BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 21, 2015 7:12 pm  #1

The Knowledge -cabbie training

Here is a link to a very, very interesting article on The Knowledge.
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/london-taxi-test-knowledge/?_r=1

I don't know if people can take undertake the training to become a London cabbie and not actually become one (if anyone could, it'd be someone with connections inside the British government, i.e. Sherlock through Mycroft, however minor his position is...).
Sherlock might have thought it interesting to know every street of London to pass the time, to avoid boredom, or because it might come in handy in his line of work (or during his addict period, to avoid/escape the police...?).

What do you people think?

Last edited by Lilythiell (March 23, 2015 12:10 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 24, 2015 11:24 am  #2

Re: The Knowledge -cabbie training

What I read of the article was interesting, although it was very long and I didn't have time to read it all thanks for posting the link.

I remember seeing the cabbies-in-training while I was living in London: riding around on their motorbikes or scooters with their maps on clipboards, learning their way around that magnificent city.

I think it is very useful to Sherlock to know London inside out. I think he would have taken it as a challenge to learn it so thoroughly, but I don't think he would need to take the London cab driver training to do it. I'm sure anyone can study maps and memorise them if they put their mind to it, and Sherlock is a genius after all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 24, 2015 1:34 pm  #3

I cannot really imagine Sherlock cruising round London with a motorbike and a map. I would assume he just strolled the streets, and studied some additional maps at home. As a hobby.

I tried to learn some streets while I was in London (and after). But it's quite a labyrinth. But I find it relaxing to sit down and study my A-Z just for the fun of it. So why not Sherlock ;-)
The tricky part is not to only know the streets via map, but to have a connection to the actual sights and streetviews. But there's always a google maps or the like...

Last edited by Whisky (March 24, 2015 1:35 pm)

"It is what it is."

March 25, 2015 4:56 pm  #4

You might find the thread from 3 years ago interesting http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1099

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2015 5:46 pm  #5

Oh, thanks Davina  I hadn't seen this thread.
On reflection, I agree with ukaunz in not thinking that Sherlock had registered to take up The Knowledge. I've tried imagining cruising the streets of London on a moped with a map and...no. I do stand by the idea Sherlock would have thought it interesting enough to chase off boredom (and useful, if considering his past), though.

On a side note, that's something I feel I'd be useless about, considering I can't read a map without losing myself -little to no sense of direction...*buried under the weight of my shame*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 1, 2021 11:02 pm  #6

What bird dog training book is best? I know this is a hard question to answer, so maybe just list one that you think is really good- and why.
Hope you all are having a marvolous monday 
               Mary

Board footera