BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2017 9:32 pm  #1

Besleybean's re-watching of the whole show with pointers to S 4.

At least I can say it was an absolute joy to rewatch this episode.
It really is good.
CAM claims he has "an excellent memory."Sherlock's memories eventually haunt him in TFP.
CAM is a blackmailer. Eurus uses emotional blackmail as her M.O.
CAM says he owns people. Eurus re-programmes people.
Here we see Billy caring for a house of smack heads.  In TLD, he cares for Sherlock in his flat.
In this episode John just restrains Billy, whereas Sherlock gets a good kicking in TLD.
John checks on Sherlock's drug taking here and in TLD.
Molly hits Sherlock here, at least she just shouts at him in TLD!
Billy and Sherlock deduce John is addicted to action.
Here Sherlock is advertising his drug habit, just like in TLD.
Mycroft makes the first mention of Uncle Rudy. He appears large in TFP!
Here Mycroft has to tell the parents of Sherlock's drug habit...wait til  they re-meet their daughter in TFP!
John and Sherlock laugh at Mycroft's threat here, which is unlike Sherlock's declaration of " John stays!" in TFP.
Sherlock attacks Mycroft here.  In TFP, he is prepared to kill himself to save Mycroft.
Here John and Sherlock kick Mycroft out of the flat. in TFP they terrorise him in his own home!
CAM is presented as a shark, which links straight to TST.
CAM utters the name 'Redbeard' and Sherlock visibly reacts. We get the truth in TFP.
CAM's secure office reminded me of Sherrinford.
Sherlock nicks the key card, a bit like when he acquires the one at Sherrinford.
Here John mentions Sherlock's head being kicked in...he actually does it in TLD.
In this episode CAM begs for his life, in TFP, David begs to be shot.
We also have the first view of Mary in her 'assassin' gear. We get her in full combat in TST.
Sherlock asks to help Mary, as he does in TST.
Mary shoots Sherlock here. She takes a bullet for him in TST.
Sherlock envisages Mycroft seeing him as a little boy, calls him stupid and says Mummy and Daddy are very cross with him. We get the truth in TFP.
Sherlock here images Redbeard as a dog...
Mycroft warns Sherlock that the East wind is coming to get him. She goes for it in TFP.
Sherlock 'remembers' Redbeard being 'put down'.
Moriarty's little song reminded me of the Eurus song in TFP.
In this episode Sherlock manages to bring himself back from the brink, in TLD, he needs John to save him.
Here John doesn't want to answer his phone: he knows it's Sherlock and he knows what he's going to say. In TST, he's happy to answer his phone to 'E'.
We get some of Mary's history...we get it all in TST.
Sherlock again offers to help Mary...she needs it in TST.
Mary explains how she'd do anything to protect John form the truth...it comes to bite her in TST.
Mummy says she will become a monster if she learns who shot her boy.  Just wait til she re-meets her daughter in TFP!
Daddy say Mummy gave up her work for children...we learn in S 4 that is for all 3 children.
John asks if everyone he's ever met is a psycho...well he's met  1 or 2 and will meet another in S 4.
Mary gets put in the client chair here.  In TFP it's Mycroft.
We have our 1st sight of the AGRA data stick. We get to know there are more, in TST.
John burns the stick.  He hasn't read it..Wonder if he regrets this by TST?
We learn that John won't get to choose the baby's name...we learn the name in TST.
"Your loss would break my heart" says Mycroft. He has already lost one sibling, as we learn in S 4.
Sherlock monitors his morphine here. In TLD, Smith messes with his levels.
Here Sherlock gives CAM Mycroft for Xmas.  In TFP, we learn that Mycroft gave Eurus Moriarty for Christmas.
Sherlock and John take off in a helicopter here, just as they arrive by helicopter at the boat in TFP.
We learn just how powerful Mycroft is in this episode...he tries to take control of the asylum in TFP. But I wonder if CAM knows abut Eurus: he only lists Sherlock as Mycroft''s pressure point.
We see a clown figure in the vaults, as we do in TFP!
CAM reveals a bit more about Mary and then even more , all of which comes to fruition in TST.
Here we see the true end of CAM: before they doctor the film footage in TST.
Mycroft saves Sherlock's life and Sherlock returns the favour in TFP.
Sherlock tells John that Mary is safe now...little does he know what will happen in TST.
Mycroft does see Sherlock as a child..is he pondering the past?
Mycroft mentions " the other one", in terms of 'brotherly compassion'.
Sherlock is to fly away...Eurus crash lands in TFP.
Sherlock tells John the story of the East wind, little does he know she will be after him in TFP.
Jim appears on screen at the end, he appears on screen many times in TFP.
John says Moriarty is dead, but if he isn't he'd better watch out, as the East wind is coming.  Little does John know that the East wind is pally with Moriarty- as we see in TFP.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 4, 2017 6:32 am  #2

