BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 17, 2019 5:15 pm  #101

Re: New Dracula show for the BBC

Hadn't thought of that Susi, but you're right.  There hasn't been much hype.  Like you, I believe in Mark and Steven enough to give it a chance but I am still very curious about what they're twist on the mythology will be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 17, 2019 7:13 pm  #102

I don't pay attention to hype anyway (not that I avoid it, just that I probably look in the wrong places!) so for me, I've heard more about this than any other upcoming show! 

I'm curious as well!  I was just thinking that there have been so many modern vampire stories, often with sympathetic vampires, that getting closer to the original is almost a twist in itself! 

April 18, 2019 2:15 pm  #103

That's kind of true. There haven't been a lot of "historical" or "period" vampires in a while.

Clueing for looks.

April 21, 2019 8:19 pm  #104

Just back from seeing Mark in London.
He was asked about Dracula: I asume you all saw the story about Benedict's vampire shadow!

Last edited by besleybean (April 21, 2019 8:40 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2019 7:03 am  #105

Yes, I saw the story!  Funny that Sherlock was the inspiration ... although I believe they have always had an interest in the story, especially Mark.  I'm really looking forward to it. 

April 22, 2019 7:27 am  #106

I was discussing with another girl I met there: like I said, vampires really not my thing, but I will watch anything from Mark and Steven.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 22, 2019 4:19 pm  #107

I didn't see that story. But that's interesting that the influence on their work continues outside Sherlock.

Clueing for looks.

April 22, 2019 4:25 pm  #108

Oh, just in case...
From what Mark said at the interview I attended:
-they were in the middle of filming S3.
- they attended some big BBC do.
- Mark bumped into some big BBC exec he knows and just happened to show him the latest image of Sherlock, he had on his phone
- it was the silhouette of Benedict against Mrs Hudson't door.
-Mark sad to the guy; see that, looks like Dracula!
They guy replied: do you want to make that series?

April 22, 2019 9:06 pm  #109

Ha! Interesting, even though I'm sure things might not have been quite as simple as that!

Clueing for looks.

April 23, 2019 5:39 am  #110

We might have to try and remember JUST how successful Sherlock was for them at the time and how it had won all of the awards...

April 23, 2019 2:29 pm  #111

True, but I'm sure there were other conversations following that one.

Clueing for looks.

April 24, 2019 5:46 am  #112

Of course, but the interview question was how did the idea come about.

May 9, 2019 1:16 pm  #113

It seems Van Helsing will be female in this new adaptation.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/8958842/bbc-female-van-helsing-dracula/

Interesting - how will they pull it off, if it´s supposed to take place in Victorian Era proper? Will Van Hellsing be one of those super skillful ninja types Steven Moffatt seems to like?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 12, 2019 10:19 pm  #114

Time will tell! Even if it's less likely in certain periods for women to have been independent, I'm sure there were still some who managed to do it.

Clueing for looks.

June 13, 2019 5:36 am  #115

Mark and Steven have to bring females intot their shows, otherwise they get accused of sexism.....
Then when they do try and create strong, female characters, people criticise them anyway!
(Sorrry, I speak from bitter experience!)

June 13, 2019 10:23 am  #116

I think there are exceptions.  I've been watching Gentleman Jack (recommended!) which shows a very gender-non-conforming and openly lesbian real life person (Anne Lister) from the 18th century.  I think if it was fiction, people would be saying that a woman wouldn't have been able to act like that in those days, but as it's true, I think we can accept that there are occcasional pioneers!  Interested to see how it pans out.

June 13, 2019 5:03 pm  #117

I always think there should be strong female characters (whether that's physically strong, emotionally strong, interesting in any way)! No reason for there not to be women in a story in some way (unless it's a true story where the main players were men, but there's usually a woman somewhere!).
But yes, there were occasional pioneers, as you put it Liberty, in real life! I have been meaning to watch Gentleman Jack, and I actually had it in mind when I was writing my post. And of course, there's Irene Adler, who' something of a strong female character in the original Doyle story. If Doyle could conceive of it at the time, then it wouldn't have been impossible for someone to be at least sort of like that.

This actually reminds me of a brief exchange I had with someone on a page about the show Murdoch Mysteries, which takes place in Toronto at the turn of the 20th Century (it's in the early 1900s at this point in its run). There was discussion of this one character, Detective Watts, who's a younger detective than Detective Murdoch and who is single. Someone thought it would be nice if Watts got a girlfriend in the next season. I said I didn't really see the character needing a partner, mentioning that it could be a man or a woman who he could end up with, but that I didn't really care if he ended up with anyome. Someone replied with "Wasn't it illegal back then?" (referring to homosexuality) I had to laugh! Just because it was illegal doesn't mean it didn't happen! (In fact, in earlier seasons, there was a female character who developed a romantic relationship with another woman! And there have been cases with gay characters in them as one-off characters). So, all that to say, women and minorities have been finding ways to exist the way they want to in some way even in times when it wasn't accepted. Just because it would have been more difficult doesn't mean it was impossible or unrealistic to have a character do that.

Last edited by Yitzock (June 13, 2019 5:03 pm)

Clueing for looks.

June 13, 2019 6:50 pm  #118

@Liberty:  I am loving Gentleman Jack!

June 14, 2019 9:45 am  #119

Actually , it would be more interesting if they made both Dracula and Van Helsing female...
(The first literary vampire, Carmilla, was a female, so it´s not like it never occured before.)
Female Dracula could continue to suck up blood of other young females, just like it happened in the book - it could be huge fun, if the traditional roles are subverted that way.

With male Dracula it could end with a PC cliche "depraved man is punished by righteous strong woman", I´m afraid.

But we will see. Maybe they´ll surprise us?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 14, 2019 4:04 pm  #120

I have no interest in vampires whatsoever....
But I'll watch it, becasue its Mark and Steven.

Board footera