BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 12, 2021 2:50 pm  #1

Sad news about Una

I've just heard that our lovely Una Stubbs died at home yesterday.  Very sad news indeed, especially for those close to her. I was hoping she had many years left.  For my generation she was an iconic figure of our younger years in so many roles.  She will be very fondly remembered.

August 12, 2021 4:33 pm  #2

Re: Sad news about Una

Absolutely gutted about Una, thanks for letting me know...
Hell I was feeling bad enough anyway...I had a distressed mother on the phone:
My sister's housemate(and ex partner) has breast cancer.
Apparently my sister is in pieces, going to phone after.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 12, 2021 5:04 pm  #3

Oh, that's awful.  I really hope there's a good outcome in the end, but always a difficult process even so, and must be a big shock for your sister hearing that news.  It seems to be a time for bad news.   I know it's silly but I feel so many of us lost so much during the pandemic, that it doesn't seem fair that things like cancer still go on. 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/aug/12/actor-una-stubbs-dies-aged-84
A lovely tribute from Mark on twitter. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58190446
And from Steven on Instagram.

August 12, 2021 6:13 pm  #4

Sorry to hear that, besleybean!  Hopefully, the doctors caught it in time.

And I'm definitely sorry to hear about the death of Una Stubbs.  Her death is officially the death knell of any chance that Moffat and Gatiss might have ever produced another season or special.  That can't be done now, not without Mrs. Hudson; they've waited too long.  And no one else can take over the role on that series.  If Moffat and Gatiss haven't yet done so, they will have to announce its cancellation.

Last edited by kgreen20 (August 12, 2021 6:14 pm)

August 13, 2021 5:55 am  #5

Wow, Una even got Pul Weller tributing her, I assume she met him through joint friend Martin(who I imagine is gutted.).
Yes, I know Paul was in Sherlock...but he's a fave for me! So royalty for Una. x
Anyhow, mixed news from yesterday:
Sis explained that she had phoned Mum straight away, so they were obviously still in shock.
She had calmed down by the time I spoke to her and yes the three of them together(dunno if I have previoulsy mentioned my sister's bizarre domestic arrangements, but anyway...)are holding fast.
Just waiting the next appointment and to hear whether it will be lump extraction or full masectomy and chem/radiotherapy etc.
However, my sister had previously told Mum to let me know that our mutual friend also has breast cancer and of course Mum had forgotten...sis has suggested I send a card/note.
Our pal is very private and also it's difficult to say things by WharsApp ...our usual communication method.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 14, 2021 2:28 pm  #6

I'm sorry about your friend.  I would find that very difficult, communicating on Whatsapp about something so serious.  Mind you I find cards difficult too.  I seem to have been sending a lot of them recently, sadly.  (Well, not all sadly, the most recent was for a new baby!).  But I think any acknowledgement is better than none, if she is happy with people knowing.  I'm sorry you have all this going on.

Rewatching Sherlock is always going to be tinged with sadness now, whenever Una makes an appearance.  I

August 15, 2021 5:56 am  #7

A couple of things...
yeah I walked the dog around to the post box, to mail the card/note yesterday.
Walking back I did wonder...what did I actually say?  I am not sure I can even properly remember.
She is an old friend and originally one of my closest.
But once I had introduced her to my sister, I suppose with them both being gay...maybe it was natural that there became more of a connection there, I don't know.
Two things are certain: she is very private. But she had specifically said to my sister that she didn't mind me knowing and hell my hubby and I shared some incredibly personal stuff...which I can't even recall if my sister knows.
Anyhow, said friend also has the reputation of being an awkward sod.
I laid awake this morning thinking about it and thought, well, I'm 60 next year and quite frankly I am beyond folk being stroppy- so we will see.
Of course normally we would have all met up at my parents, this Summer...but my poor sis didn't even manage to coordinate with me this time.

On Una and Sherlock:
there had been some anger expressed on Twitter, over people immediately referring to S5 and I suppose as John and Sherlock might exchange:"Timing".
"Not good".
" A bit not good."

But I have been thinking about it.
I think this is the ideal opportunity to plan a special and it wouldn't even matter if it took 5 or 10 years or whatever.
The opening scene could be either by Mrs Hudson's grave, or them all being back at 221B afterwards.

Anyhow, at the end of the episode, the credits should read something like:
In memory of Una Stubbs(dates)
Our Mrs Hudson(2010-7)...and always.

August 15, 2021 3:50 pm  #8

I think it's nice of you to send a card even if you're not sure how it will be received.  It's so difficult to know what to say.  I go back and forth over these things and then am never happy with what I've written.  What can anyone say, though?  It's absolutely rubbish news however you spin it, but I think nice for your friend to know you care and are thinking of her.

It does remind me that I should get in touch with old friends.   We are at that age now when things often start to go wrong.  For some it already has.

A tribute special would be lovely and touching. 

August 16, 2021 1:51 pm  #9

I only just found out about Una's passing this morning when I saw her obituary in the newspaper. It's funny, just a few days ago I was wondering if she was still acting or if her health had declined. Well, now I know she's not acting anymore for sure...
I agree, I think a tribute in a new episode some time down the line could be nice, if they had a chance to do it. 
I'm sorry about your news, besley, though I can understand why you might be having a lot of different thoughts and feeling several different ways.  Hopefully your card will be warmly received. I can realte to what Liberty is saying about never feeling one has written the right thing in a card. I always feel that way, or my mind goes blank and I struggle to find the words. 
I hope things will not go too badly for her. I've dealt with cancer in my family more than once. My mum has had cancer for several years now and it's not always easy but we keep carrying on and do what we can when we can. I hope your sister and housemates will be able to support each other and weather things as best they can, and that you will be able to do so as well, whatever that will entail.

Last edited by Yitzock (August 16, 2021 1:52 pm)

Clueing for looks.

August 17, 2021 5:52 am  #10

Cheers Yitzock.

August 19, 2021 6:44 pm  #11

Sorry to remain off topic, but just to say that I received a lovely Whats app message from my pal., who says she will phone me soon.

August 25, 2021 9:13 am  #12

I am glad to hear about the message, besley. 

And I was very sad to hear about Una's death but I think she had a long and fulfilled life. I read she died surrounded by her family. And of course she never will be forgotten as our Mrs Hudson. 

I also wondered how Benedict must feel about her death since he knew her as a boy and she was a friend of his mum. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 25, 2021 4:16 pm  #13

Many cast and crew made lovely tributes.

August 27, 2021 9:04 pm  #14

I'm glad you heard from your pal, Besleybean. I hope things go as well as they can for her and for your sister's housemate/ex.

November 4, 2021 8:41 pm  #15

And now her dance partner has gone, too.
Breaking news that dancer Lionel Blair has just died.
He often danced with Una.

November 5, 2021 5:34 pm  #16

I used to watch them on Give Us A Clue together.  Sad that he has gone too.

November 5, 2021 5:34 pm  #17

Loved that show!

Board footera