3, 2023 1:51 pm  #1215

Glad you're enjoying them.
Really wasn't sure what to think last night.
I actually found some of it a bit tedious.

December 3, 2023 3:03 pm  #1216

Oh did you? That's interesting. I'm waiting to get my son's opinion, although we don't always align.  I really liked the nightmarish/horror feel. I probably laughed more and enjoyed the story more last week, but really liked the feel of this one. And I seem to be a fan of enclosed settings with only one or two actors!

December 11, 2023 3:37 pm  #1217

I have seen a bit on Tumblr from one of the new ones, but I didn't realize there were multiple specials. I feel so out of the loop, but I'm intrigued by the bits and pieces I've seen so hopefully I'll get a chance to check them out eventually. I think it's cool David Tennant is back. He's always enjoyable to watch.

Last edited by Yitzock (December 11, 2023 3:41 pm)

Clueing for looks.

December 11, 2023 4:42 pm  #1218

Now I enjoyed Saturday night's much more.
Neil Patrick Harris was amazing!

March 26, 2024 3:34 pm  #1219

This year, it looks like Doctor Who is releasing at midnight internationally. There's a bit of a hooha in the UK about people getting spoilers: I kind of agree. It would be nice if we all got it at the same time! And midnight for a family programme isn't a good time anywhere! So I'm expecting maybe some spoilers. I've noticed this happening with music releases too ... or maybe it always happened with music and I didn't notice, having been previously used to physical CDs which don't have a particular time they're available!

It also is the same day as the Eurovision final, so the BBC are doing something called Who-rovision (not Whorovision as I originally thought, which might have been problematic!): I don't know what's involved with that. I think it's all going to be too much excitement for me! Especially as I'll be travelling that day too.

Today 3:37 pm  #1220

I can definitely see how that term could be misread (oh boy). I wonder what that will be. Will we get to hear the Doctor sing? I guess we'll find out closer to the actual date.

I think a lot of streaming series are released at midnight on the date they are set to premiere in whatever country you are in because that's the date that it starts. Though, come to think of it, I remember a show I was following on a weekly release on Netflix last year would have episode become available at 4pm in my timezone, so maybe that's not the only way of doing it. But maybe Disney+ does the midnight thing.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera