BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 11, 2019 12:08 pm  #1

Violin playing

I recall reading a canon story where Holmes plays the violin specifically to help Watson get to sleep. The scene takes place in the living room of 221B, and Watson drifts off on the sofa. I am sure this was from the first novel "a Study in Scarlet" but for the life of me I am not able to find this scene there, nor in any of the other novels. I'm pretty sure it is not from one of the short stories. I could be hallucinating - it's a theory that would fit the facts - but I'd be very surprised if this were the case. I would be most grateful if anyone here can help me locate this scene in canon.

July 12, 2019 8:34 am  #2

Re: Violin playing

The only quote I could find at short notice is this: "That he could play pieces, and difficult pieces, I knew well, because at my request he has played me some of Mendelssohn’s Lieder and other favourites.” (Study in Scarlet). However, I cannot remember the scene you mention from Canon but only from many fanfics. Maybe someone else can help?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 12, 2019 9:10 am  #3

Thank you Susigo for your reply. I did suspect it may have been a fanfic I'd read, but remembering my surprise at coming across such a tender scene led me to conclude it must have been a canon story. With the benefit of your opinion on the matter though, I will now check the H&W stories by Katie who writes in canon style.

July 12, 2019 9:56 am  #4

I've found it! I've found it!
It's from The Sign of the Four, where with a few short sentences sneaked into the end of a whole chapter focussing entirely on crime investigation, the great Doyle creates an enduring scene of sweet tenderness without being cloying in the least.
It plants the idea of a growing intimacy in this beautiful friendship in our minds and makes us wonder and imagine, all without insinuating anything. In fact, we're told Watson is actually thinking of Miss Morstan here!

Thank you again SusiGo, your response was my lucky charm here which made me renew my search one last time before giving up and following another lead!

Last edited by Barker (July 12, 2019 9:59 am)

July 12, 2019 7:50 pm  #5

Yes, Holmes plays Watson to sleep, and Watson dreams about Mary Morstan while he's sleeping.

July 13, 2019 10:06 pm  #6

I had completely forgotten that quote from The Sign of the Four (but then again I read that book years ago, before I started watching Sherlock I believe).
I have definitely seen that scenario in fanfic (and written it in my own)!

Clueing for looks.

July 14, 2019 9:34 am  #7

Barker wrote:

I've found it! I've found it!
It's from The Sign of the Four, where with a few short sentences sneaked into the end of a whole chapter focussing entirely on crime investigation, the great Doyle creates an enduring scene of sweet tenderness without being cloying in the least.
It plants the idea of a growing intimacy in this beautiful friendship in our minds and makes us wonder and imagine, all without insinuating anything. In fact, we're told Watson is actually thinking of Miss Morstan here!

Thank you again SusiGo, your response was my lucky charm here which made me renew my search one last time before giving up and following another lead!

So glad you found it, I will have to check it out at once. And Katie's Canon stories are amazing, they are among the best fanfic I have ever read. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera