BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 9, 2019 8:22 am  #1

The Power of the Dog

Benedict Cumberbatch and Elisabeth Moss will star in Jane Campion’s new film, “The Power of the Dog,” an adaptation of the Thomas Savage novel.

Campion will direct from a script she adapted, with See-Saw Films’ in-house sales arm, Cross City Films, launching sales at this month’s Cannes Film Festival. The movie will go into pre-production at the end of the year.

“‘The Power of the Dog’ is a sublime novel that deserves a life on the big screen. I couldn’t stop thinking about the story, it really haunted me. The themes of masculinity, nostalgia and betrayal are an intoxicating mix,” Campion said. “It’s also rare to find a story where the themes, the plot and the characters build tension as they reveal each other and even the end is satisfying and unexpected. It will be the first time I’ve worked with a male lead, which is exciting. Phil is a charismatic and complex character who declares war on his brother’s new wife and her teenage son.”

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/benedict-cumberbatch-elisabeth-moss-jane-campion-power-of-the-dog-1203205974/

Last edited by diva (May 10, 2019 12:11 pm)

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

May 9, 2019 10:11 am  #2

Re: The Power of the Dog

I haven't read the book, but this looks really interesting.  I've enjoyed what I've seen of Jane Campion's work.  I'm even one of the select few who really liked In The Cut!  And Benedict's part sounds really intriguing - I bet he'll be great!  Looking forward to this!

May 10, 2019 9:34 am  #3

Yes, it sounds very exciting and I am sure he will pull off this character brilliantly. I will read the novel soon. And I like Campions's work as well. I just bought the first series of "Top of the Lake" which sounds very interesting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 19, 2019 11:31 am  #4

Wow, just finished the book which is quite brilliant but also disturbing. Especially where Benedict's character is concerned. This will not be easy to watch but a part he can really delve into. I think it is unlike anything he has done before so just what he loves to do.  

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2021 9:16 am  #5

Wow, so much amazing news about the film. It will be presented at no less than 6 major festivals. It will be opening feature in Venice and at London Film Festival. I am just re-reading the book and it is so, so good. 

August 27, 2021 9:05 pm  #6

I had forgotten about this.  Thank you for the reminder.

August 27, 2021 9:20 pm  #7

I've seen it mentioned recently in the press, but only as part of a larger article that also discussed other films. But I'm always looking out for news about Benedict's films!

Clueing for looks.

August 28, 2021 5:20 am  #8

Yes I didn't watch the trailer, but apparently it is a amazing.
Looking forward to the film.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 2, 2021 9:56 pm  #9

I just realized the other day that it's one of two films of Benedict's that is playing at TIFF this year, and he's going to be here in Toronto...but I have a feeling that because of COVID protocols that this year's red carpets are only open to journalists. I might check just in case, because I'd love to see him in person and get a photo (even if it's from far away - I saw Eddie Redmayne from far away at the festival on the red carpet for The Aeronauts back in 2019 and I cherish those photos even if they aren't very good).

Clueing for looks.

November 20, 2021 6:41 am  #10

Well, I saw it last night...
wasn't really what I expected, though that is not necesarily  bad thing!
A dark, broodin gfilm that left me contemplating.
Beautifully shot, with excellent performances.
I guess it's about dysfunctional people and their damaged lives...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 30, 2021 8:57 pm  #11

I am very excited for the film and happy that it will be on Netflix as of tomorrow. Going to the cinema feels too dangerous at the moment. 

December 1, 2021 7:11 am  #12

Can't wait to hear what you think.
A challenging film.
I might get around to seeing it agin on Netflix,
but the big screen did the vistas a great favour.

December 2, 2021 9:08 pm  #13

I've watched it on Netflix and thought it was fantastic!  I see what you mean about the big screen, Besleybean.  It did look stunning even on a little one, but so many long shots of scenery that would have worked so well on a bigger one!  It was quite slow, but gripping, always ominous (the music helped), with the feeling throughout that you're going to see somebody do something awful!  I really enjoyed all the foreshadowing and symbolism.  Benedict was great, of course, and fantastic performances all round really.  Worth the Netflix sub! 

I have similar worries about going to the cinema, Susi.  I did go recently and wore a reusuable FFP2 mask throughout, but it was a bit nervewracking that people sat so close and hardly anyone was wearing a face covering.  And coughing in the cinema is now more unnerving than it used to be!   We've only just had masks come back in for shops and public transport but sadly not for cinemas!

