BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2020 2:25 am  #1

John and Sherlock's wristwatches

I should like to know what brands they were.  To my knowledge, Sherlock wore the same watch until the end of the TV series, and it was doubtless a very expensive brand, but John wore 2 watches in the course of the show: the first one, from the first season through the 3rd season, and the second watch during the fourth.  I read that the first watch was a knock-off (a cheap imitation of a watch brand) that he purchased in Afghanistan; what I'd like to know is what the brand is, that the watch is an imitation of?  And what is the second watch's brand?  Another knock-off, or a cheap brand such as one would buy at Wal-Mart here in America?

As for Sherlock--well, suffice it to say that his is no knock-off! =)  Nor would it have been bought at Great Britain's version of a Wal-Mart.  Without a doubt, it was quite expensive.  I should like to know what brand that watch was, too.

September 3, 2020 12:05 pm  #2

Re: John and Sherlock's wristwatches

Apparently John wears a Tag Heuer Monaco (or something that looks like that) originally.  Not sure about S4.  Sherlock's is a Rotary GS02424/21.  (I know nothing about watches!  Just from what I found out on the interweb and may not be accurate!).  So John's is the more expensive one - although as you say, probably a knock-off?

Oh, apparently Walter White from Breaking Bad also wore a Tag Heuer Monaco.  I wouldn't have know the difference but all this watch business has got me wanting a new watch.  Thank you for the interesting line of enquiry!

Last edited by Liberty (September 3, 2020 12:08 pm)

September 3, 2020 10:55 pm  #3

Not the more expensive one, since it's a cheap imitation he bought in Afghanistan.  Sherlock's, on the other hand, is!  Thanks for the info!  Unless more reliable information comes our way telling us otherwise, we'll just have to assume that what you found on the Internet is correct.

Hey, if you buy yourself a new expensive watch, can I have one, too? =) 

Last edited by kgreen20 (September 3, 2020 10:56 pm)

September 4, 2020 10:01 am  #4

Kind of funny if the watch Martin is wearing is actually an original masquerading as a cheap knock-off! 

Update!  I've found Sherlockology in the Wayback Machine, and it has links to the two watches (not the S4 one).  http://web.archive.org/web/20180808105816/http://www.sherlockology.com/wardrobe

Last edited by Liberty (September 4, 2020 10:10 am)

Board footera