BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2021 9:36 am  #1

Dr Who specs.

I was just about to put this on Facebook and I thought no, go to the Sherlock forums first!
The Whovians are asking who would be our fave female/male lead choices to replace Jodie.
I have never thought of it before, but I think Amanda would make a fab doctor.

Last edited by besleybean (July 30, 2021 5:37 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 30, 2021 5:32 pm  #2

Re: Dr Who specs.

Oh, she would!  I think she could put across the intelligence and the hint of something slighty dangerous and sinister in the background, as well as the fun side. And what about Andrew?  Or Sian?

Michaela Cole has been mentioned, but she's such a blast of creative energy that I think she might feel a bit constrained in the role, although she would be wonderful! 

July 30, 2021 5:34 pm  #3

Ashamed to say I don't know who Michaela is...
I love Andrew and he's brilliant, but possibly a little too well known?

EDIT: and apologies, corrected the just noticed typo in my title!

Last edited by besleybean (July 30, 2021 5:38 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 31, 2021 7:02 am  #4

Yes, I think you're right about Andrew, and I don't know if he'd want to do it, whereas Amanda possibly might.  I also see Andrew more as the Master but I don't know if that's because I'm thinking of him as Moriarty!  Peter Capaldi was very well known before he was cast, but then he was major Doctor Who fan, whereas Andrew's the wrong generation. 

Michaela Cole did I May Destroy You which is maybe one of the best and most original bits of TV I've seen in ages (but divisive! Not everybody I know liked it!).  She's quite a powerful presence and I can see her as a highly intelligent, funny, slightly unsettling Doctor! 

I think Chris Chibnall is leaving as well, so we really don't know what sort of Doctor we're going to get and what direction they'll go in. 

But anyway, you've now got me thinking of all of the cast being in Doctor Who, whether as the Doctor or other parts!  Mark is obvious, as a fan and writer, but has already been in it (not that it stopped Peter Capaldi!).  I could see him as the Master.  Una maybe as a companion?  Or Yasmin?  Lindsay Duncan as the Doctor?   Maybe Bertie Carvell from The Blind Banker?  I do like the idea of Amanda, though.

July 31, 2021 8:58 am  #5

Yes, Chris is leaving too, that kind of made me remember when Steven departed...
I was really sad then, though I know he is a divisive writer, too!
But I have also enjoyed Chris' work.
I do think it's a good move in the Who universe: new doctor= new writer/producer.
Actually, now you meantion Bertie: I love him and he would be a great doctor!

August 11, 2021 4:13 pm  #6

I keep forgetting that they are already getting a new actor to play the Doctor. I know it's probably just that I've lost track of time, but it feels like it wasn't that long ago that Jodie started playing the role! But maybe that's because I've only seen a couple of her episodes and have done a terrible job of keeping up\!
Michaela Cole would be an interesting choice, since she's been involved in a few notable recent series. I haven't seen I May Destroy You yet but I've wanted to watch it since it came out. 
As with the last couple of Doctors, though, I feel like they are going to end up picking someone we haven't thought of ourselves. Or at least not anyone I would have thought of.

Last edited by Yitzock (August 11, 2021 4:14 pm)

Clueing for looks.

August 11, 2021 8:36 pm  #7

Yes, you're probably right. Matt Smith wasn't well known at all when he was cast, and that worked very well. 

I agree it doesn't seem that long since Jodie was cast!  I think it's because we're all getting older - some more than others! 

Board footera