Last edited by Liberty (December 2, 2021 9:08 pm)

December 3, 2021 8:13 am  #14

Defo appreciated the second view on Netflix, for all of the foreshadowing!
However, I do feel they cut at least one line...but maybe that was my false memory.
Soundtrack is amazing.
I don't want to get into any kind of flame war, but I do despair in these pandemic times.
Homestly, do what you need to protect yourself.
But please: do not waste your life in a state of perpetual fear.
Get out and live.
Having said that,
I only attend one small cinema, where there are usually very few people and of course in Scotland masks never stopped being compulsory.

Last edited by besleybean (December 3, 2021 2:09 pm)

December 3, 2021 5:52 pm  #15

I understand what you're saying, but I don't see it as perpetual fear any more, just making appropriate risk assessments!  I'm very vulnerable, unfortunately, and I am at fairly high risk in my day to day work, so try to keep it a bit safer in my free time.    I've seen the effects of worsening of my conditions and it's really just not worth it.  I think about one in 60 people are infected in the UK at the moment, so the chances of coming across it are pretty high!  I would feel much more confident if other people were wearing masks, but when I went I think it was only our party who were wearing them.  Very different to the spring when we were all distanced and had to wear masks throughout the showing!  And much lower cases back in those halcyon days! 

I would love to know what line was cut for the Neflix version, if you don't mind sharing! 

Sounds like it's good to have a second watch.  I'm going to put some comments in spoilers.

Yes, the foreshadowing!  With the beginning comments, I did think that we were going to see Peter do something terrible, possibly even murder somebody, with the comments about protecting his mum.  I was so convinced by the vivisection and the parallel with cow carcass earlier that it was going to be something rather gory and surgical - it turned out not in the end - more medical than surgical!   And I had my doubts as the film went on, wondering if he was developing a genuine relationship with Phil (and maybe he was, in a way) and bonding over their grief and loss, and that I'd got the wrong end of the stick, despite all the hints (e.g. about Peter's father saying he was, I can't remember, cold? Too strong?).  

I can't remember how Phil got the hand injury which was key to the outcome.  How did that happen?

Lots of symbolism and parallels that I still have to get my head around:
- the vivisection and the butchering of the cows
- the castration, and possibly all the other stuff about homophobia
- Peter's surgical gloves (when handling the rope!) and Rose's gloves when she gave away the hides
- the rope that Phil was making and the rope that Peter's father hung himself by
- the hides, and the poisoned hide
- the grief of the different characters
And I'm sure much more.

I loved the characters!  Peter developing and playing the long game with his plan - I did not guess what his plan was, but it fitted so well with everything else, but I felt the actor really showed the character growing and becoming more confident and determined in what he'd set out to do. 

Benedict's portrayal was amazing.  What an unpleasant guy, but so compelling and sympathetic as well.  I loved his voice.  And that walk!

Jesse Plemon and Kirsten Dunst were great too.

The story really reminded me of Ruth Rendell's psychological thrillers - it made me think of one where you know who the murderer is at the beginning but have to read on to find out who the victim was!.

I kept hearing that Benedict prepared for the role by not washing! 

Last edited by Liberty (December 3, 2021 5:54 pm)

December 3, 2021 6:40 pm  #16

Initially an apology, I was not aware of your health problems.
Obvioulsy for anybody with underlying issues, I well understand the need for caution.
But for the majority, I m more concerned about the damaging psychological effect of permanent pandemic...
Anyhow:
Certainly true on th not washing part and also refusing to speak to Kirsten.
I am going to PM you about the potential cut line, you know I am useless with spolier boxes etc.
Incidentally, you had picked up on so much more than me...
I might discuss a few things in my PM.

Last edited by besleybean (December 3, 2021 6:41 pm)

December 3, 2021 8:03 pm  #17

No need to apologise!  You weren't to know, and I think even most people who know me forget anyway, because I don't have anything obvious. 

Good to get the truth on the washing and not speaking stories! 

Thanks for your PM!  I love films like this that really get you thinking!

December 3, 2021 8:07 pm  #18

I think that's what I most liked about this, too...
boy does it give a lot of food for thought.
I felt the same about August Osage Country, too.

December 17, 2021 2:26 pm  #19

I watched the film three times so far and keep discovering new things. I think it is a masterpiece in so many respects: acting, writing, cinematography, music, set design, just everything. I am very much in favour of the changes they made to the novel, leaving out much of the Gordons's story because it would have been too much for one film. 
And do not get me started on the actors, what a beautiful talented ensemble cast. Of course Benedict is close to my heart and I wish him all the awards but they are all perfect in their own right. 
A dark story indeed but it did not depress me because it is such an amazing film. 

P.S. I would be interested in the cut line as well.

Last edited by SusiGo (December 17, 2021 2:27 pm)

December 17, 2021 6:05 pm  #20

Please excuse my ignorance...Gordon?!

Board footera