BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2019 6:18 am  #1

Avengers: Endgame

Endgame is here soon. But Benedict´s lips are sealed as to its contents.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 28, 2019 7:13 pm  #2

Re: Avengers: Endgame

I watched it today. Anyone up for a discussion? (Spoiler: I liked it very much). 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 30, 2019 8:23 pm  #3

Hi Susi
I liked it as well but not as much as Infinity War. ;) I liked Thanos as a charakter very much.

I'm not really a Marvel fan and watched only half of all the Marvel films that are out there. But of course I watched Doctor Strange.

SPOILERS from now on.

Of course Dr Strange is one of my favs and I all my attention is on him whenever he appears.
How do you interpret his gesture with the one finger in the last battle? I read there are different interpretations out there. On the one hand I thought he meant with this gesture: THIS scenario is the ONE in which we are winning. On the other hand he made a face some minutes before or afterwards (I can't remember) where he looked totally surprised and a little scared just like he realized: Shit, something in this scenario went wrong.

What do you think?

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

May 2, 2019 4:03 pm  #4

Yes, you are right. I had the same thought: so this is the one good outcome he had seen. Could it be that the fact of Tony's death did sadden him? The price they had to pay for winning against Thanos?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 5, 2019 12:23 pm  #5

Could be but I will have to rewatch it sometime.
Very heartbreaking that Strange asked Thanos to spare Tony's life in Infinity War while he knew he would have to die in the one scenario where they win.
It is a little cold blooded but I think this fits very well to his former charakter as a surgeon. He is the only one to make "unemotional" choices about life and death.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

May 17, 2019 2:20 pm  #6

Rache wrote:

How do you interpret his gesture with the one finger in the last battle? I read there are different interpretations out there. ...

For me it was a message to Tony saying "There is only ONE scenario where we win - so if necessary you'll have to take the gauntlet even though it will kill you."

But I only watched the film once and in 3D and with subtitles, so I've probably missed a lot. On the other hand, I didn't really enjoy it so I won't watch again (pretty much the only enjoyable moment that sticks in my memory is Steve saying "that's really America's ass" to his earlier self - IMHO he was not talking about his glutes  )

What destroyed my enjoyment (apart of course Tony dying) is the fact that an Earth with 4 billion inhabitants wouldn't be particularly empty (so the pictures of New York deserted didn't make any sense to me), and that bringing 4 billion people back after 5 years, when the survivors have moved on (into the jobs and the houses) would result in so many problems that I really can't consider it a happy end.

I'm mostly just happy that this saga is now over and I can take a step back and patiently wait for Doctor Strange 2.

July 11, 2023 7:34 pm  #7

@BrianPowers your post is much too late - Dr. Strange in the Multiverse of Madness came out in 2022.

July 12, 2023 5:52 am  #8

Glad you said  that, thought I was going mad.
Pretty sure I have the DVD, sitting on my shelf!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 12, 2023 10:32 am  #9

Looks like a spam poster.  A little bit cleverer than some in trying to follow the topic!  I'll delete it.

July 14, 2023 4:42 pm  #10

besleybean wrote:

Glad you said  that, thought I was going mad.
Pretty sure I have the DVD, sitting on my shelf!

I'm pretty sure I won't ever have the DVD, but I do remember that I went to the cinema to see it in 3D. Because I'll forever regret not seeing the first Dr. Strange in 3D. Or Imax - or does Imax 3D exist? But all I remember from the Multiverse of Madness is that I found it abysmally bad, completely forgettable.

Also the whole Multiverse idea gives Marvel/Disney license to do whatever they want in the movies - if it doesn't fit in the continuity, well, it happens in a parallel universe, so what... Whereas I actually liked phase 1 and 2, when the movies could stand alone, but at the same time were pieces of a puzzle.

July 14, 2023 4:44 pm  #11

Funny thing is...
later that day, I cleared up in this living room-
and I found said DVD, sitting by the TV!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 15, 2023 9:30 am  #12

That's funny!  I have very few DVDs. Decluttered a load of stuff last year, and honestly watch just about everything streaming now.
Ah 3D, now as I'm approaching my seventh decade, I still haven't decided if I like the experience or not! I need to get back to the cinema. Have been doing live music for my nights out and cinema has gone by the by.

July 15, 2023 11:20 am  #13

Avatar is the only 3D film I have ever seen...
I did quite enjoy that.

July 17, 2023 10:35 pm  #14

I am mostly disappointed by 3D, in most cases "real movies" are not half as effective as special 3D films in places like the Futuroscope. I believe there was one scene in The Hobbit where the 3D was amazing. Or maybe two... (I missed Avatar in the cinema).
Regarding DVDs, I am very happy that so many people are getting rid of them because it means that I can pick them up really cheap My internet connection/equipment is not up to streaming.

July 18, 2023 6:14 am  #15

I know, I rarely enjoy watching a show on my laptop....
unless it's a DVD.

July 18, 2023 7:16 am  #16

I used to use my PC for watching things and I did have a fair sized screen for it, but now it's always my laptop (or even my phone!) and it's not quite the same. I should really get a TV to replace the old style bulky one that I got rid of years ago! I have never actually owned a modern flat screen TV!  I have only very recently stopped playing CDs in my car, when I found out I could stream Spotify with a wee gadget!

July 18, 2023 7:28 am  #17

My youngest uses 'the gadget thing', blutooth or something, for a phone play list....
I just use the radio!

July 18, 2023 11:32 am  #18

Yes, bluetooth, that's the one. And control it with my smartphone. I've gone all 21st century! I don't own a radio any more either! For CDs, apart from my car, I have a machine not much bigger than a CD that plugs into my laptop, but mainly use it just to rip music that I want to store. 
I still have a small DVD and CD collection of ones I can't bear to get rid of, but not really watching the DVDs!

July 18, 2023 12:26 pm  #19

I have tons of CDS and DVDs that I now never listen to nor watch!

July 18, 2023 8:49 pm  #20

Yes, that's what I was finding.  I'd just accumulated too much and it was like a catalogue of my interests over the years, rather than a collection that I was actually using. I have kept a few things, even a couple of casette tapes, and got something that looks like Walkman to transfer them to the laptop!

Board footera