BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 22, 2020 12:58 am  #1

British army bases

I have a question for those of you who are British.  From 2006 through 2009, in addition to Camp Bastion, what British army bases were stationed in the Helmand Province, and which of those bases had their own field hospitals?  I've tried to find out what I want to know by looking it up on the Internet, but without much success.  (I need to know this for a fanfiction story I'm in the process of developing.  Thanks!)

August 30, 2020 10:36 pm  #2

Re: British army bases

Well, I guess the BBC Sherlock Fan Forum is officially dead; it may as well be taken down.  There was a time when I could have posted a question like the one above and gotten a quick answer, but those days, it seems, are over.

Last edited by kgreen20 (August 30, 2020 10:41 pm)

August 31, 2020 5:23 am  #3

I still look in here and am British...
But I am afraid I have no knowledge of or actually any interest in the army!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 31, 2020 7:01 am  #4

Same here!  I'm British, but completely ignorant!  I would have to google it and wouldn't get any better information than you have already.  This website gives a little history of Camp Bastion https://www.nam.ac.uk/explore/camp-bastion-hospital and says

"Outside of Camp Bastion, individual medics were regularly deployed with British Army units. By 2007, the guerrilla nature of encounters with the Taliban meant that Forward Operating Bases (FOBs) needed to be established in hostile zones.Medical troops worked at these bases and also accompanied British soldiers when they were drawn into heavy firefights in towns like Musa Qala and Sangin. Other medics worked at regional medical centres such as the one at Lashkar Gah, treating both soldiers and Afghan civilians."

so I would guess there were no other field hospitals in the region, and medics outside of Camp Bastion were at medical centres or FOBs?

August 31, 2020 4:27 pm  #5

The question kgreen was asking seems like fairly specialized military knowledge. I'm impressed you were able to find what you did.

Clueing for looks.

September 3, 2020 2:07 am  #6

Well, at least you tried!  Thanks.  I have a reason for asking: I'm plotting out a post-TFP fanfiction story that will include information about John's past, including his military past.  I want him to be at Camp Bastion for starters, then Camp Dwyer in Kandahar, and then another British base when they return to Helmand.  To that end, I need to know if there was any other place in Helmand besides Camp Bastion where the Fusiliers could have been stationed, including John and Bill Murray.

Last edited by kgreen20 (September 3, 2020 2:09 am)

September 4, 2020 6:20 pm  #7

I had a feeling you were researching for writing! I hope you find the information you need for that.

Clueing for looks.

September 9, 2020 6:31 pm  #8

Thanks.  I do, too!

Board footera