BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 17, 2020 5:08 pm  #1

Enola Holmes

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/enola-holmes-trailer-release-date-netflix/

Just noticed this upcoming film on Netflix, apparently based on young adult books about Sherlock's 14 year old sister.   I haven't read them, but this could be fun! 

August 21, 2020 5:50 pm  #2

Re: Enola Holmes

Looks like it could be fun. She seems to have a playful personality. And I think I spotted Fiona Shaw!

Clueing for looks.

August 23, 2020 7:31 am  #3

Hopefully a sign of quality!

August 29, 2020 12:47 pm  #4

I really like the trailer. And the estate's complaint is quite ridiculous in my opinion. I will I will be able to watch it soon. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2020 2:29 pm  #5

Doyle's estate? What was their problem? 
I believe Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain, anyway, so anyone can create whatever they want related to it and what they have to say doesn't hold much sway.

Last edited by Yitzock (August 31, 2020 2:30 pm)

Clueing for looks.

August 31, 2020 10:10 pm  #6

Yitzock wrote:

Doyle's estate? What was their problem? 
I believe Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain, anyway, so anyone can create whatever they want related to it and what they have to say doesn't hold much sway.

It’s more complicated. The evolution of the character of Sherlock began after 1st WW and those novels are not in public domain yet. The empathy, being more human that they show in the movie don’t fit with the cold genius he was before and Doyle’s estate wants money obviously.
I hope you understand what I mean, not easy to explain in english.

September 2, 2020 4:42 pm  #7

I decided to do a Google search. There are some stories that aren't in the public domain yet, as you mentioned. While I kind of get the argument, that the version of the character would have been the one that appeared in the later stories, at the same time you can't prove that any version of the character is not also based on earlier versions that are in the public domain. If it's all the same character in the end, where do you draw the line?  
In some time, it won't be an issue, at least.

Clueing for looks.

September 2, 2020 10:04 pm  #8

Yes, it’s quite ridiculous imo but I think it’s all about money.
We’ll see what they call "new Sherlock" with sentiments.
Even if we know he always had but tried to hide them because, as Mycroft said, "Caring is not an advantage"

September 4, 2020 6:11 pm  #9

Yeah, I guess it would have to do with money. The estate is made up of Doyle's descendents and their spouses, so I can understand if they would want to benefit while they still can from something based on his creations. But at the same time, I also think that every time someone creates something, even if it's based on someone else, it's their own unique thing.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera