BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 16, 2012 5:02 pm  #1

London trip 2013

Hey everyone 

Me and a friend are having a girls weekend in London next year, probably March. Can anyone recommend a hotel? We prefer a little one or a bed and breakfast. We actually have one, but cannot be sure it's free at that time. So I'd like some alternatives.

Thanks in advance 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

September 16, 2012 5:25 pm  #2

Re: London trip 2013

I don't have any recommendations, but I could need some in future. So when there are answers, we should fix this thread on top of the forum, so everybody finds it easily. 

Yesterday my niece had her 18th birthday and as a present she got a trip to London and a visit at the Harry Potter Studios. In former times I would have been SO jeallous because of the studios - now I am just because of the trip to London.
I repeat what I said during the olympics: Who needs a ticket for HP (or the olympics) when he can go to London? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

September 16, 2012 5:45 pm  #3

Yes, March is a very good month for a London visit. (Frankly - ANY month is perfect! )
I'll be going in March as well. Nothing fixed so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 16, 2012 6:22 pm  #4

Although this is not a Sherlock trip, we were planning it before I even knew Sherlock existed, we definitely will visit North Gower Street and maybe have a look at St Barts, too. I heard "Speedys" is always crowded now, so I guess we just take a picture and giggle a bit and that's it.

----------

September 16, 2012 6:25 pm  #5

Ivy wrote:

Although this is not a Sherlock trip, we were planning it before I even knew Sherlock existed, we definitely will visit North Gower Street and maybe have a look at St Barts, too. I heard "Speedys" is always crowded now, so I guess we just take a picture and giggle a bit and that's it.

Whenever I was at Speedy's there was no crowd. I always had a cuppa outside beneath that famous door or inside.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

September 16, 2012 8:54 pm  #6

tobeornot221b wrote:

Ivy wrote:

Whenever I was at Speedy's there was no crowd. I always had a cuppa outside beneath that famous door or inside.

Oh, good to know.

----------

September 16, 2012 9:16 pm  #7

Do you know roughly what area(s) of London you want to stay in?

You could also visit some other places in London which are featured in both series. The Tower of London, The Bank of England, Battersea Power Station, The London Eye, New Scotland Yard, Picadilly Circus, China Town but maybe give Pentonville Prison a miss.

Travel on The Tube like Sherlock but I wouldn't recommend carrying a harpoon!

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 16, 2012 9:33 pm  #8

Davina wrote:

Do you know roughly what area(s) of London you want to stay in?

You could also visit some other places in London which are featured in both series. The Tower of London, The Bank of England, Battersea Power Station, The London Eye, New Scotland Yard, Picadilly Circus, China Town but maybe give Pentonville Prison a miss.

Travel on The Tube like Sherlock but I wouldn't recommend carrying a harpoon!

That's not important, it depends on the price and there should be is a tube station nearby. Our first choice hotel is near Hanger Lane on the Central Line.

We roughly know what we'd like to see, but since "Sherlock" we'll make some time for North Gower Street and St Barts 

The harpoon would be a problem, we like harpooning in foreign countries so much 

----------

September 17, 2012 7:23 am  #9

Hanger Lane would be quite convenient. My only reservation about it is that you have the Hanger Lane Gyratory System (a massive road interconnection, which is incredibly busy and noisy) right near you.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

September 17, 2012 1:31 pm  #10

Davina wrote:

Hanger Lane would be quite convenient. My only reservation about it is that you have the Hanger Lane Gyratory System (a massive road interconnection, which is incredibly busy and noisy) right near you.

My friend stayed there once and the rooms go to the back, therefore it's very quiet.

I can post it here if someone is interested: http://www.foxandgoosehotel.co.uk/

----------

September 17, 2012 2:13 pm  #11

I've been to London last week and of course I went to North Gower Street to have a cup of tea at Speedy's (which was not crowded at all) - it was so great and I was really excited to be so close to Sherlock  .

If you are looking for a nice place to stay during your trip - Sherlock's "apartment" in 187 North Gower Street is for rent!! 
I was really surprised when I saw the advertisement on the apartment's window - for one second I had the imagination of me living there (I have to say, I'm from Vienna and was not really thinking of moving to London - until that  )...

Now seriously, you said, you want to stay in a little B&B, but if you don't mind staying in a hostel either, I can really recommend "Astor Victoria". It's close to Victoria train and subway station and only a 15 minutes walk to Buckingham Palace. The rooms are small but clean, the staff was really friendly and helpful und breakfast was simple but fine anyway... (and it's close to Irene Adler's residence as well )

September 17, 2012 2:40 pm  #12

carrot wrote:

I've been to London last week and of course I went to North Gower Street to have a cup of tea at Speedy's (which was not crowded at all) - it was so great and I was really excited to be so close to Sherlock  .

If you are looking for a nice place to stay during your trip - Sherlock's "apartment" in 187 North Gower Street is for rent!! 
I was really surprised when I saw the advertisement on the apartment's window - for one second I had the imagination of me living there (I have to say, I'm from Vienna and was not really thinking of moving to London - until that  )...

Now seriously, you said, you want to stay in a little B&B, but if you don't mind staying in a hostel either, I can really recommend "Astor Victoria". It's close to Victoria train and subway station and only a 15 minutes walk to Buckingham Palace. The rooms are small but clean, the staff was really friendly and helpful und breakfast was simple but fine anyway... (and it's close to Irene Adler's residence as well )

O.K. if it's not crowed we'll definitely have a coffee or tea there.

It's for rent, I think it can be quite stressful if there are constantly people who take pictures of your house. You cannot ran around naked in your own flat.

Thanks for the tip, but hostels aren't our thing. I think we are too old for that. O.K. I never was a hostel fan even with 15.

----------

September 17, 2012 2:52 pm  #13

Ivy wrote:

O.K. if it's not crowed we'll definitely have a coffee or tea there.

It's for rent, I think it can be quite stressful if there are constantly people who take pictures of your house. You cannot ran around naked in your own flat.

Thanks for the tip, but hostels aren't our thing. I think we are too old for that. O.K. I never was a hostel fan even with 15.

I agree, but when I was there, I only saw two other girls taking pictures of the house. But on the other hand, the biggest hype might be over (for now ). Anyway, don't miss it, I really enjoyed it!

Yeah, hostels can be...quite exhausting, a little hotel will definitely be more relaxing  . I envy you! I want to go back! London is such a nice city... Hope you'll have a great trip!

September 17, 2012 3:25 pm  #14

If your friend has stayed there and it's not noisy from the North Circular then it is not a long journey to get into town, so a good bet.

September 17, 2012 6:45 pm  #15

Davina wrote:

If your friend has stayed there and it's not noisy from the North Circular then it is not a long journey to get into town, so a good bet.

She said around 8-10 minute walk to tube station Hanger Lane. It's a pretty good choice, but like I said we'd like some alternatives.

----------

September 17, 2012 6:59 pm  #16

I'll see what I can find out for you.

You could try:

www.visitlondon.com

You can then search for B&B hotels to suit your wishes. This is an official site.

Last edited by Davina (September 17, 2012 7:03 pm)

October 7, 2012 6:42 pm  #17

So everything is booked for March, we now have a hotel near Paddington Station/Hyde Park.

Regarding Sherlock the plan is to visit N.Gower Street and St Barts.

Last edited by Ivy (October 7, 2012 7:57 pm)

----------

October 7, 2012 7:22 pm  #18

As for Bart's: The hospital site is huge!
If you want to be there:

...head for the "You are here" spot. (And stay exactly where you are... )

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

October 7, 2012 7:56 pm  #19

LOL, thank you. But I'm already fully informed where exactly we have to go and how to get there. That was the first thing I looked up.

We're thinking about bringing red colour with us for a remake.

Last edited by Ivy (October 7, 2012 8:02 pm)

----------

October 7, 2012 8:04 pm  #20

You could simply use wax. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

Board footera