BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 5, 2019 3:48 pm  #81

Re: Questions about the English language

Yes, there are! Roticity is one interesting example of how accents and pronunciations can vary. I remember once seeing a video where someone from the UK answered the question, presumably sent in by an American, of why they didn't pronounce the "R" at the ends of words, and they didn't think of it as not pronouncing it.
The "wh" thing is interesting. I've noticed that certain American accents pronounce the "H" right after the "W" in "white," but I've always thought of it as a silent "H," everyone I know pronounces it more like "wite."
I think with the "mc" or "mac" thing, I would naturally clip the vowel.
And I just remembered another name - Graham. Some people pronounce it more like "gram" and others like "grame." I get that when it's a person's name, it's more likely to be the latter, but I feel that when I was introduced to graham crackers, it was the former, but my mum says the latter.

Clueing for looks.

November 5, 2019 4:48 pm  #82

On the latter point.
Might be because of the different spellings.
Graeme, Graham and there is a 'Gram'.
I always used to pronounce 'Graeme' as 'greamy'!
I prefer 'Graham'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 7, 2019 3:01 pm  #83

Oh yeah, I forgot about the spelling "Graeme."

Clueing for looks.

November 8, 2019 8:10 am  #84

I  would say Graham as two syllables, but with the last syllable being very short.  I could see how that could eventually become just one syllable.  Funny about "Greamy", Besley!   Did you read voraciously as a kid?  I think those of us who did are usually fairly good spellers, but sometimes have more mispronounciations, because we grew up seeing the words before we heard them!

November 8, 2019 4:30 pm  #85

Interesting theory!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2019 7:21 pm  #86

That's true, Liberty! One of my friends (who read a lot, as I did), for a long time thought "choir" was pronounced like "chore" because the latter was something she had heard before, but not "choir."

Clueing for looks.

November 9, 2019 7:21 pm  #87

Phonics help!

Board footera