BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2020 6:24 am  #41

Re: Analysis Mycroft

The Holmes boys are both arrogant, because they know they are superior to the goldfish!
But I do think for both of them, it's a bit of a mask too.
Sherlock has been damaged, but doesn't realise it, until the very end...
Again, I think one of the other beautiful aspects of TFP( and why this isn't everybody's fave episode, I will never know)...is Sherlock's sudden realisation of everything Mycroft has not only done for the family, but carried that burden alone.
This after Sherlock has just virtually thrown Mycroft over and replaced him with John, as a brother...
I think Sherlock also sees Mycroft's vulnerability, when before he thought of him as indestructible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 24, 2020 6:02 pm  #42

Agree!  I think this is maybe the defining episode for Mycroft lovers.  He ends up being so easy to empathise with - even more so than Sherlock or John.  Which is not something that you would have expected in the beginning, at all!   It does show how Sherlock has had a bit of a blind spot with Mycroft, sometimes he views him as an annoying authority figure, sometimes as a rival, more rarely as an collaborator, but he never seems able to really put himself in Mycroft's position. 

Always a pleasure to talk to somebody else who loves the episode - so many people don't! 

November 24, 2020 6:05 pm  #43

Although to be shallow for a moment...
it's partly because of Moriarty.
Andrew Scott rocks this episode!
But I do generally love the Eurus character, and would have loved to have seen more of her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 28, 2020 10:33 pm  #44

I remember really enjoying TFP and being surprised by some of the negative reaction to it (though, of course, everyone likes different things and the different episodes in the series do have a different feel from some of the others, even if there is an overall guiding theme and character to them all). I think we got good moments for all the characters in it (that I'm remembering), but you're right that it does reveal Mycroft as a character carrying quite a bit of a burden for the sake of the rest of the family. 
I think it would be nice to see more of Eurus, too. I know that as time passes, any more episodes become less and less of a possibility, but I think if they ever did more, then there would be some interesting stuff to explore with her character. One of the unfortunate things about the show being over for now.

Clueing for looks.

November 29, 2020 6:47 am  #45

Sorry, I am not meaning to be antagonistic: 
but I purely felt the bad reaction to TFP was that it wasn't Johnlock enough...the usual reaction.
In fact more than that, it's part  of the modern trend of fans telling writer show to write their shows.
You know my response: stop moaning and write your own damn show!

November 29, 2020 11:02 pm  #46

I get what you mean. I'm sure it's tough to write for a popular show where certain fans have different hopes and expectations than others (though I don't know how much the writers actually pay attention to that stuff). 

Clueing for looks.

November 30, 2020 6:31 am  #47

(initially apologies for taking us off topic!)
Oh I don't think they take any notice at all.
It appears their attempts were slightly hampered this time, by possibly squeezing two episodes into one...
as the show rather  hurriedly came to an end.
This was good news for Dracula fans,
but a bit of a sudden bereavement for the Sherlock fandom!

November 30, 2020 7:28 pm  #48

I wonder if it was worth it?  Dracula isn't quite as memorable or as successful as Sherlock.  But I can understand that the temptation to do it must have been great!  And maybe it was right to finish off Sherlock (while leaving it open).  I like that we got an ending.

November 30, 2020 7:41 pm  #49

Me, too...
but remain greedy for more!

December 7, 2020 3:38 pm  #50

Yes, I liked that it felt like a decent, proper ending, while also implying that the story could continue.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera