BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 25, 2020 1:32 pm  #241

Re: What are you listening to?

No, I haven't watched it yet, but I saw that Pierce Brosnan is in it and the movie looks like silly fun! I probably will watch it eventually. I watched the movie Game Night last year and Rachel McAdams is funny in that, so I'm sure she's good in the Eurovision movie, too. I've read that lot of people think Iceland would have won this year, so it's funny that the movie also is about Iceland at Eurovision.

Daði Freyr has actually covered a couple of songs from the movie and there's also a video where he talks about what the lyrics in the song in Icelandic mean.

Clueing for looks.

August 25, 2020 5:48 pm  #242

Oh, I will look up his covers of the songs!   Yes, Rachel McAdams is really good!  Dan Stevens is standout!  I really enjoyed it, it's also "wholesome", and the music is pretty good.  I think that most people who like Eurovision would like it, especially the cameos from previous contestants.  Just a lovely upbeat treat in the middle of the pandemic. 

Edited because I had to go and look up one of my favourite Eurovision songs, so this is what I'm listening to now.  Still so good!  (Not the Eurovision performance, but I really love this later one).

Last edited by Liberty (August 25, 2020 5:55 pm)

August 25, 2020 8:55 pm  #243

Pretty good song and good voice! Definitely a power ballad! Her costume is cool, too. And the audience is definitely into the song!

Clueing for looks.

August 26, 2020 4:44 pm  #244

It used to my favourite gym workout song - really uplifting and motivating! 

June 27, 2021 9:00 am  #245

With the pandemic, concerts, sports, travel, and bars/restaurants have been severely curtailed so a lot of people stay home and watch TV series to counter the boredom.

I've watched a disproportionate number, lately. I'm kind of running out of the very good ones. I've seen here the odd thread with one reply or none, talking about this or that TV series.

I wonder if we start a thread for everybody to recommend his/her preferred TV series, we'd get some traction and would get to know some good ones we haven't watched already.

Just to get it started, some good ones I've liked a lot:

Killing Eve - Extremely compelling main character, a sexy and funny female professional assassin, being chased by a conflicted female FBI agent, and they get attracted to each other, generating all sorts of wild situations. Well written, great dialogue, action, suspense, intrigue, great acting, this series has it all, especially the first season which was written by the brilliant Phoebe Waller-Bridge - the subsequent seasons aren't half-bad either but maybe a bit less brilliant than the first one.

Fleabag - Talking about Phoebe Waller-Bridge, this is pure genius and one of the best TV series I've ever seen in my life, a full-blown masterpiece that will make you laugh AND cry. Simply amazing, with one of the best writing in history, and the brilliant director and writer is also the main actress and she does a great job at all three tasks. It starts pretty outrageous and comedic but by the end of the first season a huge twist gives it a much deeper and darker tone but it remains funny although it's bitter-sweet. This can't be missed, and its impressive number of awards is well-deserved. My admiration for this one is unrestrained.

The Expanse - One of the best sci-fi series since great iconic classics like Battlestar Galactica. It's very realistic, great special effects, interesting and complex characters plus a lot of politics, which is unusual for a sci-fi series and is very well done, lots of suspense and action, and it is very faithfully based on a great series of space-opera books.

Bodyguard - Edge-of-the-seat suspense. This has an intensity rarely seen on TV. It's very nerve-wrecking, extremely well-acted, the equivalent of a great page-turner because it's almost unbearable to wait for the continuation.

Anyway, there is more, but let me stop and hear from you all. What are your favorites, and why?

June 27, 2021 9:03 pm  #246

Thank you for your recommendations. I will think of some of my own. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2021 4:12 pm  #247

I tried watching Fleabag and it wasn't my cup of tea (though ti's very popular and has won awards, so maybe I'm in the minority), I didn't make it to Andrew Scott's episodes. Though the clips I've seen of him in the show made me chuckle.
I've seen all of Killing Eve and I generally really like it, though there were some weak points in the most recent season I think (though I liked how it ended and I still liked it overall).

Clueing for looks.

Board footera