BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 19, 2017 12:24 am  #301

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

Someone who lived a long life, for a change: I saw on the news while I was having my dinner that Chuck Berry is dead.  Another rock legend that we've lost.  I cam to the realization when I saw this story that this is one (of the likely many things) that will define my life - the death of rock legends.  All the musicians that my parents grew up listening to, that were young when they were young, will be dying out during my lifetime because they are all of a certain age.  Sorry for that dark thought, but it was something that crossed my mind.

Clueing for looks.

March 19, 2017 8:17 am  #302

Sorry if I offend, but a bit of context.
Yes, Chuck Berry was a rock legend and he inspired many greats.
But he was also a jailed paedophile and there were many sexual allegations against him.
For me this taints the memory of the musical achievements.
On a personal level, I gather he was a nightmare to work with and apparently was particularly horrible to my hero Keith Richards, so I can't forgive him on that one!
I know it's supposed to be wrong to speak ill of the dead, but I also don't like people been given unwarranted sainthood.
He was what he was.
He also lived to a good age, unlike many others.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 19, 2017 1:16 pm  #303

No, I'm not offended.  I didn't know about his criminal record until I was reading about his death yesterday, but I agree with your stance on that.  It wasn't so much that I was really feeling sad, it was more that I was thinking about how for once I'm not hearing about someone who has died in their sixties, and it also just started a thought process that culminated in "All the people who are significant figures in rock history will be dying out, if they haven't already died, during my lifetime." I don't know how if I'll ever be able to not find Roll Over Beethoven or Johnny B Goode catchy, but I do agree that knowing about the things he did that were bad does change my feelings.

Last edited by Yitzock (March 19, 2017 1:18 pm)

Clueing for looks.

January 16, 2018 8:13 am  #304

Shocked and heartbroken at the news about Dolores O´Riordan today....
I loved that beautiful voice.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 16, 2018 5:21 pm  #305

I know, just awful.
Love The Cranberries.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2018 9:49 am  #306

nakahara wrote:

Shocked and heartbroken at the news about Dolores O´Riordan today....
I loved that beautiful voice.

Yes, her voice was really special.
Was it suicide? Anything known yet?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 17, 2018 4:31 pm  #307

I just did a quick search and it doesn't look like they know for sure yet, just that it it's "not suspicious."

Clueing for looks.

January 17, 2018 5:15 pm  #308

I don't know the details.
But it reminded me of my own loss last Summer. 

June 26, 2020 6:16 am  #309

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 4, 2020 3:06 pm  #310

Nice story.

Clueing for looks.

July 4, 2020 4:34 pm  #311

November 8, 2020 10:37 pm  #312

I'm so sad today. I might be alone in this one, since I have no idea if anybody in the UK or the rest of Europe watches or knows about the TV quiz show Jeopardy!. But the host of the show was a man born in Canada called Alex Trebek and we found out today that he's died.. He was the host of the show since the 80s and was loved by everyone. He was very nice, sometimes funny, and throughout his life donated to many causes that were important to him. He was just all around a really comforting presence. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a year or two ago, so we knew his time was limited, but he worked so hard and always seemed in fairly good shape. It was really a surprise, even though maybe it shouldn't have been, that he's gone. I know the show will still be made, but I'm sad.

Clueing for looks.

November 9, 2020 6:20 am  #313

I saw the presenter and show names trending on Twitter, but they didn't mean much to me.
I am aware of the show, but not sure if it airs here.
Anyway, sorry for your loss.

Board footera