Re: Besleybean's re-watching of the whole show with pointers to S 4.

Thanks for this, BB.  I suppose this is the episode which ties into S4 the most, so there are going to be lots of connections.  Interesting point about John maybe regretting burning the AGRA stick.   I was a little frustrated with him in TST for getting angry at Mary for lying to him, when she had given him the information but he'd chosen to destroy it.  I suppose there was a little bit of left-over anger from the initial deception. 

Also, Mycroft seeing Sherlock as a child: I was just thinking that he doesn't see him as the six year old in TFP, when he was traumatised, but older.  I suppose, by the time Sherlock was Louis Moffat's age, Mycroft would have been just about grown-up, and maybe would have felt more adult responsibility for him. 

August 4, 2017 7:14 am  #3

You always get to the pertinent points Liberty, I like that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 4, 2017 7:29 am  #4

Well, your posts always get me thinking!  Thanks for listing all the connections. I think I would have missed a lot of those. 

The other thing I was thinking about was Mycroft mentioning "the other one".  Obviously certain people knew about Eurus because Mycroft was using her for the government.  They were also involved in keeping her secret from Sherlock.  It just seems that a lot of people around Sherlock did have an idea about Eurus - Mycroft and the parents, obviously, but possibly Magnussen ("Redbeard"), and Lady Smallwood when she went to him with her case.  Obviously Moriarty too, although he's just in the mind palace in this episode.

August 4, 2017 7:30 am  #5

That reminds me of everyone knowing the Reichenbach scheme except John!

August 4, 2017 7:50 am  #6

Yes!  And I suppose in HLV there's also Mary, Magnussen and Mycroft (and perhaps Lady Smallwood?) knowing who Mary is, while John and Sherlock are in the dark. 

August 4, 2017 9:01 am  #7

Th Secret scheme, the wife with a secret past and the secret sister...what tangled webs.

August 5, 2017 1:28 am  #8

No kidding!

August 13, 2019 1:48 pm  #9

Just thought I would stick this in here!
Last night I completed a whole re-watch of the show again.
Meant to say about HLV;
Have we had a discussion about what comes up on CAM's 'reading' of Sherlock?
I'd forgotten he actually says 'Redbeard'.
But when I remembered to try and read the info myself...I thought I saw the word 'fire'.

August 14, 2019 7:16 am  #10

My user picture here is the moment when Sherlock hears Magnussen say "Redbeard"!  Interesting to go back and explore that now that we know more.  My memory is so bad these days.  I know we talked a lot about how Magnussen had that information.  Possibly that Mycroft gave it to Moriarty, who then gave to Magnussen?  I wonder if Magnussen got some of it from the press as well - there must have been some coverage of the missing child, although the name "Redbeard" is more personal.   Anyway, it seems to be similar to Mycroft testing Sherlock with trigger words to see if he remembers. 

I'm not seeing "fire".  Could it be "see file"?

Last edited by Liberty (August 14, 2019 7:17 am)

August 14, 2019 4:24 pm  #11

Yep, my other forum have suggested the same!

August 18, 2019 6:21 pm  #12

I think you are right about Redbeard being more personal. Magnussen would have to know more than the general public (which fits his situation), who would probably only have heard the name Victor Trevor, if anything, if there was news coverage.
Sherlock must have really suppressed the memory not to remember Victor at all in subsequent years. Unless it was a story that faded away in the public's attention and was never revisited.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera