BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2021 4:55 am  #1

Mark Gatiss in The Father

Saw this film last night.
I had no idea Mark was in it, so an added bonus for me.
My pal knew I was a fan and that I would be pleased.
He was great.
Excellent film and good performances all round.
Quite harrowing, but I am glad I have seen it.
I bet the play was amazing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 23, 2021 4:04 pm  #2

Re: Mark Gatiss in The Father

I forgot to post about this film when I saw it a couple of months ago! I'm glad you brought it up! I think I might have read Mark was in it when I read a review of the film, but then completely forgot until I saw the film. I thought he was very good, though the character he plays for much of the film is not sympathetic at all.
I thought the way the film portrayed what it's like to be a person with dementia was great. As someone who has gone through a relative's decline because of Alzheimer's more than once (which is ongoing), I recognized a lot of what can happen, though I still enjoyed the story. I thought that it did a good job of portraying the struggles for a family member who's trying to do their best to take care of someone while also feeling like they're falling short. My mum in particular knows that feeling. But I also liked that the film showed that there is a comic absurdity that can arise when someone with dementia says things about their past that are just plain impossible or untrue, or just don't make sense but are quite funny. I remember once my grandmother watching television and then telling us later that the host of the show (who has been dead for many years, it was a rerun) had spoken directly to her! 

Last edited by Yitzock (June 23, 2021 4:05 pm)

Clueing for looks.

June 27, 2021 9:06 pm  #3

Re: Mark Gatiss in The Father

Yes, this film is on my watch list as well. Not an easy one but is sounds very impressive. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera