BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 21, 2020 1:28 am  #1

Benedict Cumberbatch -- Behind-the-Scenes of The Hobbit: Desolation...

An oldie, but goodie! =)

Benedict Cumberbatch -- Behind-the-Scenes of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

January 21, 2020 6:18 am  #2

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch -- Behind-the-Scenes of The Hobbit: Desolation...

Love this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2020 6:38 pm  #3

How cute is the casting photo at approx 1.22? .  Love the audition. 

It also reminds me that I pronounced Smaug "Smog" for half a century!!

January 21, 2020 6:40 pm  #4

I've always puzzled over how to pronounce it...
It's 'Smorg', isn't it?
Or hang on 'Smowg'?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 21, 2020 7:14 pm  #5

I think it's Smowg (the "ow" as in "crowd")!  At least, that's how they pronounce it in the video, and I think I only realised when the films came out.  I was rhyming it with "dog".  For all those years!

January 22, 2020 3:03 am  #6

That might be the way the British, and the New Zealanders, pronounce the name, as opposed to Americans.

Last edited by kgreen20 (January 22, 2020 3:04 am)

January 22, 2020 8:31 am  #7

Looks like it's a lot of English as first language speakers https://www.arrantpedantry.com/2013/12/20/the-pronunciation-of-smaug/ .  So not just me!   Apparently, it should probably be pronounced with the "ow" sound as that's how it would be pronounced in Elvish (according to to Tolkien) and most words follow Elvish pronounciation, and also becuase the root word is Old German.   A bit of googling found that there has been quite some debate (with Smay-ug being another proposed pronunciation!).

It's nice to hear Martin say "We all thought it was Smog"!

Anyway, I've learned something new.  Or possibly something I already knew but had forgotten.  I'm never sure these days. 

January 22, 2020 5:51 pm  #8

I confess SMOG was one option I never even considered!

February 9, 2020 3:11 am  #9

Well, hey, that's how we Americans pronounce the "au" diphthong! =)

February 9, 2020 4:21 pm  #10

Apparently not only Americans, since Martin et. al. all thought it was "Smog." I remember when I attempted to read the book in high school (never finished) that I also assumed it was "Smog."

Clueing for looks.

February 24, 2020 2:34 am  #11

Whereas, the New Zealanders (and I'm guessing the British?) pronounce it as "Smowg"! =)

You know, I think that someone really ought to write a Sherlock/Hobbit crossover in which Sherlock and John get sent to Middle-earth!  It would be most amusing to watch Sherlock attempt to take on Smaug, to see him deduce that dragon. LOL! =)

February 24, 2020 7:18 am  #12

I'm British, and it was "smog" for me, I think until the film came out!   I think it was read to me as a child, so I blame my parents!

The crossover sounds fun ...would love to see Benedict playing opposite Benedict!

February 25, 2020 3:28 pm  #13

Considering how many other words have "au" pronounced like an "o" (though there are regional differences for whom the evolution of various long vowels did not change, or didn't change in the same way), it's understandable!

Clueing for looks.

February 27, 2020 8:57 pm  #14

Liberty wrote:

I'm British, and it was "smog" for me, I think until the film came out!   I think it was read to me as a child, so I blame my parents!

The crossover sounds fun ...would love to see Benedict playing opposite Benedict!

Yeah, no kidding! =)  And Martin Freeman playing alongside Martin Freeman. <g>

Board footera