BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 21, 2019 12:04 pm  #1141

Re: Cumberspotting - most recent photos

Benedict joined Extinction Rebellion at Trafalgar Square:

Apparently, he had a bit of spare time between new SUV advertisements here and there.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 21, 2019 4:35 pm  #1142

Two very contrasting images!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 21, 2019 6:22 pm  #1143

Oh gosh, I bet he's going to get flack for supporting XR while advertising cars!  The Daily Mail, Piers Morgan, etc., tend to jump on him for anything like that! 

(I'm just glad that public figures like him are supporting the cause).

October 21, 2019 6:31 pm  #1144

I am with you on this...
Benedict has already been hammered:
he was spotted parking his flash MG down a little street, near the protest.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 22, 2019 3:54 pm  #1145

Hmm...well, we don't know if he had to drive far, and as a celebrity he probably felt safer travelling in a car, even if it meant producing some emissions. All people are contradictory or hypocritical in some way, so I don't hold that against him. Glad he supported the cause for the environment, as other celebrities have been doing (like Jane Fonda). I hope things will actually get a lot better soon. This problem weighs on my mind a lot, especially since we just had a federal election in Canada.

Clueing for looks.

October 22, 2019 3:57 pm  #1146

Today I watched a video of Benedict speaking on the subject, which to me explained the situation better.
Reardless, usually when he flies...it's for work and not holiday jollies.
If I can both find and post the link to the interview, I will...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-0P-k1oP4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-0P-k1oP4

Last edited by besleybean (October 22, 2019 4:01 pm)

October 23, 2019 10:03 am  #1147

Yes, yes, I´m sure he only accepted fat pay checks from the automobile industry in order to undermine it.

As for the "climate emergency", I´d rather listen to the voices of scientists than celebrities:

https://clintel.nl/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ecd-letter-to-un.pdf

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 23, 2019 3:12 pm  #1148

Difficult subject but the first MG he promoted was a hybrid car and the new one is fully electric. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 23, 2019 4:36 pm  #1149

I only realised that when I saw the car ads and recognised the hybrid as the one Benedict advertises...and I hope DRIVES!

EDIT: actually, I think it's even the electric one...

Last edited by besleybean (October 23, 2019 4:38 pm)

October 23, 2019 4:56 pm  #1150

I feel the truth is that scientists listen to other scientists, and most of the rest of us tend to get our information in a more digestible form!  (I believe the scientific consensus at the moment is that we are seeing escalating climate change caused by human activity).  I think people do pay some attention to celebrities, and so celebrities lending their face to worthy causes can be helpful!  I'm just thinking - if it wasn't effective, then why would advertisers pay celebrities so much to promote their products? 

Last edited by Liberty (October 23, 2019 4:59 pm)

November 7, 2019 9:27 am  #1151

I am not arguing with you and I don´t mind at all. If XR will continue to employ people who preach their cause but don´t live it, they hurt their own cause in the long run. That´s all right with me.

Anyway, Benedict answered some questions at Buzzfeed nowadays - while playing with some cute puppies too. I like his image there - nice curls again!

November 7, 2019 12:53 pm  #1152

Absolutely sweet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

November 7, 2019 3:02 pm  #1153

This was a fun interview, although he compltely ignored one of the questions about Sherlock!

Last edited by Yitzock (November 7, 2019 3:03 pm)

Clueing for looks.

November 8, 2019 6:50 am  #1154

He must get so sick of being asked that and really, what is he supposed to say?!

November 9, 2019 7:19 pm  #1155

I guess, but at the same time, it wasn't a question asking "Will there be a series 5?" or "When is series 5?" but more a curiosity question, "What would you like to see happen to your character?" It seems like a more interesting question than the others that are heard a lot more often.

Clueing for looks.

November 9, 2019 7:22 pm  #1156

Possibly he's currently in the head of another character.

November 10, 2019 4:22 pm  #1157

Yes, that could be. I hadn't thought of that. And I guess there's also the possibility he just didn't have an answer. But I would have been interested in anything he would have had to say on the subject.

Clueing for looks.

November 10, 2019 4:23 pm  #1158

Of course, me too.
But obviously at this moment in time, he has nothing to say on the subject.

November 15, 2019 5:57 pm  #1159

Oh, I'm actually relieved that there are others having mixed emotions toward the GM case.
Because to me personally, and also for many ppl at least in Germany, SUVs became a symbol of what's going wrong here when it comes to climate change prevention, especially if you keep in mind that the sales increased by 20% in the last year. To me it's irrelevant if it's a hybrid or elecro, those cars are just too big, too heavy and too powerful to be anywhere near to environment friendly.
It's actually the first time that I have a problem with what he's doing.

November 19, 2019 1:13 pm  #1160

Benedict attended the Creative Time Gala 2019 (taking place in New York City) in October.
He looked just... wrooawww!

Board footera